WEEK 10 JV & JH SCORES

Demaskis
Users

Re: WEEK 10 JV & JH SCORES

Post by Demaskis »

OskeeWowWow wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:16 pm
Eagle 1 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:23 pm
OskeeWowWow wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:12 am De Leon's junior high finishes 15-1, losing only to Goldthwaite's spectacular 7th grade group. 8th grade was dominant, with only Coleman and San Saba competitive.

JV started 7-0 before losing 6 starters, one to varsity and 5 to injury, finishing 7-3. Tolar won convincingly with a great JV, lost a last second heart breaker to Hamilton after losing QB in 2nd half, and gave Coleman's solid JV a scare with a skeleton squad.

Average scores vs opponents on the season in a tough district:
7th: 27-9
8th: 41-7
JV: 31-9

Things looking up in Bearcat land very soon.
That’s what happened with Goldthwaite’s JV squad by the time they played DeLeon, we were missing key starters that week. Our eight grade has improved with the help of a very fast move in, I just hope he’s around in the future.
Our 7th grade is very very promising right now, but so was our last year’s Seniors when they were in 7th grade.
Any chance that DeLeon moves up a classification in the future? Good luck to the Bearcats until we meet again.
I would be very surprised if we flirt with 3A again anytime in the near future. There's no nice way to say it, so I'll be blunt.... there are a LOT of kids in the JR/SR classes who just don't contribute to the extracurriculars or really much of anything. It has shown in our athletic programs. As one of the biggest 2A enrollments in the state we look a lot more like a D2 school on the sideline. In reality we are a lot closer to Cross Plains than Tolar. From the 9th grade on down to elementary, though, there is a really nice wave coming, with engaged parents (what makes Goldy and Mason and Crawford, etc. so consistent) and talented kids.

Good luck to you guys, too. I have a little one in elementary and I know you guys have a dynamite group there coming up soon, also. I foresee some great battles over the next decade.
From all the scores I have over the season I'm pretty sure our district went.

JV Champ - Tolar
8th Champ - DeLeon
7th Champ - Goldthwaite
Eagle 1
Site Admin

Post by Eagle 1 »

Goldthwaite JV beat Tolar and could have beat Coleman, they just had a couple bad plays and Coleman played keep
away with the ball pretty good.
I think it was Tolar’s first JV loss in a couple years.
OskeeWowWow
Users

Post by OskeeWowWow »

Demaskis wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:35 pm
OskeeWowWow wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:16 pm
Eagle 1 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:23 pm

That’s what happened with Goldthwaite’s JV squad by the time they played DeLeon, we were missing key starters that week. Our eight grade has improved with the help of a very fast move in, I just hope he’s around in the future.
Our 7th grade is very very promising right now, but so was our last year’s Seniors when they were in 7th grade.
Any chance that DeLeon moves up a classification in the future? Good luck to the Bearcats until we meet again.
I would be very surprised if we flirt with 3A again anytime in the near future. There's no nice way to say it, so I'll be blunt.... there are a LOT of kids in the JR/SR classes who just don't contribute to the extracurriculars or really much of anything. It has shown in our athletic programs. As one of the biggest 2A enrollments in the state we look a lot more like a D2 school on the sideline. In reality we are a lot closer to Cross Plains than Tolar. From the 9th grade on down to elementary, though, there is a really nice wave coming, with engaged parents (what makes Goldy and Mason and Crawford, etc. so consistent) and talented kids.

Good luck to you guys, too. I have a little one in elementary and I know you guys have a dynamite group there coming up soon, also. I foresee some great battles over the next decade.
From all the scores I have over the season I'm pretty sure our district went.

JV Champ - Tolar
8th Champ - DeLeon
7th Champ - Goldthwaite
I don't know about standings but that is what my eyeball test settled on as well.
OskeeWowWow
Users

Post by OskeeWowWow »

Eagle 1 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:39 pm Goldthwaite JV beat Tolar and could have beat Coleman, they just had a couple bad plays and Coleman played keep
Wow, did not realize that. Not surprised though, that GWaite freshmen group was impressive in JH.
Eagle 1
Site Admin

Post by Eagle 1 »

OskeeWowWow wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:42 pm
Eagle 1 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:39 pm Goldthwaite JV beat Tolar and could have beat Coleman, they just had a couple bad plays and Coleman played keep
Wow, did not realize that. Not surprised though, that GWaite freshmen group was impressive in JH.
And we have Sophomores on varsity that should be still on the JV, but they had to get moved up because of injuries and other discipline issues.
We have got to do something about our defense in the off season. I heard that Brownwood had some Howard Payne coaches visit with their coaches last spring and helped them with their defense. Brownwood just won their first outright district championship tonight in a while. So obviously it payed off.
Demaskis
Users

Post by Demaskis »

So at JV level we are looking at a 3 way tie for 1st in our district? I mean we all know there's no District champs for JH or JV but it's fun to keep up with. And I know the players know lol. So Coleman lost to Tolar, Tolar lost to Goldthwaite and Goldthwaite lost to Coleman. Full circle 3 way tie? Coleman has bangs this week but Tolar is our only JV district loss.
OskeeWowWow
Users

Post by OskeeWowWow »

Just my opinion, I felt Tolar JV was better than Coleman's, but did not see GW's healthy. And frankly I thought De Leon's healthy would have had a great shot against Coleman's (and did beat GW's banged up bunch). It was all pretty competitive and fun. It would have been nice for our freshman stud to get to play a year of JV, but he was keeping our varsity's head afloat.

I thought Coleman and De Leon had the most consistently good sub varsity programs, collectively, with GW's 8th grade group probably keeping them from being right there.

All just my eye test, which means absolutely nothing, of course. It is both fun and frustrating to be in a district with so many programs on the upswing.