Favorites in 2020

PurplePunch
Users

Re: Favorites in 2020

Post by PurplePunch »

I can’t imagine an ‘air raid’ strategy, but with a 6’3” 210# QB, two 6’ 200# receivers, and smaller running backs, I can see a willingness to change from a running back focused offense to one that spreads it around via RPOs, etc.
Good teams tend to load up against the run when you are predictably ground oriented. The head coach and OC were college teammates 15 years ago. They are more outcome focused than process focused, it seems.
ganadofan1
Donating Member 22-23

Post by ganadofan1 »

You can either spread it out and throw it or you can put the qb at RB. Back in 2003 we put a 6' 220 lb qb at rb and he did just fine. He was like a hummer but ran a 4.9 forty. He did have a kickoff return for a td against Poth in Victoria in 2003 and it made Friday Night highlights on Fox Sports. He looked like slow motion.

You have to do like Herring and adapt the system to your personnel from year to year.
PurplePunch
Users

Post by PurplePunch »

ganadofan1 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:29 pm You can either spread it out and throw it or you can put the qb at RB. Back in 2003 we put a 6' 220 lb qb at rb and he did just fine. He was like a hummer but ran a 4.9 forty. He did have a kickoff return for a td against Poth in Victoria in 2003 and it made Friday Night highlights on Fox Sports. He looked like slow motion.

You have to do like Herring and adapt the system to your personnel from year to year.
Your last sentence says it all.
ganadofan1
Donating Member 22-23

Post by ganadofan1 »

I never have been a big fan of Herring and the whole ESPN thing he had going on years ago but it does seem like he has since calmed down and is more respected.
PurplePunch
Users

Post by PurplePunch »

With a light quick line, 160# RBs to choose from, a 6’ 200# athlete at TE/Hback, a 6’ 200# SE, and four quick slot types, I can’t see ground/pound. But I don’t see air raid either, although these are unusually polished receivers. The senior QB has grown to 6’3 210, runs 4.6ish, and can chunk the ball.
Defense will still be the emphasis, no doubt, and the offense will be physical regardless of alignment. But this team won’t get out of Region 4 if the run/pass split is 80/20 again. IMHO, of course.
Razorback
Boss Hawg

Post by Razorback »

H.TIGFAN wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:33 pm
ManInBlack wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:07 am Who do you think will be the favorites in 2020? Not sure what everyone across the state has coming back, but my Top 5 would be something like this:

#1 - Shiner (Senior heavy team, tons of playmakers)
#2 - Post (Bring back almost all starters from 2019, possible #1)
#3 - Cisco (Good year in 3A-D2, dropping down)
#4 - San Augustine (Think they bring back a good amount)
#5 - Refugio (Lose a lot, but the Champs are always in the mix)
Trying to find something to debate you about, but I cant argue with your list.

Mart easily #1 in Division 2.
Same here. Hard to find fault in his list. But who knows which team will step up and be the giant slayers..
ProfessorJones
Users

Post by ProfessorJones »

ganadofan1 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:19 am I never have been a big fan of Herring and the whole ESPN thing he had going on years ago but it does seem like he has since calmed down and is more respected.
He has for sure calmed down. Last year Refugio’s starters did not play past halftime in 6 games. All 5 district games and the first playoff game.
It’s a pretty good day when you’re on your way and you like where you’re going, and you’ve got what you want and you want what you’ve got and you’re wise enough to know it.
PurplePunch
Users

Post by PurplePunch »

My problem with Herring back in ‘14 was his refusal to accept their loss to Mason. He brought an extremely entitled and undisciplined team to Heroes, they had a ton of senseless penalties and two ejections, but could have had more. He deflected blame, until photos and film ruined those claims. The interview with the Advocate was self-serving. He was everything the people from Sonora said.

He changed and grew professionally. He acknowledged Canadian’s dominance in ‘15. His teams became more disciplined and focused, he proved his ability to fit scheme to personnel, and willingly undid a mistake when his personnel changed and grew. Since the horror of the hurricane he has seemed to be a model coach. He has proven he loves the kids and wants the best for them, and he is an exceptional big game coach.

Personally, I didn’t have a huge problem with the scores because it’s on the other coach to build a program and be competitive when you have a Refugio in your district. That’s if the coach is taking out the first bunch with a 40 pt lead in the second half, as he has been doing. If their second team is running all over your first, build your program. Starters on a quality team get cheated out of needed playing time, conditioning, and stats in weak districts, and coaches don’t get to pick their district. No one can accuse Coach Herring of ducking tough competition in games he gets to pick. I salute him.
ProfessorJones
Users

Post by ProfessorJones »

So it looks like next year, Shiner and Mason would play first, and then Refugio would get the winner in the Region Finals, assuming they all got to those games.
It’s a pretty good day when you’re on your way and you like where you’re going, and you’ve got what you want and you want what you’ve got and you’re wise enough to know it.
Comanchealumni06
Ambassador Region 4

Post by Comanchealumni06 »

Yes that’s what it looks like. Since Shiner is in District 13
Shiner Comanches
State Champs
Football 1986, 2004, 2020, 2021
Softball 2001, 2002, 2008, 2011, 2015, 2016
Baseball 1981, 1992, 2002, 2004
Tennis Mixed Doubles 2007
Track Girls Team 2016 Boys Team 2021