CONCUSSIONS, BOUNTIES AND SUSPENSIONS ... OH MY!

Making that money!
GoldenToe

CONCUSSIONS, BOUNTIES AND SUSPENSIONS ... OH MY!

Postby GoldenToe » Thu May 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Just wondering what some of you guys think about the recent NFL suspensions and the lawsuits being filed by some of the old-timers. Shocked to see Bob Lilly among those filing the lawsuit.

My two cents: The players knew what the game was all about when they signed their contract. Football is a contact sport with concussive collisions. Don't be surprised if you get your bell rung. I laugh that Tony Dorsett has sued the NFL. He made a boatload of money and then blew it all on a lavish lifestyle. Only reason he's suing is for the cash.

Caveat: In the days of Lilly, the players made much less money and most had regular jobs in the off-season. When they got hit in the head, the team "doctor" would crack open an ammonia inhalant and send the player back in. Guys like that ought to get some monetary reparation.

As for the bounties, the only people really upset are the wussy sportswriters who never put on a jock strap in their lives. This kind of junk has gone on forever and is mostly in fun or to motivate the players to play hard. The NFL has absolutely ruined a great football team by dismantling it in the name of political correctness. Poor Drew Brees ain't getting any younger and you've basically stripped him of his team.

As for the vicious hits, I think the helmet to helmet contact has to end. These guys are too big and too fast. Make it a rule that if you lead with your helmet, you're immediately tossed from the game and the next game, too WITHOUT PAY. Players must lead with their shoulders or torso and not hit anyone above the shoulder pads at any time.

Make the rule and enforce the rule and the players will adjust. They better do something soon ... before someone gets killed.

Now... what do you goobers think?

"Pro football is like nuclear warfare. There are no winners, only survivors." ~Frank Gifford, RB, NY Giants, 1950's-60's

"I like to believe that my best hits border on felonious assault." ~Jack Tatum, DB, Oakland Raiders 1970's

dogfan1
Administrator

Re: CONCUSSIONS, BOUNTIES AND SUSPENSIONS ... OH MY!

Postby dogfan1 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:00 pm

I wonder if I have any money coming. The trainer used to shove amonia in my nose once or twice a game. He got smacked once pretty hard when I was in lala land.

iola fan
Donating Member 16/17

Postby iola fan » Sun May 27, 2012 2:19 am

Yes all this stuff is kind of ridiculous! I agree about the helmet to helmet hits but they are going off the deep end when they talk about football at every level. Its a violent sport and everybody knows that going in. As for the professional football players nobody made them play at that level and they get paid plenty good enough to do so nowadays. I like Golic's comment about Kurt Warner complaining when he said he could've avoided injury by continuing to bag groceries.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed May 30, 2012 2:21 pm

I wonder how many of these injuries were from high school and college ball before they knew about the dangers of concussions. You would think the pros always had the best technology.

Return to “Pro Football”