WEEK 1 COMMENTS.

H.TIGFAN
Site Mods

WEEK 1 COMMENTS.

Post by H.TIGFAN »

Anything that grabbed your attention in Week 1. Any milestones reached for coach or program.

Doesn't have to be 2A .
H.TIGFAN
Site Mods

Re: WEEK 1 COMMENTS.

Post by H.TIGFAN »

1. Both Water Valley and Sterling City who came up from 6-Man last realignment won their games. Water Valley won 80-19 over Abilene TLC, and Sterling City over Odessa Compass Academy 68-0.

2. Both new TLC schools lost by a big margin in Week 1. Mildland TLC lost to MIles 0-69, & Abilene TLC lost to Water Valley 19-80
H.TIGFAN
Site Mods

Post by H.TIGFAN »

Division1

Region 1
1. How good is Farwell ? Was this an upset over New Deal in Week 1 ?
2. Hawley made short work over Jim Ned in Game of the Week in this region.

Region 2
1. Olney not only won, but shutout Alvord 31-0.
2. Tolar won over a tough 3A Div 1 team in Peaster.
3. Didn't expect Italy to lose to Scurry-Rosser this week 41-19
4. Cross Roads won in their first game back in UIL competition. They played an Independent schedule last two years. Cross Roads destroyed Tyler ALl Saints 54-18
5. Marlin's loss to Crockett may not have been an upset. Crockett is expected to be good at the 3A DIv. 1 level.

Region 3
1. Timpson won the Game of the Week in 2A last Thursday 53-22
2. Joaquin had an impressive win over Arp to open the season.
3. Corrigan-Camden had what looks like an unimpressive win after all the fan fare this off season.
4. West Hardin lost by an extra point as they return to UIL competition after an one year absence. .

Region 4.
1. How long has it been since Shiner and Refugio lost in the same week ?
2. Mason and Coleman played a surprisingly close defensive game.
H.TIGFAN
Site Mods

Post by H.TIGFAN »

Division 2

Region 1
1. Upset : Booker over Wheeler 16-6
2. Seagraves had an impressive shutout victory over Lockney 30-0.

Region 2
1. Bells defeated Muenster. Bells is a very good 3A team. Nobody heres about Bell's success since Gunter is usually in their district. So not rally an upset over Muenster.
2. Two surprise teams from last year faced off in Week 1. Eldorado held on in an defensive classic over Christoval 7-0.
3. Albany barely escaped an upset with an come from behind victory over Lubbock Trinity Chr. 19-15.

Region 3
1. Mart did Mart things in their opening win over Paris Chisum 54-0
2. Dawson had an eye-opening win over a good Rio Vista team..
3. Hico's 46-6 win over Bruceville-Eddy was also an eye-opener win.
4. Price Carlisle drops to Division 2, and proves to be a force with a shutout victory over Harleton.

Region 4
1. Chilton looks like the early picks to be the favorites to come out of Region 4 this year.
2. How far has Falls City fallen since last year ?
Eagle 1
Site Admin

Post by Eagle 1 »

Shiner, Mason, and Refugio all lost on the same night. Un heard of.

Muenster loss seem to be an upset as well as Marlin.

Crawford is really good if they can stay healthy.
It’s going to be a tough year for Goldthwaite. :doh:
Comanchealumni06
Ambassador Region 4

Post by Comanchealumni06 »

Yeah… craziness in region 4. Shiner, Refugio, Mason and throw in Falls City! I’ll add in East Bernard in 3AD2. All of those powerhouse programs lost on the same night… I’m still scratching my head over it! Of all of these losses, Shiners was mostly the result of shooting themselves in the foot. Penalties on top of penalties! But it’s deeper then that. They have some work to do. I think they’ll bounce back. Coaches actually missed most of the second scrimmage as it was canceled due to lightning. So I have a feeling this game will be used to make a lot of adjustments they weren’t able to see beforehand.
Shiner Comanches
State Champs
Football 1986, 2004, 2020, 2021
Softball 2001, 2002, 2008, 2011, 2015, 2016
Baseball 1981, 1992, 2002, 2004
Tennis Mixed Doubles 2007
Track Girls Team 2016 Boys Team 2021
Marching Band 2013, 2022
B-MoneyBJJ
Users

Post by B-MoneyBJJ »

To me the biggest shock of week 1 across all divisions was Rogers upsetting Little River in their big rivalry game. Little River returned pretty much their entire team from last year that finished 11-2 and lost a nail biter to Diboll in the 3rd round in 3A D1. Last week I watched Holland torch Rogers through the air with ease in their final scrimmage. I honestly did not expect Rogers to win 2 or 3 games this year, much less, upset LRA.

Holland may be better than what I expected this year, lost to a good Burton team 21-18 that scored 14 points off of Holland turnovers. We will know more about Burton this week when they play Hearne. I believe region 4 in D2 will come down to Chilton or Burton. Granger had some move ins from big schools that will make a good impact for them, but they play Thorndale and Holland in back to back weeks so we will see if they will have a say in D2 Region 4 as well.

Mart may lack the quality of skill position players they've had in the past, but they arguably have the best Dline and Oline I have ever seen from a Mart team this year. So they will continue to do Mart things this season, would not be shocked to see them at the championship game again this year.

Refugio may have 2 losses before district if Edna has anything to say about it. But, make no mistake Refugio is still a Top 3 team in the state. They have some burners and Region 4 still runs through Shiner and Refugio. Mason, Thorndale, Ganado, Schulenburg, or Holland, could all make a lot of noise in any other region this year, but they aren't within 3 TDs of those two.

Crawford, Marlin, and Coleman look to be the early favorites in Region 2.

Right now the biggest gap I see in any region is in region 3 with Timpson. Assuming they stay healthy I do not see anyone being able to compete with them. They may get revenge on region 4 this year with Shiner and Refugio being much more vulnerable than they have been the last 6 or so years.

Region 1 looks like the most fun, non lopsided region in the state. A lot of solid teams that will be in the playoffs. In every other region there are clear favorites and then everyone else. In region 1 it is hard to tell this early.
Last edited by B-MoneyBJJ on Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabriel
Users

Post by Gabriel »

Hopefully you do a thread like this every week. Good info here.
Gabriel
Users

Post by Gabriel »

H.TIGFAN wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:09 pm Division1

Region 1
1. How good is Farwell ? Was this an upset over New Deal in Week 1 ?
2. Hawley made short work over Jim Ned in Game of the Week in this region.

Region 2
1. Olney not only won, but shutout Alvord 31-0.
2. Tolar won over a tough 3A Div 1 team in Peaster.
3. Didn't expect Italy to lose to Scurry-Rosser this week 41-19
4. Cross Roads won in their first game back in UIL competition. They played an Independent schedule last two years. Cross Roads destroyed Tyler ALl Saints 54-18
5. Marlin's loss to Crockett may not have been an upset. Crockett is expected to be good at the 3A DIv. 1 level.

Region 3
1. Timpson won the Game of the Week in 2A last Thursday 53-22
2. Joaquin had an impressive win over Arp to open the season.
3. Corrigan-Camden had what looks like an unimpressive win after all the fan fare this off season.
4. West Hardin lost by an extra point as they return to UIL competition after an one year absence. .

Region 4.
1. How long has it been since Shiner and Refugio lost in the same week ?
2. Mason and Coleman played a surprisingly close defensive game.

Taking nothing away from Joaquin but arp has a new coach and holes to fill. I wasn't surprised by the score, but what many people probably don't realize is Joaquins top athlete was out for the game.
Piper
Donating Member 21-22

Post by Piper »

D1 region 1. HAWLEY. They face a very good Cisco week 11 to decide district, but that could come back around to get out of region 1. Stratford hasn’t missed a step going up. Farwell over New Deal week 1.