Region I Week 3

TroRAntelope
Ambassador Region 1

Region I Week 3

Post by TroRAntelope »

GOTW
Vega( 2-0) Vs Panhandle( 0-2) The Longhorns have outscored their first 2 opponents 105-36, while the Panthers, preseason picks to win D1-Dist 1, are struggling to get in the win column after a loss to 3A-DII Childress and a 35-34 squeaker to Gruver.

Other games of note. There are some great teams playing some weaker opponents this week. Trying to gauge contenders and pretenders...
Hawley @ Merkel
Coleman @ Brady
Goldthwaite @ Olney
Stratford vs Lakin, KS
Wheeler @ Quanah
H.TIGFAN
Site Mods

Re: Region I Week 3

Post by H.TIGFAN »

Vega over Panhandle by 28

Hawley @ Merkel - Hawley by 10
Coleman @ Brady - Coleman by 1
Goldthwaite @ Olney - Goldthwaite by 40
Stratford vs Lakin, KS - Stratford by 14
Wheeler @ Quanah - Quanah by 3
Eagle 1
Site Admin

Post by Eagle 1 »

H.TIGFAN wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:14 pm Vega over Panhandle by 28

Olney is not the same team as last year.
If we don’t get our starters back and start putting 8 in the box, I’m not sure how this will come out.
I know it’s a non-district game, but you have got hate to lose if you want to win.
TroRAntelope
Ambassador Region 1

Post by TroRAntelope »

When i picked the game I certainly didn't think it was a 40pt game, but I've missed a bunch of them early this season.

This game is a prime example of what I was describing as exposing the contenders and pretenders. It will tell us a lot about both the Eagles and Cubs.

Olney was damned good there for a period during the 80s when I was growing up. They had some of the Paul kids, related to the folks in Munday. Also IIRC, a QB named Enloe that was pretty danged good. Of course all of that is without looking anything up on the googletron. It's been a while since they were a serious playoff caliber team.
HawleyRocks
Donating Member 22-23

Post by HawleyRocks »

Vega over Panhandle by 35 or whatever they want to score/win by... This one looks like a real mismatch.

Hawley @ Merkel - Hawley by 14 plus - Hawley continues to get better and has a ton of speed, we should be at 100 % this week personnel wise. Our Defense is pretty solid with 10 turnovers in 2 games.
Coleman @ Brady - Coleman by 7 - Coleman played a great game against Anson Friday night, I'm looking for more of the same.
Goldthwaite @ Olney - Goldthwaite by 40 - I agree that Olney is getting better, but Goldy will be too much for them.
Stratford vs Lakin, KS - Stratford by 7 - Have no clue on this one, but going with Stratford nonetheless.
Wheeler @ Quanah - Wheeler by 7 - These two look pretty evenly match, but I know nothing about either of them, so we shall see...
Hawley Bearcats
2A D1 State Champions 2022-2023
Bearcat Fan Since 1962
H.TIGFAN
Site Mods

Post by H.TIGFAN »

Eagle 1 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:51 pm

If we don’t get our starters back and start putting 8 in the box, I’m not sure how this will come out.
I know it’s a non-district game, but you have got hate to lose if you want to win.
I have Goldthwaite as my surprise team of Region 1 this year. When you look back at the end of the season, you will likely see Goldthwaite played Crawford one of their closest games of the year. Goldthwaite already beat a Cross Plains team that beat them last year. I see Goldthwaite getting 2nd in district, and possibly making a surprise run in the playoffs.
Eagle 1
Site Admin

Post by Eagle 1 »

H.TIGFAN wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:47 am
Eagle 1 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:51 pm

I have Goldthwaite as my surprise team of Region 1 this year. When you look back at the end of the season, you will likely see Goldthwaite played Crawford one of their closest games of the year. Goldthwaite already beat a Cross Plains team that beat them last year. I see Goldthwaite getting 2nd in district, and possibly making a surprise run in the playoffs.
Well I hope your right, and if we could get all our starters healthy at one time then maybe.
I think Coleman is the surprise team in the region.
H.TIGFAN
Site Mods

Post by H.TIGFAN »

Coleman is the surprise team I didn't see coming.
Eagle 1
Site Admin

Post by Eagle 1 »

H.TIGFAN wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:36 pm Coleman is the surprise team I didn't see coming.
A good linebacker in Coleman.
They were a decent team last year until Covid got them.
Eagle 1
Site Admin

Post by Eagle 1 »

Goldthwaite 27, Cross Plains 0

GOLDTHWAITE – The Goldthwaite Eagles picked up their first victory of the 2021 campaign by handing the Cross Plains Buffaloes their initial defeat, 27-0, here Friday night.

Goldthwaite (1-1) scored one touchdown in each quarter – a 4-yard run by Luke Sanderson in the first period; an 8-yard pass from Jackson Patrick to Aaron Anzua in the second; a 7-yard carry by Lane Evans in the third; and a 40-yard gallop by Evans in the fourth.

The Eagles churned out 334 yards of total offense, with 296 coming on the ground. Evans tallied 79 yards rushing followed by Sanderson with 76, Patrick with 74 and Seth Gardner with 59. Through the air, Patrick connected on 3 of 8 passes for 38 yards.

Cross Plains (1-1) was limited to 139 yards of total offense – 92 through the air and 47 on the ground. Kade Purvis completed 14 of 23 passes for 92 yards as Spade Koenig caught four for 22 yards, Cason Allen grabbed three for 32 yards and Asher Moses hauled in two for 26 yards. On the ground, Allen led the way with 45 yards.

Next week Goldthwaite ventures to Olney (1-1), coming off a 20-18 loss to Petrolia, while Cross Plains welcomes Haskell (1-1), which fell to Archer City, 34-14, Friday night.

Coleman 33, Anson 6

ANSON – The Coleman Bluecats kept their early-season unbeaten record intact with a convincing 33-6 road victory over the Anson Tigers Friday night.

After posting a 24-0 win over Miles last week in a game that ended after one quarter due to a lightning storm, Coleman (2-0) manufactured 581 yards of total offense – 401 rushing and 180 passing – against the Anson (1-1) defense.

The Bluecats scored on passes of 54 and 73 yards from Jadin Jackson to Devinar Roberson in the first quarter, a 28-yard Christian Villeda field goal and a 60-yard Ryland Gentry sprint in the second, and another 26-yard run from Gentry along with a 33-yard boot from Villeda in the fourth.

Anson mustered its only points in the second period on a 15-yard touchdown pass.

Jackson finished with 180 yards passing and a pair of scores while Gentry rushed for 170 yards with two trips to the end zone. Jackson also chipped in 91 yards on the ground while R.J. Wright added 24 rushing yards. Along with Roberson’s 127 receiving yards and two scores on two catches, Genry hauled in a 22-yard reception, and Braxton Smith finished with two grabs for 20 yards.

Next week, Coleman visits Brady (2-0), a 46-19 winner over Comanche Friday night, in a battle of unbeatens.