How's your non-district schedule look this year? Any opponent that seems random or far away?

WellingtonSkyrocket
Users

How's your non-district schedule look this year? Any opponent that seems random or far away?

Post by WellingtonSkyrocket »

Hello folks...finally that time of year we've all been waiting for! I was checking Wellington's schedule and saw some pretty random games. Made me curious what other schools have some interesting looking schedules as far as opponents, distance, or teams you don't ever play or have never played before. I don't expect anyone else to make a "report" like this but it was fun to research for my own curiosity so figured I'd share.

When I was in school we'd play other small towns in the area. Wellington is definitely travling this year. Every school is in a bigger classification and we're even playing a 4A Prep School and a 5A school in Oklahoma. Wellington is in the middle of nowhere so traveling kind of has to happen but it's neat to see new opponents from pretty far away. Very different list of opponents from when I was in school for sure. ALthough I do remember when Canadian would play folks in Kansas and some other schools in the Pandhandle would play New Mexico teams...always thought that was neat.

Week 1: Travling to Duncan Oklahoma (2.5 hours away) to play a 5A Oklahoma team that made the playoffs last year (looks like they lost in the 1st round). Maxpreps has them ranked #21 in pre-season poll.

Week 2: Having a home game against Episcopal School of Dallas, a 4A Prep School. Had we went to them it'd be a 4 hour trip.

Week 3: Going 2.5 hours to play #8 New Deal. We beat them last year 22-14 so I imagine they'll be wanting revenge, and we're playing in their home staidum so should be tough.

Week 4: Hosting a game against River Road. They're 3A D1 so nice to play a bigger school with more depth. We beat them last year 26-20 so, like New Deal, I imagine they'll be fired up to get revenge.

Week 5: Home game against Gruver. This is about the most "normal" matchup compared to when I was in school.

Week 6: Neutral site game against Jacksboro. I haven't even heard of this school until we played them last year (3 hours from Wellington, we won 8-6 so hard fought game it looks like). They're also a 3A playoff team from last year.

Week 7: Neutral game against Valley View. I also hadn't heard of this school until we played them last year (we won 60-8) but they're a 3A school that's 3.5 hours from Wellington.

Of the 7 opponents:

Shortest Distance Between Schools: 109 miles (River Road)
Longest Distance Between Schools: 272 miles (Episcopal School of Dallas)
Total Mileage Between Schools: 1,267 miles (average of 181 miles or about 3 hours)

For your respective school are you playing anyone from far away or a much bigger opponent (or anything random)? Curious what else is out there. Good luck to everyone this season!
H.TIGFAN
Site Mods

Re: How's your non-district schedule look this year? Any opponent that seems random or far away?

Post by H.TIGFAN »

Maybe Jim's OK Tire shop bribed the Athletic Director to make that schedule . LOL
Comanchealumni06
Ambassador Region 4

Re: How's your non-district schedule look this year? Any opponent that seems random or far away?

Post by Comanchealumni06 »

Shiner plays Wall in week 6 at a neutral site. And SA Davenport, who plays an outlaw schedule until the next alignment. But last report I saw has them at 4AD1 numbers. And will perhaps make the 5AD2 cut. That will be an interesting one as well.
Shiner Comanches
State Champs
Football 1986, 2004, 2020, 2021
Softball 2001, 2002, 2008, 2011, 2015, 2016
Baseball 1981, 1992, 2002, 2004
Tennis Mixed Doubles 2007
Track Girls Team 2016 Boys Team 2021
Marching Band 2013, 2022
Windthorstfan
Site Admin

Post by Windthorstfan »

Nobody wants to play to Wellington!! It’s a struggle all good teams seem to have. Kind of funny y’all are playing Jacksboro, pretty sure they dropped us despite only being 45 minutes away. Granted some of that could have been our inability to field separate junior high teams at the time.
H.TIGFAN
Site Mods

Post by H.TIGFAN »

Windthorstfan wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:00 pm Nobody wants to play to Wellington!! It’s a struggle all good teams seem to have. Kind of funny y’all are playing Jacksboro, pretty sure they dropped us despite only being 45 minutes away. Granted some of that could have been our inability to field separate junior high teams at the time.
I remember when Hico was a good team in the early 2010s. Nobody would play us. We wound up playing Archer City, and teams near Austin to make up our non-district schedule. Now we had some down years, close teams call us .
Piper
Donating Member 21-22

Post by Piper »

Last 4 years or so we have had a tough for a purpose non district schedule, thinking back to 2018-19 We had a lot of firsts for non district I’ll have to look them up and report. Stratford several years ago, Windthorst, keeping Albany even tho we moved out of district. Hawley last 4 years has been ranked high DI. We play up expect Albany all of our non district. At the time this was all scheduled we were turned down by a lot of 3a teams. We have gone from Lubbock region 1 to region 2 north last several years. Expect some normalcy after this season when we have a lot of DI 2a schools within 40 miles to play. Albany, Anson, Stamford, Hawley, Haskell, Merkel (3a) Jim Ned (3a) used to be our regular old 2a (3a dII) district. Miss that district, most of us lost numbers after the bust and started dropping.
Windthorstfan
Site Admin

Post by Windthorstfan »

Also teams need to pick their “poison”. What are your goals for the season? IMO a team isn’t going to improve through the season if there every week is a cupcake. Coaches not only have to find a willing partner, they also need to find teams that will be somewhat competitive.
Windthorstfan
Site Admin

Post by Windthorstfan »

UIL doesn’t help with odd number of teams in a district and then closer teams are in even number team districts.
Windthorstfan
Site Admin

Post by Windthorstfan »

WellingtonSkyrocket wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:38 pm Week 1: Travling to Duncan Oklahoma (2.5 hours away) to play a 5A Oklahoma team that made the playoffs last year (looks like they lost in the 1st round). Maxpreps has them ranked #21 in pre-season poll.

Week 2: Having a home game against Episcopal School of Dallas, a 4A Prep School. Had we went to them it'd be a 4 hour trip.

Week 3: Going 2.5 hours to play #8 New Deal. We beat them last year 22-14 so I imagine they'll be wanting revenge, and we're playing in their home staidum so should be tough.

Week 4: Hosting a game against River Road. They're 3A D1 so nice to play a bigger school with more depth. We beat them last year 26-20 so, like New Deal, I imagine they'll be fired up to get revenge.

Week 5: Home game against Gruver. This is about the most "normal" matchup compared to when I was in school.

Week 6: Neutral site game against Jacksboro. I haven't even heard of this school until we played them last year (3 hours from Wellington, we won 8-6 so hard fought game it looks like). They're also a 3A playoff team from last year.

Week 7: Neutral game against Valley View. I also hadn't heard of this school until we played them last year (we won 60-8) but they're a 3A school that's 3.5 hours from Wellington.
Did one of your district opponents drop 11-man? Think you have one too many games. Maxpreps is showing the game against ESD to be the same week as the game against Duncan. ESD isn't showing a game against Wellington on their school athletic website.

Can't believe you never heard of Valley View! We had a good member from there on the board for years until they moved up to 3A. They struggled with numbers last year. Think they were more or less playing with a JV team due to injuries.
Comanchealumni06
Ambassador Region 4

Post by Comanchealumni06 »

Didn’t Valley View make a deep run in 2AD1 a few years ago?
Shiner Comanches
State Champs
Football 1986, 2004, 2020, 2021
Softball 2001, 2002, 2008, 2011, 2015, 2016
Baseball 1981, 1992, 2002, 2004
Tennis Mixed Doubles 2007
Track Girls Team 2016 Boys Team 2021
Marching Band 2013, 2022