Wishbone

Home of the toughest football in Texas
Eagle 1
Administrator

Wishbone

Postby Eagle 1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Not 2A, but it was nice to see that antiquated wishbone offense that Brock runs beating a school that is a full classification bigger.
BTW, if you notice the defense that Brownwood is in, that will never stop the wishbone.
I just hate that the Lions took it on the chin like they did, but I’m sure their new head coach get will get them straightened out before district starts. I look for Brock to make another run at the title this year if they can avoid the injury bug.

Defense wins Championships!

bluedawg

Re: Wishbone

Postby bluedawg » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:02 am

Wishbone is still a good offense if you have the right kids, starts with a huge quick O-line. Still enjoy watching it used. The 69 Texas Longhorns were some of the first to run it and no one could stop it. Oklahoma also ran it and won a lot with it. Then defensive gurus finally figured out how to slow it down.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:14 pm

We ran it for thirty plus years around here.
So I think it’s more about the kids buying into an established program than it is having the right kids.

ima puncher

Postby ima puncher » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:23 pm

After standing on my head for 20 min. I think your right that defense never will stop the wishbone.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:31 am

Hat on hat blocking. just bulldoze people, not sure if they need to be quick, just block the person you are responsible for and the rest will take care of itself.

Big Chief

Postby Big Chief » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:53 am

We're running what our coach calls the "slotbone" now. 3 backs like a wishbone, just one in the slot position. It's pretty much line 'em up and beat the guy in front of you. We had some big boys, guess time will tell if it was a smart change.

Goodknight

Postby Goodknight » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Big Chief wrote:We're running what our coach calls the "slotbone" now. 3 backs like a wishbone, just one in the slot position. It's pretty much line 'em up and beat the guy in front of you. We had some big boys, guess time will tell if it was a smart change.

Some call that a wingbone! Another variation is the wishbone spread. Still another is the flexbone with 2 backs in the slots up close to the line. A few high schools in the lower classifications run some form of the wishbone.

OskeeWowWow

Postby OskeeWowWow » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:21 pm

OL
6'6 330
6'5 300 Committed to UNT

TE
6'6 248 Committed to Texas A&M, offers from Bama, Georgia, LSU, etc.

Coach Worrell is in a great situation over there in Brock and they impress me every time I see them. He knows what to do with it.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:16 pm

OskeeWowWow wrote:OL
6'6 330
6'5 300 Committed to UNT

TE
6'6 248 Committed to Texas A&M, offers from Bama, Georgia, LSU, etc.

Coach Worrell is in a great situation over there in Brock and they impress me every time I see them. He knows what to do with it.

Agreed. A great coaching staff, I watched them make halftime adjustments last year against Wall in the playoffs as well as against Brownwood.

A1 EAGLE

Postby A1 EAGLE » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:29 pm

I watched the Brock-Brownwood game. It reminded me of the good ole days when we ran the wishbone with so much success. It was really a treat to watch Brock do what Goldthwaite done for so many years. Great football on both offense and defense by Brock. I really enjoyed watching a win like we use to do it. I guess I probably enjoyed watching Brock win with the ole outdated wishbone as much as anyone. I know I enjoyed the bone more than Brownwood, for sure.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:04 am

What’s that little old town down south of Brownwood? You know that little town that plays football?
Goldthwaite?
Ya Goldthwaite. All of our boys will get to play this week. :lol:

Inside joke. Several years ago our JV schooled Brownwood on the wishbone offense. Lol

WTFM

Postby WTFM » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:35 pm

I personally love the wishbone. I don't think there are enough people out there willing to run it. Everybody nowadays wants to get out and fling the ball. Here lately though, there are teams that are running wishbone principles, just out of the gun. Gunter, a few years back won the state championship doing it. Seminole, under Coach Jackson was in a pistol flexbone look as well. I firmly believe that like someone else already stated, it comes down to the kids buying in to the scheme and trusting the process. Wall has done it for years and the kids believe in it.

Return to “2A Texas Football”