Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Home of the toughest football in Texas
Mahir
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: Dallas
Status: Offline

Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby Mahir » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:43 pm

State finalist QB to sit out junior senior year to focus on baseball. Hes one of the nations top prospects. Im sure Refugians wish his love was football but having a 95 mile an hour as a HS sophomore Im sure pro money already speaking!!

User avatar
WindthorstDad
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:28 pm

He had good size for both sports. I imagine when football rolls around and the competitive juices flow he'll find himself wanting to be with his teammates. If they move him to RB then he'll be less a target as when playing QB and might avoid injury better. Just a guess.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

Mahir
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: Dallas
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby Mahir » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Idk article in Victoria advocate he seems pretty set in his mind.

User avatar
ganado
Donating Member 16/17
Posts: 2459
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: Ganado, TX
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby ganado » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:14 am

Tough call but sometimes life forces you to make tough decisions. I can respect his decision especially in a town like Refugio.

User avatar
WindthorstDad
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:14 am

Mahir wrote:Idk article in Victoria advocate he seems pretty set in his mind.


You're probably right. A 16-year old with a 95 mph fastball is something else. Good luck this young man.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

kansascain
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:57 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby kansascain » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:17 am

Im sure they will have some one else step up or move in. they will keep rolling

User avatar
WindthorstDad
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:27 am

kansascain wrote:Im sure they will have some one else step up or move in. they will keep rolling


The article said his younger brother is a candidate.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

abe froman
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:27 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby abe froman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:13 pm

I think he is making a mistake choosing only baseball this early in the process. He still has 3 high school seasons and 2 summer seasons at least until the draft. That is a lot of time. Plus if he did decides to play baseball year round who is to say that he doesn't end up having Tommy John surgery or throw his shoulder out. Lots of pitches in that arm between now and the summer of 2020(draft).

Also by at least playing this upcoming year in football he probably gets a Division I football scholarship that is a very nice insurance policy if for some reason his value goes down. However, after playing this year(football junior year) if he still has a very high round(1st or 2nd) grade after 2 regular seasons(soph/junior years) and 2 summer seasons then I would totally understand if he chose not to play football his senior year. Hell what is ironic is Clayton Kershaw was the center for Matthew Stafford so playing football obviously didn't affect him.

Just my 2 cents.

OskeeWowWow
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:47 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby OskeeWowWow » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:53 pm

abe froman wrote: Hell what is ironic is Clayton Kershaw was the center for Matthew Stafford so playing football obviously didn't affect him.


Bad example - Kershaw quit after his freshman year.

To your point, though, there are plenty of guys in MLB who played HS football.

lynx
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:03 pm
Location: waxahachie
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby lynx » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:59 pm

Good move for the kid...education will be paid for thru baseball, then after that pro ball possibilities with signing bonus...it's an investment in his future financially assuming he stay's healthy and becomes a legit MLB pitcher....IMO

User avatar
MrBob
Donating Member 16/17
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Refugio
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby MrBob » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:53 am

I understand and appreciate his decision. At Refugio, though, I don’t think he realizes the pressure that will be put on him to play football next year. I also think that Refugio losing the State Championship game will be a factor, once football season rolls around. Good luck to the young man.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

Mahir
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: Dallas
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby Mahir » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Mr Bob I think he does realize the pressure put on him. Even during the season everyone was talking about it. So for everyone including fans and coaches talking to him and he still makes the decision means he knows the pressure already. Only way I think he comes back is if he misses playing with his classmates or refugio struggles and guilt sets in. Doubtful on second thought because despite the best quarter back and best wide receiver ( Casey Henderson) not playing football Refugio still will be in the mix of winning it all.

User avatar
ganado
Donating Member 16/17
Posts: 2459
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: Ganado, TX
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby ganado » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:38 pm

MrBob wrote:I understand and appreciate his decision. At Refugio, though, I don’t think he realizes the pressure that will be put on him to play football next year. I also think that Refugio losing the State Championship game will be a factor, once football season rolls around. Good luck to the young man.



The fact that his brother could step into the QB role as a freshman might take some slack off of him.

User avatar
MrBob
Donating Member 16/17
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Refugio
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby MrBob » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:06 pm

ganado wrote:
MrBob wrote:I understand and appreciate his decision. At Refugio, though, I don’t think he realizes the pressure that will be put on him to play football next year. I also think that Refugio losing the State Championship game will be a factor, once football season rolls around. Good luck to the young man.



The fact that his brother could step into the QB role as a freshman might take some slack off of him.


Or it might make it tougher for him.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

User avatar
ComancheAlumni06
Donating Member 17/18
Posts: 4434
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:47 am
Location: Shiner, Tx
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:25 am

I remember reading about the kid that moved to Sinton because he got tired of feeling pressured to play football. That was a few years back. Maybe y’all Refugio fans can enlighten me. Can’t remember his name. But I remember reading the article. Don’t make this same mistake again Refugio or you might miss out on some great baseball!

User avatar
MrBob
Donating Member 16/17
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Refugio
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby MrBob » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:13 am

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:I remember reading about the kid that moved to Sinton because he got tired of feeling pressured to play football. That was a few years back. Maybe y’all Refugio fans can enlighten me. Can’t remember his name. But I remember reading the article. Don’t make this same mistake again Refugio or you might miss out on some great baseball!


The funny thing about that is he did play football at Sinton. He ended up starting at receiver for Sinton. I think the reason he left was because he was not happy with his role on the football team, and Sinton’s baseball program was much better than Refugio’s back then. Remember, Refugio didn’t start winning consistently at baseball until 2010, or so. I really think the only way that Jared Kelly doesn’t play football, is if he does transfer. But, that’s just my opinion.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

H.TIGFAN
Moderator
Posts: 3878
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:22 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby H.TIGFAN » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:55 am


User avatar
ComancheAlumni06
Donating Member 17/18
Posts: 4434
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:47 am
Location: Shiner, Tx
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Either way, gotta respect the kids decision. That’s just how it is now a days. Kids start focusing on one sport a lot earlier now. Shiner has had that going on for some years now. That’s why we only have 40 or 50 kids come out for 2 a days. Versus when I was in high school we had 75+ come out consistently. There’s a lot of boys that only play baseball now that could make a difference in football. Refugio will probably start seeing this the better their baseball program gets

oldtimer
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:57 am
Location: Texas
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby oldtimer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:06 am

My guess is that he will transfer to Calallen and play there ... Better chance to get seen going deep in the play offs against better competition at a 5a rather than a 2a.

Still think he should play football, as an old baseball coach I hate seeing kids specialize in one sport, especially baseball ...

You only have so many bullets in that arm and there are a lot of kids these days who throw hard but that doesn't make you a MLB baseball player. A lot of things have to happen for you to become a MLB baseball player but respect the kids decision just don't agree with it.

abe froman
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:27 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby abe froman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:30 am

If he continues to play in the Area Code games and with stiff competition in the summers that will suffice for the scouts in regards to the level of play. Again I find it odd but in very few instances will you see a football injury really affect a pitcher. Most football injuries deal with legs, ankles for the most part. The few shoulder injuries are usually separations or contusions but nothing that would really be career ending. I find it funny that the kid thinks that 4 months of baseball work (August, September, October, and November 2018) is going to be that huge of a help. The only thing it does is put more strain on his arm. I realize most kids specialize in sports now but most of those kids go to very large high schools. I for one would embrace the fact that you can still go to a school and do multiple sports. That is what made small schools so special.

Thanks for the clarification on Kershaw but my point stands. Even Lebron James played football thru his junior year.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12621
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:00 am

At the college level I there is not much money (scholarships). NCAA restrictions only allow 11.7 scholarships. That has to be split amongst 30+ players. Probably not too many full rides out there. Cost of education isn't cheap either. That's part of the reason I thinks HS kids go the pro route if drafted high enough as the guaranteed money can pay for education down the road if it's invested wisely and baseball doesn't work out.

abe froman
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:27 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby abe froman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:At the college level I there is not much money (scholarships). NCAA restrictions only allow 11.7 scholarships. That has to be split amongst 30+ players. Probably not too many full rides out there. Cost of education isn't cheap either. That's part of the reason I thinks HS kids go the pro route if drafted high enough as the guaranteed money can pay for education down the road if it's invested wisely and baseball doesn't work out.



And that is exactly why if I was the Refugio kid that I play football my junior year to at least secure a Division 1 football scholarship which at least guarantees college is totally paid for if for some reason his value slips. Now if for some reason before his senior year of football if he still has a 1st or 2nd round grade in baseball then I would understand him forgoing that year of football for baseball. Those rounds give you life changing money if managed right.

User avatar
MrBob
Donating Member 16/17
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Refugio
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby MrBob » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:37 pm

I hear a game between Refugio and Mart is in the works. I hear they are trying to set it up in the Austin area, the first game of the season. I wonder if/how this will affect his decision.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

User avatar
ganado
Donating Member 16/17
Posts: 2459
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: Ganado, TX
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby ganado » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:59 am

MrBob wrote:I hear a game between Refugio and Mart is in the works. I hear they are trying to set it up in the Austin area, the first game of the season. I wonder if/how this will affect his decision.



That is what I am hearing to. Put the game at DKR, that will get the kid some exposure.

Mahir
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: Dallas
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby Mahir » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:29 pm

What week and where will game be played.? Refugio will be awfully young this year might be 2nd year they beat Mart.

Mahir
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: Dallas
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby Mahir » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Well 2nd year they play in regular season is what i meant. Refugio is 0 and 2 against them gotta change that.

ManInBlack
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 6:59 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby ManInBlack » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Game will be Week 5, last non-district game for both teams. Still working on location from what I’ve heard

Mahir
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: Dallas
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby Mahir » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 am

Hooefully this guy is tearing it up in baseball because they will sure miss him come football time.

Football King
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:02 pm
Location: Refugio
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby Football King » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:50 pm

Last I read the kid is doing pretty darn good. Stats show 40 innings pitched with 98 stikeouts. Fastball averaging 92-95mph

Mahir
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: Dallas
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby Mahir » Sun May 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Coach Herring still trying to talk him out of just baseball? .

Puncher Pride
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:29 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby Puncher Pride » Mon May 14, 2018 10:19 am

Mahir wrote:Coach Herring still trying to talk him out of just baseball? .


I would imagine he is, but I bet Coach Schlossnagle or the MLB win that battle, or at least that's what I'm hoping for, ha. Kid has a special talent for sure.

User avatar
Mowdy Ag
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:12 pm
Location: Marble Falls
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby Mowdy Ag » Tue May 15, 2018 7:56 am

Puncher Pride wrote:
Mahir wrote:Coach Herring still trying to talk him out of just baseball? .


I would imagine he is, but I bet Coach Schlossnagle or the MLB win that battle, or at least that's what I'm hoping for, ha. Kid has a special talent for sure.


Schlossnagle's opinion, FWIW:

http://footballscoop.com/news/playing-high-school-football-great-preparation-sports-college-level-according-college-baseball-coach/

Puncher Pride
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:29 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: Refugio sophomore QB picks baseball

Postby Puncher Pride » Tue May 15, 2018 9:55 am

Mowdy Ag wrote:
Puncher Pride wrote:
Mahir wrote:Coach Herring still trying to talk him out of just baseball? .


I would imagine he is, but I bet Coach Schlossnagle or the MLB win that battle, or at least that's what I'm hoping for, ha. Kid has a special talent for sure.


Schlossnagle's opinion, FWIW:

http://footballscoop.com/news/playing-high-school-football-great-preparation-sports-college-level-according-college-baseball-coach/


I've seen his take before, and I love it. I was just having a little fun, like I said the kid has a special talent and the Horny Frogs may not ever get him to campus.


Return to “2A Texas Football”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron