2018 PRESEASON HAHA

Home of the toughest football in Texas
abe froman

Re: 2018 PRESEASON HAHA

Postby abe froman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Mart has won 2 in 1a(lowest level), 2 in the old 2a structure division 1 and 2 and now 2a division 1used to be 1a division 1. Not quite all levels. Hell Refugio has won in 3 seperate divisions. 1982 in 3a now 4a, 2a division 2 now 3a division 2 and 2a division 1. They even played in what is now 5a in 1968 against Lubbock Estacado when it was 3a but the second highest level.

PurplePunch
Donating Member 17/18

Postby PurplePunch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:10 am

Some observations from a long-time high school football fan. I’m not a Refugio fan, nor a Jason Herring fan. I’m not a Mart fan, nor a Kevin Hoffman fan, or a Rusty Nail fan. But those teams, year in and year out, have talent and use it. Their coaches don’t wait for that perfect combination of big, powerful linemen and quality backs and receivers to win a championship in their system. They match the best talent on their team in a given year to offensive and defensive schemes, and they learn what they need to know to teach the kids to be proficient in those schemes. Not all coaches can or will do those things.

Another observation: when those teams play a one-trick pony they scheme to stop what they do best on offense and take advantage of what they don’t do as well on defense. Other coaches, a la Vince Lombardi, believe they can do what they do so well the opponents can’t stop it. But when they focus on a powerful rushing attack and good defense, and your opponent stops the rushing attack, or they get up a couple of TDs, you have to throw the ball efficiently and effectively. The problem is, practice is structured so that 50-60% of practice is on defense, 30-40% on the primary (rushing) offense, and the rest on passing. That doesn’t develop the confidence, timing, and skills necessary to implement a sophisticated and effective modern passing attack against a quality opponent.

Sometimes it’s just about talent, and speed. When their backs hit a crease and clear the second level they turn on the jets and score, so you have to play error-free defense, don’t stay blocked, and the coach has to call a perfect game, guessing right based on tendencies, etc. But if you lack equivalent speed, even one misstep costs you defensively, and your offense doesn’t get the easy scores. It’s all relative - you may be able to impose your will on your whole schedule, win 11-12-13 games, and be more talented and faster than everyone you’ve played. But at some point you run into a Refugio, a Mart, a Canadian, a Shiner, a Stamford- is what you’re doing going to allow you to beat them? Maybe nothing you can do/have done is going to allow that to happen, but if you are an an elite team/wants to be an elite team whose goal is to win state, you prepare your team all year for that game. Not the teams you can manhandle, but the elite teams. And to know how you are progressing you have to play elite teams along the way. I’m confident Refugio’s games with Goliad, Edna, Navarro, Mart’s game with Lexington, Shiner’s with Halletsville, etc, helped them prepare, and helped their opponents prepare.

It’s a shame that “records” mean so much that quality schools in 3A don’t want to play quality 2A schools because they may lose, even though before Divisions they were in the same district. In a state tournament system like this your record before the playoffs start is irrelevant, thus teams (like Cameron a few years ago) lose several games to quality schools but win state. Steel sharpens steel. I hope the 2018 realignment helps.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:40 pm

I agree with a lot of the stuff being said , but I do believe that a team that can win the battle in the trenches will win 80 percent of the time! Also if you have a defense it will be the reason you win the championships that are won in most cases. And I also believe a team will have to have some kind of running game to win it all !That's the reason I said earlier in the year that Refugio won't win state without a running game ! Anyway I am real excited to see what 2018 will be like once football start up again ! Have a Happy New Year to all!

GO BIG C!

uncle

Postby uncle » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:03 pm

PurplePunch wrote:Some observations from a long-time high school football fan. I’m not a Refugio fan, nor a Jason Herring fan. I’m not a Mart fan, nor a Kevin Hoffman fan, or a Rusty Nail fan. But those teams, year in and year out, have talent and use it. Their coaches don’t wait for that perfect combination of big, powerful linemen and quality backs and receivers to win a championship in their system. They match the best talent on their team in a given year to offensive and defensive schemes, and they learn what they need to know to teach the kids to be proficient in those schemes. Not all coaches can or will do those things.

Another observation: when those teams play a one-trick pony they scheme to stop what they do best on offense and take advantage of what they don’t do as well on defense. Other coaches, a la Vince Lombardi, believe they can do what they do so well the opponents can’t stop it. But when they focus on a powerful rushing attack and good defense, and your opponent stops the rushing attack, or they get up a couple of TDs, you have to throw the ball efficiently and effectively. The problem is, practice is structured so that 50-60% of practice is on defense, 30-40% on the primary (rushing) offense, and the rest on passing. That doesn’t develop the confidence, timing, and skills necessary to implement a sophisticated and effective modern passing attack against a quality opponent.

Sometimes it’s just about talent, and speed. When their backs hit a crease and clear the second level they turn on the jets and score, so you have to play error-free defense, don’t stay blocked, and the coach has to call a perfect game, guessing right based on tendencies, etc. But if you lack equivalent speed, even one misstep costs you defensively, and your offense doesn’t get the easy scores. It’s all relative - you may be able to impose your will on your whole schedule, win 11-12-13 games, and be more talented and faster than everyone you’ve played. But at some point you run into a Refugio, a Mart, a Canadian, a Shiner, a Stamford- is what you’re doing going to allow you to beat them? Maybe nothing you can do/have done is going to allow that to happen, but if you are an an elite team/wants to be an elite team whose goal is to win state, you prepare your team all year for that game. Not the teams you can manhandle, but the elite teams. And to know how you are progressing you have to play elite teams along the way. I’m confident Refugio’s games with Goliad, Edna, Navarro, Mart’s game with Lexington, Shiner’s with Halletsville, etc, helped them prepare, and helped their opponents prepare.

It’s a shame that “records” mean so much that quality schools in 3A don’t want to play quality 2A schools because they may lose, even though before Divisions they were in the same district. In a state tournament system like this your record before the playoffs start is irrelevant, thus teams (like Cameron a few years ago) lose several games to quality schools but win state. Steel sharpens steel. I hope the 2018 realignment helps.

Much of what u say has Merit! Good observation

Mahir

Postby Mahir » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:51 am

Bigtank no one said those schools arent good. Refugio is just amazing in their consistent success. Oh and for that matter they have won 1982 what now would be 4A when only one champ was crowned. They have won in what would be 3A now and have won in 2A. My whole point is Refugio fascinates people. Heck they monopolize forums by those that love and hate them. No offense but Shiner just has never gotten this kind of attention. Running up the score and hurricane got them on HBO and ESPN they are just interesting and its good because it gets people interested in small town football. Refugio isnt even close to top schools with titles but heck neither is a school like Odessa Permian but hmmm there was a little book and movie made about them maybe you heard of it.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:45 am

yes I agree with your projection of Refugio ,but I don't think many schools want the label that Refugio has! Take one example of a game that ESPN aired where Refugio was running up the score on another team and the coach says [Go for the throat ! ] Just not the way I want any of my children or grandchildren growing up around!

GO BIG C !

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:22 am

Really, this again...... new year, same old same.

Happy New Year football fans.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:21 pm

abe froman wrote:Mart has won 2 in 1a(lowest level), 2 in the old 2a structure division 1 and 2 and now 2a division 1used to be 1a division 1. Not quite all levels. Hell Refugio has won in 3 seperate divisions. 1982 in 3a now 4a, 2a division 2 now 3a division 2 and 2a division 1. They even played in what is now 5a in 1968 against Lubbock Estacado when it was 3a but the second highest level.

I kid, I kid, but sure will be glad when Refugio are playing 6-man and win that division!!!

Football Face

Postby Football Face » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:54 pm

BIG C FAN wrote:I agree with a lot of the stuff being said , but I do believe that a team that can win the battle in the trenches will win 80 percent of the time! Also if you have a defense it will be the reason you win the championships that are won in most cases. And I also believe a team will have to have some kind of running game to win it all !That's the reason I said earlier in the year that Refugio won't win state without a running game ! Anyway I am real excited to see what 2018 will be like once football start up again ! Have a Happy New Year to all!

GO BIG C!

Gotta agree here. It is won and lost in the trenches ..... period.

bigtank05

Postby bigtank05 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:33 pm

Mahir wrote:Bigtank no one said those schools arent good. Refugio is just amazing in their consistent success. Oh and for that matter they have won 1982 what now would be 4A when only one champ was crowned. They have won in what would be 3A now and have won in 2A. My whole point is Refugio fascinates people. Heck they monopolize forums by those that love and hate them. No offense but Shiner just has never gotten this kind of attention. Running up the score and hurricane got them on HBO and ESPN they are just interesting and its good because it gets people interested in small town football. Refugio isnt even close to top schools with titles but heck neither is a school like Odessa Permian but hmmm there was a little book and movie made about them maybe you heard of it.

And you don't knowbwhat goes on in mart Texas also. 2 championships from tying the record of I with Celina. It's been talked about a movie of mart football also. The running back from cy-fair 6a. #43 full blood mart panther. Don't care how we won it we won it lol.

Mahir

Postby Mahir » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:58 pm

Bigtank your post made no sense. I never was comparing how many titles a team has. Im sure katy or aledo or lake travis will get to 9 titles before refugio gets to 5 even. Point is Refugio has been alot of fun and Herring is amazing guy that loves the kids helps the community and really is like a father figure to these kids. Harsh criticism against Herring and Refugio is undeserved. I am not even from Refugio once again. They are just more interesting than the rest. Its not even about titles. Its the change of scheme every year and such great storylines that make them fun. Hate to say this but gonnn say it anyways alot of the posters on here are just jealous of them and it really shows in their posts. Im sure 2018 will be full of fans like myself and extreme haters as usual. Win or lose next year I can guarantee Refugio will be most talked about team in 2A football period! !!

bigtank05

Postby bigtank05 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:42 pm

Mahir wrote:Bigtank your post made no sense. I never was comparing how many titles a team has. Im sure katy or aledo or lake travis will get to 9 titles before refugio gets to 5 even. Point is Refugio has been alot of fun and Herring is amazing guy that loves the kids helps the community and really is like a father figure to these kids. Harsh criticism against Herring and Refugio is undeserved. I am not even from Refugio once again. They are just more interesting than the rest. Its not even about titles. Its the change of scheme every year and such great storylines that make them fun. Hate to say this but gonnn say it anyways alot of the posters on here are just jealous of them and it really shows in their posts. Im sure 2018 will be full of fans like myself and extreme haters as usual. Win or lose next year I can guarantee Refugio will be most talked about team in 2A football period! !!

Herring has always been one of my favorite coaches. Never talked about his way of coaching. His job is for his kids to be prepared to plays 4 quarters of football. He is a winner in my book.

Mahir

Postby Mahir » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:55 pm

Even in losses in state Cisco Canadian Mart i think hes respectful. Sad for his players but also realizes the other team worked very hard too.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:22 am

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:47 am

4Gata wrote:https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2018/jan/16/refugios-kelley-decides-to-concentrate-on-baseball/

Will be interesting to see if he sticks to that....

PurplePunch
Donating Member 17/18

Postby PurplePunch » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:44 pm

abe froman wrote:Refugio will be a lot like the 2013 team. Lost a bunch of the players that won state in 2011 and lost to a very good East Bernard team in 2012. However, the 2013 team returned a very good QB in Quintanilla and rode him to the state title game. I could see the 2018 team riding Kelly in much the same way. Also they return their best lineman in Brown and best LB/RB in Mascorro. Also JV was undefeated and I think 8th grade lost maybe once. The key will be the line play especially on offensive side and LB play besides Mascorro on defense. Refugio usually always finds good skill position people.

How much effect does Kelly picking baseball have? Who are the QB candidates now? The rest of the team is solid to exceptional.

ComancheAlumni06
Donating Member 18/19

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Mahir wrote:Bigtank your post made no sense. I never was comparing how many titles a team has. Im sure katy or aledo or lake travis will get to 9 titles before refugio gets to 5 even. Point is Refugio has been alot of fun and Herring is amazing guy that loves the kids helps the community and really is like a father figure to these kids. Harsh criticism against Herring and Refugio is undeserved. I am not even from Refugio once again. They are just more interesting than the rest. Its not even about titles. Its the change of scheme every year and such great storylines that make them fun. Hate to say this but gonnn say it anyways alot of the posters on here are just jealous of them and it really shows in their posts. Im sure 2018 will be full of fans like myself and extreme haters as usual. Win or lose next year I can guarantee Refugio will be most talked about team in 2A football period! !!

Posters like you are just as much part of that. We get it, they’re gonna be talked about because their flashy. But please quit rubbing it in everyone’s face and call everyone else’s team boring while you do it! That’s not very classy dude. I know you won’t agree with me. But it’s really not.

ComancheAlumni06
Donating Member 18/19

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 pm

Here’s the best example Mahir, Shiner is like the Spurs, boring, not flashy but yet successful. Refugio are like the showtime Lakers. Flashy, talks a big game, draws attention. But not always good attention. Meanwhile no one cares about what’s going on in San Antonio because that’s boring. They’re too quiet. Same as Shiner. Some towns like it that way, Shiner is one of them. So good for Refugio if they like all that attention.

Mahir

Postby Mahir » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:52 pm

I think the spurs would love to get the fame of the Lakers. Say what you want HS players love to get attention just as towns do. newspapers Espn Hbo im sure most towns would love this attention. And LOL Shiner loves the attention the town receives from their beer. These lil towns in the middle of nowhere like to be noticed too.

ComancheAlumni06
Donating Member 18/19

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Your right about that, I love that my home town makes good beer! I’ve got nothing against Refugio receiving the attention. I’m just saying not all small towns care about all that Jazz.

Mahir

Postby Mahir » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:28 pm

Btw i take pride in Texas and glad there is a town named Shiner and famous non related to football but because some REALLY good beer.

ComancheAlumni06
Donating Member 18/19

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:02 pm

Hell yeah! Nothing finer than an ice cold Shiner!

Mahir

Postby Mahir » Sat May 26, 2018 5:53 pm

Anybody got any updates on their team? And why they should be top 10??

ComancheAlumni06
Donating Member 18/19

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:08 pm

I haven’t the slightest, was keeping up with the softball playoffs until our girls got knocked out this past weekend. I’ll start asking around about football now though.

Bobcat89

Postby Bobcat89 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Very true but you must consider the fact about that talent is only as good as its leader which is the coach back when Celina had its triumph refugio was just as good but they did not have a G.A MOORE.........that's the difference

Bobcat89

Postby Bobcat89 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Championship are won after the second half and it all comes down to whoever makes adjustmen's which is why refugio did not win they stuck with cover one defense which left a very valuable asset (single safety) gone to waste.....it was catch and tho to a silly mismatch ......made me sick.....if they play a 3 4 zone refugio would have shut it down indefinitely. .......and rumor has it a long lost athlete has came home to graduate his senior year and most definitely has the potential to fill the qb position

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Tue May 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Bobcat89 wrote:.and rumor has it a long lost athlete has came home to graduate his senior year and most definitely has the potential to fill the qb position

I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. And there's no doubt this young man will help the Bobcats. But, I don't see him playing QB. I think he will play the same positions he's been playing these past few years - RB/LB.

Now, if our other former athlete returns home like I'm hearing he will, our QB position will upgrade tremendously. And this Cat will only be a junior next year. Dual threat too!

Bobcat89

Postby Bobcat89 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:37 pm

Who is the other cat?........and as for the senior he played qb both years in victoria

SoTexFootball

Postby SoTexFootball » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:54 pm

Bobcat89, are you a parent or fan of the Bobcats? Do you have coaching experience? I’m guessing you graduated from Refugio in 89 due to screen name meaning you could of had a kid go through the system. Did they do something different in 2011 or 2016 that they are no longer doing? I hate it when supposed fans are griping at the coaching when they lose the State Championship. Especially since Refugio has played in it the last 3 years. Just comes across as a has been complainer.

ManInBlack

Postby ManInBlack » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:12 pm

SoTexFootball wrote:Bobcat89, are you a parent or fan of the Bobcats? Do you have coaching experience? I’m guessing you graduated from Refugio in 89 due to screen name meaning you could of had a kid go through the system. Did they do something different in 2011 or 2016 that they are no longer doing? I hate it when supposed fans are griping at the coaching when they lose the State Championship. Especially since Refugio has played in it the last 3 years. Just comes across as a has been complainer.

I’m not Bobcat89, but I’ve been a Bobcat fan forever. They got a new DC in 2014, and ran a mixture of 1 & 2 safety coverages. However, they changed defenses in 2015 - and have run the exact same defense the last 3 seasons playing Cover 1 and Cover 0. Bobcat89 must not have paid close attention in the State game because the Cats did run some zone coverage concepts - you know, the times Terry scrambled around forever and found the open guys.

SoTexFootball

Postby SoTexFootball » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:17 pm

I hear you maninblack, my point is that those coaches have taken the Bobcats to STATE the last three years in row! Has that ever been done before by a Refugio coaching staff? I don’t know. But I do know that you don’t get that far without great athletes and great coaching. They have always had great athletes, and probably always will. So whatever they are doing, hometown people better not complain too much or they will leave. And considering what they have accomplished, my guess is the Head Coach and DC know what they are doing

ManInBlack

Postby ManInBlack » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:26 pm

I agree. I’m sure nobody was more disappointed in that loss than the coaches and the kids who were a part of it. Both groups put in the time, effort, and energy to get back to Cowboys Stadium in a year where a lot of people didn’t give them much of a chance - especially after the hurricane. I was extremely proud of the season our boys had, and the sportsmanship they showed during the state game.

SoTexFootball

Postby SoTexFootball » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:50 pm

I hear you maninblack, my point is that those coaches have taken the Bobcats to STATE the last three years in row! Has that ever been done before by a Refugio coaching staff? I don’t know. But I do know that you don’t get that far without great athletes and great coaching. They have always had great athletes, and probably always will. So whatever they are doing, hometown people better not complain too much or they will leave. And my guess is that the new DC

SoTexFootball

Postby SoTexFootball » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:53 pm

Not trying to start anything but I’ve been around long enough to know, you can gripe about the coaches you have, but you have no say so in the coaches you will get. Just food for thought

Bobcat89

Postby Bobcat89 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Never bash in the coaches or the athletes I saw the game and adjustments were kinda made but it was one on one coverage that killed the cats ....maybe they could have switched the mismatch ......safety was kinda useless being in the middle that's all I was implying ......the coaching staff is amazing indeed with their success in creating a dynasty ......lplease do not try and patronize me

Bobcat89

Postby Bobcat89 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Past is the past ......hope the bobcats can reclaim the title this year and keep this dynasty going

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Its gona be hard to replace the linemen that were there for three years and the bigest ajustment will be the QB! Looking to see how the cat progress in preseason to make a strong run in the playoffs !

GO BIG C !

Return to “2A Texas Football”