Total votes: 34

tlbredemeyer

Mart vs Refugio - State Championship

Postby tlbredemeyer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:03 am

The war is on

abe froman

Re: Mart vs Refugio - State Championship

Postby abe froman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:20 am

Before this last game I wasn’t sure if Refugio could beat Mart but I think they have a shot. I know Mart has more guys like the Davis kid from SA but to shut him down was pretty impressive. It was the first time they have seen a back like that. Also the way that they have really diversified the offense has been impressive. I think if they played like they did against SA and the second half of Mason then I think they can win by 7. I know Mart plays a lot both ways and if they are able to pound the ball right at them it could tire them some much like SA.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:11 am

This will be a match-up of 2A Royalty. Regardless of what case you may want to make, the bottom line is these are the two most successful, traditional, perennial, and winning-est programs of all time in 2A.
I have always had a tremendous amount of respect for the Mart program. In this second ever meeting between these two programs, Refugio will look to avenge the 2000 semi-final loss where we blew a 20 point halftime lead to ultimately fall 21-20 to Quan Cosby and company. Bobcats looking for their first ever back to back, and what a way for Mart to make their transition into D2 next year.
Size, speed, athleticism, coaching, experience, tradition all over the field this Wednesday night. What a way to kickoff the championship week.
Last edited by 4Gata on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:22 am

Just FYI but it was 2000 that we lost to Mart. Lost to Chad Morris and Elysian Fields 14-13 in the Astrodome in 1999

ganado

Postby ganado » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:29 am

I am going with, not sure here because they are so evenly matched and I like both programs.

ABW

Postby ABW » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:39 am

Ready to see how this one turns out.

Bonecrusher

Postby Bonecrusher » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Based on what I read/heard about both semi games, it seemed like Refugio got stronger/played better as the game went on and just wore SA down with a mix of speed and power. Mart had some issues that I wouldn't have expected vs. Stratford. False starts, passing game a little off, no kicker.... Also, sounded like Elks played some really good D, and I wouldn't expect any less from Refugio. Maybe it was the Thursday game or long bus ride, either way Mart needs to clean up some things to beat Refugio who by all accounts seemed to be firing on all cylinders.
I'm pulling for Mart and would love to see them bring another championship home to central Texas.
If Mart brings their A-game, I say they win by 2 TD's. If not, I say Bobcats by 2 or 3. Should be pretty evenly matched teams.

OskeeWowWow

Postby OskeeWowWow » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Mart's inability to get that passing game going when they needed it was a big red flag I wouldn't have anticipated, and I expect Refugio to be even better up front than Stratford was. Did they just need a wake up call? Anxious to see. It would be almost unbelievable for a 2A school with the talent Mart has to not win it all.

Mahir

Postby Mahir » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:13 pm

During season i had mart over madon then changed to mason over mart. After Mason lost i said now mart over refugio but after seeing semi final game in cypress whew i might just have to go with Refugio repeating. Yes Refugio defense maybe not as strong as last year but offensively i think they are stronger. Refugio 34 mart 30.

ima puncher

Postby ima puncher » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:05 pm

If Refugio plays like they have last 2 games I've watched them, minus the 15 yd. penalties they are getting for poor sportsmanship. I think they win. 35-21

Football Face

Postby Football Face » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Just don't see Mart being held under 30 regardless of who wins.

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Well Stratford did. Mart’s last td was a defensive score so it can be done.

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Football Face wrote:Just don't see Mart being held under 30 regardless of who wins.

I can’t believe Refugio’s defense held San Augustine’s offense to 13 points. Yes, I know they scored 21, but the last TD was scored on a fumble recovery and a long run.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

JWats44

Postby JWats44 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:51 pm

If Mart can stop the run game of Refugio, Mart wins. If Refugio can run on Mart Refugio wins. Refugio will be able to stop Mart at there run game or lets just say contain them. I dont believe they can stop Refugio's Power but hey been wrong before. I think this is going to be a good game with two very talented teams. My take
Refugio 43
Mart 21

bigtank05

Postby bigtank05 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:51 pm

abe froman wrote:Well Stratford did. Mart’s last td was a defensive score so it can be done.

#9 is the only kid that has played in the semifinals from mart. Didn't look like mart at all and we need a game with someone with great offense and defense like Stratford. Maybe it was our Wake up call or maybe not. No passing game in 3 weeks. 2 starting linebacker got bang up hurt us on defense also which help Stratford run game. We will be ready to go Wednesday. Kicker was in the stands cause he missed practice. We will be ready this week.

BigTweet

Postby BigTweet » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:59 pm

I'm glad we didn't come out and blow Stratford out...I think we needed to be hit in the face and have a nosebleed, and Stratford definitely did that. I was afraid of us playing that Crawford game like it was the State Championship, and to some extent I think that's what happened....hopefully we can get back focused on what the ultimate goal is..
And fight goes with that......

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:25 pm

IMO the two best teams in D1 are playing in the state championship game. That doesn’t always happen, so this will be a really good game.
The same with the D2 teams this year.
It’s really rare to have the four best teams at the state finals.
Just my opinion.
Defense wins Championships!

ComancheAlumni06
Donating Member 18/19

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:16 pm

I think Refugio’s solid offense and defense, along with the size they bring up front will just be too much for Mart. They have size and speed, but what really will show are the numbers that Refugio has. They’re going to change out lineman all game and just wear down Mart. I’m thinking Refugio 42 Mart 21

ComancheAlumni06
Donating Member 18/19

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Also, I’ve heard that the state championship games Wednesday will not be aired on fox sports aouthwest. Is this true?

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:34 pm

It is on Fox Sports Southwest plus if you are in the San Antonio and Dallas markets. Mavericks and Spurs play that night. If you are in the Houston market I think it will be on the regular FSSW station

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:22 pm

FSSW will show the game Thursday morning at 8:00.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

ganado

Postby ganado » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:13 am

MrBob wrote:FSSW will show the game Thursday morning at 8:00.

That is horrible. I hope I have the FSSW plus. I guess I will find out Wednesday if I have it. I have Texan Live, I wonder if they will have the state championship games?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:46 am

I know people don't like Maxpreps rankings but Mart's road was tougher when looking at their rankings.
1. Mart (Strength of schedule: 11.9)
2. Refugio (6.9)
3. Stratford (11.1)
4. San Augustine (7.9)
5. Mason (5.2)
6. DeLeon (0.6)
7. Panhandle (12.7)
8. Crawford (6.1)
9. New Deal (2.0)
10. Centerville (8.6)

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 am

I have Dish Network, and it has the game showing on channel 444 (an Alternate FoxSW) at the correct game time.

However, I will be watching from a comfy seat in Jerry World. I will once again be certain to dine beforehand. A Bottle of water is $5.50 up in there. Strange because it doesn't taste any different.

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:49 am

Windthorstfan wrote:I know people don't like Maxpreps rankings but Mart's road was tougher when looking at their rankings.
2. Refugio (6.9)
3. Stratford (11.1)
4. San Augustine (7.9)
5. Mason (5.2)
6. DeLeon (0.6)
7. Panhandle (12.7)
8. Crawford (6.1)
9. New Deal (2.0)
10. Centerville (8.6)

Yeah, but Mart didn't play big, bad Navarro, so none of that matters.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 am

Windthorstfan wrote:I know people don't like Maxpreps rankings but Mart's road was tougher when looking at their rankings.
2. Refugio (6.9)
3. Stratford (11.1)
4. San Augustine (7.9)
5. Mason (5.2)
6. DeLeon (0.6)
7. Panhandle (12.7)
8. Crawford (6.1)
9. New Deal (2.0)
10. Centerville (8.6)

I'd be curious to see what formula comes up with that SOS rating. I'm not questioning Mart's rating, they certainly have played a tough schedule. But, I can't see how San Augustine has a tougher schedule than Refugio or how Mason's rating is even close to Refugio's.
Doesn't really matter in reality, but I do think it speaks to the accuracy of this source. After all, they did have Refugio as underdogs to both Mason and SA.

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:55 am

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:I think Refugio’s solid offense and defense, along with the size they bring up front will just be too much for Mart. They have size and speed, but what really will show are the numbers that Refugio has. They’re going to change out lineman all game and just wear down Mart. I’m thinking Refugio 42 Mart 21

That's a broken record. Same thing Mart has heard from West, McGregor, Centerville, De Leon, Windthorst, Stratford, etc., and we hear it every year. Mart suits it up against whoever ends up on the schedule, and after every one of those "We'll wear them down" games, the opponent has the same comment. "Those Mart boys never quit."
Thankfully, the game is played on the field, and not by us keyboard warriors.
Geaux Panthers.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 am

Question for BigTank and/or Bredemeyer or Tweet:

Can you update us with the overall injury report of the Mart Panthers? I've read some posts indicating that at least two starters suffered significant injuries last week causing them both to not finish the game. I believe one of them is #9 Kirven (the UH commit.) Tank, I believe you stated one was an ankle and the other a groin- I could be wrong.
I understand it's week 16 and no one is completely healthy at this point of the season. And I'm also sure everyone is playing this week, not holding anything back.
On the Refugio side of the ball, this is probably the "healthiest" team we have had in the state game out of these most recent 5 appearances.

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:14 am

4Gata wrote:Question for BigTank and/or Bredemeyer or Tweet:

Can you update us with the overall injury report of the Mart Panthers? I've read some posts indicating that at least two starters suffered significant injuries last week causing them both to not finish the game. I believe one of them is #9 Kirven (the UH commit.) Tank, I believe you stated one was an ankle and the other a groin- I could be wrong.
I understand it's week 16 and no one is completely healthy at this point of the season. And I'm also sure everyone is playing this week, not holding anything back.
On the Refugio side of the ball, this is probably the "healthiest" team we have had in the state game out of these most recent 5 appearances.

All I've heard are rumors and stories. I have no factual information, so I'll offer none.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:37 am

tlbredemeyer wrote:That's a broken record. Same thing Mart has heard from West, McGregor, Centerville, De Leon, Windthorst, Stratford, etc., and we hear it every year. Mart suits it up against whoever ends up on the schedule, and after every one of those "We'll wear them down" games, the opponent has the same comment. "Those Mart boys never quit."
Thankfully, the game is played on the field, and not by us keyboard warriors.
Geaux Panthers.

Not sure where you heard that from Windthorst.....pretty sure most of our fans knew the juggernaut we were up against!!! We had no depth this year. It wouldn't have mattered had our starters played but when you have JV kids starting against a State Championship caliber team good things are not going to happen. The young man just wasn't physical ready. I was a glutton for punishment and watched the film and the young man was in position to make the blocks but at 5'6 145 pounds it just didn't work out well!!!

Bonecrusher

Postby Bonecrusher » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:35 am

ganado wrote:
MrBob wrote:FSSW will show the game Thursday morning at 8:00.

That is horrible. I hope I have the FSSW plus. I guess I will find out Wednesday if I have it. I have Texan Live, I wonder if they will have the state championship games?

Yeah that stinks for those of us that have day jobs. Thank goodness for TiVo.....

ganado

Postby ganado » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:05 pm

tlbredemeyer wrote:

All I've heard are rumors and stories. I have no factual information, so I'll offer none.

Or you would rather not give Refugio any inside information?

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Guess Mart doesn't stand a chance. Everyone @ DCTF is picking against us.
http://www.texasfootball.com/state/#2ADI

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:23 pm

That's funny considering Tepper picked us to lose against Mason and San Augustine. He also picked Mart to win it all in the pre-season.

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Tepper didn’t pick against Refugio it was Matt Stepp. However the magazine in preseason did pick Mart over Refugio

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:38 pm

4Gata wrote:I'd be curious to see what formula comes up with that SOS rating. I'm not questioning Mart's rating, they certainly have played a tough schedule. But, I can't see how San Augustine has a tougher schedule than Refugio or how Mason's rating is even close to Refugio's.

Those teams had to play Refugio thus boosting their SOS!!! Probably also why Panhandle's is high too having played Stratford twice as well as Div II Semi-finalist Wellington and 3A Div II Childress.

bigtank05

Postby bigtank05 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:59 pm

They will be ready to go. That's were Stratford had success the second half. The Panthers are coming to win the state. Don't care about size cause that has never mattered when you play us. other than windthorst we have been outsized. Bring it.

CanadianFan

Postby CanadianFan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:28 pm

I just have to go with Mart in this one. Should be a good game.
Canadian Wildcats
2007,2008, 2014, 2015 State Football Champions
2015, 2016 State Basketball Champions
First School in Texas UIL History to win Back to Back Football and Basketball Championships in Consecutive years

BigTweet

Postby BigTweet » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:15 pm

I don't think I would call the injuries "significant"....we had two players that were not 100% against Stratford. We could tell that they were slowed but we've been watching them play all year....I'm not sure someone who had never seen us play could tell...(I hope that makes sense...lol)...

Both players should be good to go this week..I know for sure one of the two is 100%, not sure about the other, I haven't talked to him this week

lsg13

Postby lsg13 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:37 pm

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:Also, I’ve heard that the state championship games Wednesday will not be aired on fox sports aouthwest. Is this true?

I have Dish the game is live on channel 412-32 I think you have to have the sports package to get it

lsg13

Postby lsg13 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:41 pm

The other game Muenster vs Teneha is live at 11.00am thursday on 412-06 which is the regular fssw channel,the Mart game is rerun on this channel at 8.00am

BigTweet

Postby BigTweet » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:02 pm

For all you guys that never got to see Tank play in person...I finally got the 1999 Mart Panther Team Highlights up loaded to youtube...the video is in 6 parts...here is the link to the video

https://youtu.be/pqtGDxWukEQ

The State Championship game against Boyd is part 6...Tank is #5, Quan is #6

retchbh

Postby retchbh » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:58 pm

I have direct tv and it shows to have the D I game on channel 676-2 at 7:00 pm on Wednesday. This is a FSSW alternate channel.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:02 pm

retchbh wrote:I have direct tv and it shows to have the D I game on channel 676-2 at 7:00 pm on Wednesday. This is a FSSW alternate channel.

I set mine to record, I hope I get that channel.
I have direct tv also, but I have the cheapest package. Lol

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:34 am

BigTweet wrote:For all you guys that never got to see Tank play in person...I finally got the 1999 Mart Panther Team Highlights up loaded to youtube...the video is in 6 parts...here is the link to the video

https://youtu.be/pqtGDxWukEQ

The State Championship game against Boyd is part 6...Tank is #5, Quan is #6

I watched Mart vs Refugio @SWT Bobcat Stadium in San Marcos. Went to visit my future wife as she was still in school and I took her on a date to the ball game. I'm pretty sure that was '99

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:00 am

It was 2000

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:59 am

Feels strange playing so early in the week. Makes for a very fast week. The team will make the trip up to Arlington today, and most fans will use Wednesday as the travel day. Looking forward to the showdown!

Go Cats Go. Back to Back in 17!

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks to DCTF, we can all just stay home tomorrow. The game has already been played.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YzjAN1esZ4
:-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:47 am

I’m not sure about Refugio, but I honestly believe that this is the best Mart team Goldthwaite has ever played, including the 2010 state champions.
It will be a good game.

Return to “2A Texas Football”