Tiger Stadium
Snyder, TX
7:00 PM, Thursday, 12/14/2017

Bonecrusher
Donating Member 16/17

Re: Mart - Stratford State Semi-final

Postby Bonecrusher » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Mart 42 - Stratford 21.
Close first half due to Stratford ball/clock control, Mart pulls away in 2nd.

howardh

Postby howardh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:39 pm

Stratford was really tough when we played them back in the early 80s (when I was in high school nearby). Year in and year out - they always have been tough.

Some years they have more or less kids or more talent or less talent, but they are always super tough for who they have on team.

Gotta go with Stratford! They just have something in the water there! :ymapplause:

Howard

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:17 am

Not sure what Stratford has coming back next year but knowing what I know about Stratford. This is likely a "preview" of next year's Div II State Championship game and whether or not there is anybody in Div II that can slow down Mart.

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:55 am

just info:
Padilla Poll has Mart +8
PigskinPrep has Mart +18
Haven't seen Harris yet but he's usually closer to PigskinPrep.
Last week, PigskinPrep hit 86%: Padilla hit 36%.

Which means ....

.... Absolutely Nothing :-bd

howardh

Postby howardh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:22 am

Yes, any team still playing football this deep in the playoffs should feel honored! :-bd It will be lifetime memories for all the kids.

If the neck-and-neck poll here on this thread is any indication, it should be a whale of a game!!! lol ;)

Howard

ABW

Postby ABW » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:52 am

Hope Stratford wins this one. Mart is going to win the State Championship every year they are DII just like Canadian when they were a 3A team disguised as a 2A.

Make them wait a year Stratford....

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:24 pm

ABW wrote:Hope Stratford wins this one. Mart is going to win the State Championship every year they are DII just like Canadian when they were a 3A team disguised as a 2A.

I thought Stratford was going DII next year also.
... are they somehow not going to be able to compete next year?
Last edited by tlbredemeyer on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:24 pm

ABW wrote:Hope Stratford wins this one. Mart is going to win the State Championship every year they are DII just like Canadian when they were a 3A team disguised as a 2A.

Stratford is dropping down to DII too for whatever that is worth!!!

ABW

Postby ABW » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:

Stratford is dropping down to DII too for whatever that is worth!!!

Only 8 replies in a thread about a game that's going to be a great matchup.

I'm trying to liven it up a bit. ;)

Bonecrusher
Donating Member 16/17

Postby Bonecrusher » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:08 pm

I'm surprised at the lack of conversation regarding this game as well. Looks like we got someone from the panhandle on here and a handful of us are very familiar with Mart.

I've read Stratford is primarily a running team, is that really true? What are their backs like (big/small, how fast)? What's their O-line look like? Are they real big kids, or more quick & athletic? (Not saying big kids can't be athletic) Straight up the middle, misdirection?What D do they use? Better against run or pass?

Mart just eliminated a very strong, disciplined running team, who also plays defense just as well, by 41 points. Don't know exactly what Stratford has that Crawford doesn't. How will they bottle up that Mart speed and multiple weapons on both sides of the ball? It's like trying to hold water in your hand. Stop it in one place, it gets out somewhere else.

Not a thread on this game at Smoaky either since I last checked, but that's mostly east Texas guys anyway. Their occupied with Refugio/SA. Chat on FSSW is pretty good, though.

Football Face
Donating Member 16/17

Postby Football Face » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:29 pm

Mart by 4tds. That's is not being disrespectful. Just don't think anyone hangs with Mart this year. They are the total package. It gets your attention when the meanest , fastest kid on the field is 5'3".

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Football Face wrote:It gets your attention when the meanest , fastest kid on the field is 5'3".
He had a quiet game defensively against us. 3 total tackles and a sack - on the sack we just let him run free - not sure how you decide not to block him since even when you do block him his motor never stops.

ElkHomer

Postby ElkHomer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:03 pm

My guess is that most outside of the Panhandle believe that no one can "hang" with Mart.

I guess we'll find out Thursday. Not much into all the superlatives. We block pretty good. Tackle pretty good.

We'll see Thursday. Really looking forward to it.

BigTweet

Postby BigTweet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:53 pm

Only thing I'm not looking forward to is that loooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggg drive to Snyder...I may have to slip Tank a sleeping pill or we'll argue the whole way there....lol
And fight goes with that......

bigtank05

Postby bigtank05 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:43 pm

BigTweet wrote:Only thing I'm not looking forward to is that loooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggg drive to Snyder...I may have to slip Tank a sleeping pill or we'll argue the whole way there....lol

Lol. Im suppose to drive up there lol.

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 am

BigTweet wrote:Only thing I'm not looking forward to is that loooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggg drive to Snyder...I may have to slip Tank a sleeping pill or we'll argue the whole way there....lol

I ain't worried about the drive up there ... it's the drive back that's gonna be a bear

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:18 am

I was hoping this would be in WF!!!!

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:42 am

Game will be just 1 hour away for me, should be good one to watch. After seeing what Stratford did to Panhandle, believe they are peaking at the right time. But gonna have to go with Mart with all their weapons.
A long trip for both teams and fans. Safe travels for all.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:I was hoping this would be in WF!!!!

Or Brownwood. Lol
Defense wins Championships!

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:10 pm

At the half, Mart 12
Stratford 0

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Sounds like it is a good game.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:50 pm

End of 3rd Mart 19 Straford 7

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 pm

4 minutes left and this game is over Mart 33 Stratford 13

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:44 am

This was a game of miscues on the part of Stratford... They seemed to continually shoot themselves in the foot... Mart played well but it looked more about what Stratford didn't do verses what Mart did... Mart did take advantage of the many Stratford mistakes and made very few themselves... The Stratford QB # 5 is a beast and played a whale of a game... There certainly is no quit in that young man...

Hey BlueDawg where were you sitting?? I sat with a bunch from Stamford and even chatted with a nice young man that could have been a student, I was not sure of his age....
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

OskeeWowWow

Postby OskeeWowWow » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:03 am

HawleyRocks wrote:This was a game of miscues on the part of Stratford... They seemed to continually shoot themselves in the foot... Mart played well but it looked more about what Stratford didn't do verses what Mart did... Mart did take advantage of the many Stratford mistakes and made very few themselves... The Stratford QB # 5 is a beast and played a whale of a game... There certainly is no quit in that young man...

Multiple drops, multiple false starts (4+ in the first half, I think?), horrible tackling when they had backs for a loss (ended up being Stratford's best offensive play), missed PATs, real kicker didn't play in the game, poor kick coverage... Disagree strongly that Mart didn't make many mistakes - especially compared to how they've played the last 4 games (almost flawless). Not working on their passing game more in weeks prior might ultimately prove to be a mistake, too.

I think it's human nature to see all the stuff one side didn't do and ignore the stuff the other team could've done better. That was by far the sloppiest game Mart's played this post-season, and some of that had to do with Stratford but some of it really didn't, too.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:24 am

I listened to the game and Mart did make some mistakes as well, numerous false starts. I told tank after the game that they can’t make those mistakes against Refugio. I think possibly that four hour ride and playing out schedule this past week could have possibly had an effect on their performance. Either way congratulations to making it to another state final game.
Defense wins Championships!

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:27 am

Next week will really be out of schedule with a Wednesday evening game...

howardh

Postby howardh » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:35 am

Congratulations to Mart! Great game! It was closer than the score for sure.

Yes, Mart made some mistakes, but what killed us (Stratford) was Mart made us pay dearly for every mistake we made. The roughing the punter call on a 4th and 25, a pass interference, the blown coverage on the touchdown pass, and the 88 yard fumble runback were killers...

It was great to see both teams dig in their heels for all they were worth. In my opinion, there weren't any losers on the field at all last night! :ymapplause:

Hope Mart wins it all!

Howard

bigtank05

Postby bigtank05 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:48 pm

howardh wrote:Congratulations to Mart! Great game! It was closer than the score for sure.

Yes, Mart made some mistakes, but what killed us (Stratford) was Mart made us pay dearly for every mistake we made. The roughing the punter call on a 4th and 25, a pass interference, the blown coverage on the touchdown pass, and the 88 yard fumble runback were killers...

It was great to see both teams dig in their heels for all they were worth. In my opinion, there weren't any losers on the field at all last night! :ymapplause:

Hope Mart wins it all!

Howard

Dont understand blown coverage when yall ran cover zero the whole game lol. Anyways 2 over our linebackers where no good the 2nd half. That hurt us bad and help Stratford big time. Watched the game again Groin and ankle. Hurt our defense big time. Hopefully they heal up fast enough.
Last edited by bigtank05 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:52 am

OskeeWowWow wrote:
HawleyRocks wrote:This was a game of miscues on the part of Stratford... They seemed to continually shoot themselves in the foot... Mart played well but it looked more about what Stratford didn't do verses what Mart did... Mart did take advantage of the many Stratford mistakes and made very few themselves... The Stratford QB # 5 is a beast and played a whale of a game... There certainly is no quit in that young man...

Multiple drops, multiple false starts (4+ in the first half, I think?), horrible tackling when they had backs for a loss (ended up being Stratford's best offensive play), missed PATs, real kicker didn't play in the game, poor kick coverage... Disagree strongly that Mart didn't make many mistakes - especially compared to how they've played the last 4 games (almost flawless). Not working on their passing game more in weeks prior might ultimately prove to be a mistake, too.

I think it's human nature to see all the stuff one side didn't do and ignore the stuff the other team could've done better. That was by far the sloppiest game Mart's played this post-season, and some of that had to do with Stratford but some of it really didn't, too.

I guess I should have clarified my statement since it was going to be over analyzed... When I stated that Mart made few mistakes, I was merely saying that the Stratford mistakes were taken advantage of and were costly, and when Mart made mistakes they were not capitalized on or the damage was minimal... But, if you want to suggest that both teams played badly, I would agree totally, we went to this game expecting to see a lot more disciplined ball game by both teams and were certainly shocked to say the least... But, it has been said before and I will say it again... On any night, when you have high school kids or for that matter at any level, some games are just that way, they just look ugly... But, I would take an ugly win any day of the week... For example, the Dallas win over the Raiders on Sunday night... Very ugly, but a win nonetheless...

We will be at Cowboy stadium to see Mart and Refugio play and I hope we see a much better game... Good luck to the remaining four 2A schools, I look forward to seeing these games...
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:41 am

An ugly win is always better than a pretty loss...

Return to “2A Texas Football”