Olney

Home of the toughest football in Texas
hardrockers

Olney

Postby hardrockers » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 am

Have never seen anything like what they have going on. I don't know exact numbers, but I have heard something like only 22 kids total, and 14ish being Freshmen??? Being that young is HARD. I hope the best for them, and hope those kids start sticking it out through the hard times.

Windthorstfan

Re: Olney

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:21 pm

They must have lost some kids. Their roster had 28 to start the season 3 Srs, 8 Jrs, 5 Soph, and 12 Fresh.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:00 pm

This is hard to understand. I believe they have the largest enrollment in our district 200+ and only had 28. Think we had 50 come out and our enrollment around 160+.
How’s that happen?
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:31 pm

WindthorstDad wrote:This is hard to understand. I believe they have the largest enrollment in our district 200+ and only had 28. Think we had 50 come out and our enrollment around 160+.
How’s that happen?

From personal experience at Hawley, this is the factor that none of the kids with the exception of the ones that are out have any belief in the program and no one wants to come out and get beat like a drum every Friday night... It takes a commitment from the school board, administrators, coaches and the kids to build a program and buy into it with community support..

Believe me we have had some very lean years and have even had them in consecutive years, where we stacked losses on top of losses. It's very hard, I'm here to tell you, but you just have keep working and believing and have a little luck as well... You have to go out and support those kids that are trying and after the game hug them and congratulate them for trying their best while continuing to build up their confidence....

I feel for them that's for sure... I certainly do wish them the very best...
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:53 am

Olney for years had been a basketball town and have had some very good teams. Also at one time the basketball coach was also the AD and steered all kids toward b-ball. Don't know what the situation is now. Last good football team I remember was 1997 and they went pretty deep and ran into Sonora who won the title that year. It was a helluva game to watch.

MogulPride

Postby MogulPride » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:16 am

There were good until 2000 and it been ugly since then. Kent Jackson left for Sweetwater---and there was good reason.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Another thing I noticed about Olney was that it seemed every kid was in the band, their band was huge... They were very impressive...
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

greenmogulfan2

Postby greenmogulfan2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:24 pm

HawleyRocks wrote:Another thing I noticed about Olney was that it seemed every kid was in the band, their band was huge... They were very impressive...

They have an amazing band director. He was here at Munday for many years. Took the band to state probably half a dozen times. Great man and awesome band director.

H.TIGFAN

Postby H.TIGFAN » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:33 pm

HawleyRocks wrote:Another thing I noticed about Olney was that it seemed every kid was in the band, their band was huge... They were very impressive...

One of the schools were the band members bully the football players ?

hardrockers

Postby hardrockers » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 am

There we solid from 06-08ish, and would have been pretty good if the Pitman kid was healthy for an entire season just once. (I think he tore his ACL at least twice if not 3 times) and of all the great athletes I have seen in that area, he was one of the best.

Its just hard to believe that every school around them can go through spurts of success, and they struggle year in and year out. It does look like a situation of the kids just not being bought in, probably tired of losing, but if you had 35+ kids, and your juniors and seniors were playing, in that district you could win a game or two.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:03 pm

MogulPride wrote:There were good until 2000 and it been ugly since then. Kent Jackson left for Sweetwater---and there was good reason.

Kent Jackson is a good coach and I believe you are correct, the program started in a downward trend after he left.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:05 pm

hardrockers wrote:There we solid from 06-08ish, and would have been pretty good if the Pitman kid was healthy for an entire season just once. (I think he tore his ACL at least twice if not 3 times) and of all the great athletes I have seen in that area, he was one of the best.

Its just hard to believe that every school around them can go through spurts of success, and they struggle year in and year out. It does look like a situation of the kids just not being bought in, probably tired of losing, but if you had 35+ kids, and your juniors and seniors were playing, in that district you could win a game or two.

I remember some of those years they were a tough team. But afterwards, wins were hard to come by. It was probably made more difficult by Munday, Windthorst and Seymour were fielding state capable teams during that time-frame (roughly) and at times were all in the same district. Those were some good matchups!

hardrockers

Postby hardrockers » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:36 am

WindthorstDad wrote:
hardrockers wrote:There we solid from 06-08ish, and would have been pretty good if the Pitman kid was healthy for an entire season just once. (I think he tore his ACL at least twice if not 3 times) and of all the great athletes I have seen in that area, he was one of the best.

I remember some of those years they were a tough team. But afterwards, wins were hard to come by. It was probably made more difficult by Munday, Windthorst and Seymour were fielding state capable teams during that time-frame (roughly) and at times were all in the same district. Those were some good matchups!

Might be hard to believe now, but the year Seymour played at State, Olney beat them in non-district like 20-13.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:55 am

Here's something to consider for all teams that are not able to field JV teams. I know it's difficult to find the drive to stay on a team where you are continually getting whipped, but the other thing is if you are getting whipped and you are just standing on the sideline and not getting to play during these crushings where is the drive to stay on the team.

We played Electra two weeks ago and they had to fold their JV team. I noticed that Friday night there was a group of kids just standing off the sideline by themselves arms crossed pretty much disengaged from what was happening on the field. How do you keep those kids motivated to keep coming out in future seasons - when their current role is glorified tackling dummy at practice!!

hardrockers

Postby hardrockers » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 am

Its hard. In Olneys case, I am betting everyone touches the field. In the case of Electra, you do what you can to sneak them in occasionally.

Tough situations. Would never know what that feels like to be honest.

Return to “2A Texas Football”