2A-1 Region I District 2

Home of the toughest football in Texas
PaulR

2A-1 Region I District 2

Postby PaulR » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 am

2A-1 Region I District 2
One more week and the fun begins. Should be an exciting year this year. Most everybody has a lot of fire power and defense to back it up. We will know more about Abernathy this week when they play Memphis after a week off. If New Deal stays healthy and keep spreading the ball out they have more weapons this season from years past. Sundown just keeps winning and beat a good program late in the game against Farwell last week. And Hale Center gets Bovina this week which should be a good challenge for their explosive offense. Very well could see 4 teams with no losses entering district play.

School Name W-L Pct. PF PA Strk

New Deal 4-0 1.000 173 58 4 W
Hale Center 4-0 1.000 180 59 4 W
Sundown 4-0 1.000 182 80 4 W
Abernathy 3-0 1.000 124 34 3 W
Olton 2-2 0.500 76 76 2 L
Floydada 1-3 0.250 93 95 1 L

Blackshirt

Re: 2A-1 Region I District 2

Postby Blackshirt » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:09 pm

Good records in district but just 2 to challenge for title. Abernathy or new deal???

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:22 am

This seems to be the most talked about district from down here in South Texas ... Abernathy, New Deal, Sundown and Hale Center all without a lost ?????

What are the predictions here this week when you guys open up and favorites and any surprises ?

Sundown @ Abernathy is the big game to watch it seems like ... with New Deal beating Olton and Hale Center beating Floydada ?

PaulR

Postby PaulR » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 pm

We will know more about Abernathy and Sundown this week. Hale Center is the sleeper. I believe they are capable enough to sneak up on any of us. Hale Center's physical play cost us plenty last year. New Deal, what can I say, they haven't played a full 4 quarters all season with all of the starters. We are deeper at most positions than we have ever been. And faster in some positions from years past. If we can stay healthy I think you will see some big numbers this season. This year New Deal's strength is defense. 10 Interceptions and 3 turnovers with three scores and all games so far have been 3A and 4 A opponents except Sunray. Offense, normally we have only one or two horses scoring. This year so far 10 people have put points on the board.
Predictions:
New Deal over Olton by 35
Hale Center over Floydada by 45
Abernathy over Sundown by 2 This one could go either way. In my mind I see Abernathy winning this one. But the hairs standing up on my neck say Sundown.

H.TIGFAN

Postby H.TIGFAN » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:16 pm

My prediction

1. Abernathy
2. New Deal
3. Sundown
4. Hale Center

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:21 am

PaulR wrote:We will know more about Abernathy and Sundown this week. Hale Center is the sleeper. I believe they are capable enough to sneak up on any of us. Hale Center's physical play cost us plenty last year. New Deal, what can I say, they haven't played a full 4 quarters all season with all of the starters. We are deeper at most positions than we have ever been. And faster in some positions from years past. If we can stay healthy I think you will see some big numbers this season. This year New Deal's strength is defense. 10 Interceptions and 3 turnovers with three scores and all games so far have been 3A and 4 A opponents except Sunray. Offense, normally we have only one or two horses scoring. This year so far 10 people have put points on the board.
Predictions:
New Deal over Olton by 35
Hale Center over Floydada by 45
Abernathy over Sundown by 2 This one could go either way. In my mind I see Abernathy winning this one. But the hairs standing up on my neck say Sundown.

Good insight Paul, looks like New Deal is climbing the polls rather quickly this is going to be a fun next couple of weeks to watch. Good luck to you guys and keep us posted please.

PaulR

Postby PaulR » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:57 am

I never put the cart before the horse. Our district isn't about whom is best. I believe it's about whom survives.

footballmania

Postby footballmania » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:53 pm

http://lonestarvarsity.com/news/37644/d ... ed-squads/

On Friday night, more Texas high school football teams will join in on district action.

And if eyes weren’t already on District 2-2A Division I entering the season thanks in part to the Antelopes’ advancement to the fifth round of the playoff last year, there are certainly compelling stories waiting to unfold with four undefeated teams entering the slate. Of the aforementioned squads, Abernathy and Sundown are slated for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff Friday at Antelope Stadium.

“Abernathy is a semifinalist returning from last year and coach (Darrell Daily’s) son is a real good player,” said Roughnecks coach Steve Smith, whose team is 5-0. “They are well coached, have a lot of discipline and don’t beat themselves. So, when you play a team that strong and disciplined you really have to contain your own mistakes and be disciplined in your own place.”

The Antelopes (5-0), Sundown, New Deal and Hale Center make up the undefeated quartet, but Smith isn’t underestimating outliers Floydada and Olton.

“This is a very good district top to bottom,” Smith said. “I know four of us are undefeated, but the other two are are good quality teams. I guarantee one of these teams will be undefeated by the time it is all over, but the thing with that is it makes you play up to that level. If you are in a bad district sometimes your play doesn’t improve. In this district, you better be ready to go ever night.”

Abernathy sophomore quarterback Bryson Daily continues to spearhead the Antelope offense, accounting for 978 total yards and 15 touchdowns. Paired with teammate and junior Kole Carlisle, who has 464 rushing yards and six touchdowns, Abernathy has averaged 41 points a game.

The Roughnecks have found some talented players in their underclassmen, as well. Sundown sophomore quarterback Christian Huey has 1,590 total yards and 21 touchdowns through five games of work.

Abernathy coach Darrell Daily and company will look to keep Huey and the Sundown offense off the field Friday night while making the most of every drive.

The winner of the contest gains an advantage in district play, remaining undefeated in the process. The undefeated Lions take on Olton, while the Owls face Floydada after a week off.

With the talent that is featured in 2-2A, the district’s champs could see a prolonged playoff push.

“It is a tough district,” Daily said. “Last year, we went all the way to the semifinals and there were close games in district. We had to come back to beat Sundown last year. Our kids played hard. New Deal and Hale Center, who we beat by seven last game of (district), and those other teams were competitive. This district is tough and the teams are well coached. So, it will be a battle very Friday night, not just tomorrow.”

footballmania

Postby footballmania » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:55 am

http://lonestarvarsity.com/news/37661/c ... s-sundown/

ABERNATHY — Sundown had the bodies positioned in front Kole Carlisle, but with even a little bit of daylight the Abernathy running back was dangerous.

Once Carlisle saw his opening, he let his legs take over.

Carlisle broke free on runs of 63 and 57 yards in the Antelopes’ 49-16 win over the Roughnecks in District 2-2A action on Friday.

“Run as fast as you can. That’s my mentality,” he said. “We executed our game plan and the offensive line blocked amazing. On defense, we always play tough.”

Carlisle accounted for 278 total yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions in the contest. The Antelopes remain undefeated at 6-0 overall and improved to 1-0 in district play with the win. Sundown falls to 5-1 overall and 0-1 in district.

“You have to win every game in district and you have to win the first one to win them all,” Abernathy coach Darrell Daily said. “District is still going to be tough. We played well tonight. Defensively, we took the ball away a few times, but offensively Kole Carlisle just did a great job with a great offensive line. They did a great job on a lot of those plays where he ran deep.”

The Roughnecks threatened late in the game with a 23-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Christian Huey to Steven Quintanilla — followed up by a 12-yard score by Huey to cut the Antelopes’ lead to 49-16.

But the big scoring margin was too much to overcome for Sundown.

“I was so proud,” Daily said. “(Sundown) has been killing people with their spread offense and we have been hurt by a few teams doing it. We did a really good job and Kevin Vasquez did a heck of a job at outside linebacker. … It was just a total team effort on defense and when you take away the ball you are going to win the game and get chances on offense.”

Abernathy started the second half on a positive surge with a a 37-yard touchdown fumble return by Vasquez to put the team up 35-3 with 6:19 left in the third quarter. A Carlisle interception ensued and he later took the ball 78 yards on a touchdown pass from Antelope sophomore quarterback Bryson Daily.

Abernathy scored 21 points in the second half alone to fend off the Roughnecks.

The contest wasn’t so lopsided in the game’s opening 12 minutes — even though the Antelopes gained the initial lead.

After having to convert the ball over a couple of times, the Abernathy went to work. Daily scrambled long enough to find an open Donovan Rodriguez from seven yards out for a score to put Abernathy up 7-0 with 2:22 left in the first quarter.

Carlisle showcased his breakaway speed when given room to work with and rushed for a 63-yard touchdown 11 seconds into the second quarter.

Sundown cut the Antelopes lead to 14-3 with a 37-yard field goal from Christian Huey, but Abernathy continued to dominate the first half. Daily punched in a 2-yard score and Carlisle rushed for a 57-yard touchdown by the end of the second quarter.

The Antelopes held their lead from then on to remain undefeated.

“We played great as a team,” Carlisle said. “Every win you keep carrying on and getting better.”

NOTABLE

Entering the start of District 2-2A Division II games Friday night, there were four undefeated league opponents. Abernathy is one of the district’s few remaining undefeated teams pending other results.

PLAYER OF THE GAME

Abernathy running back Kole Carlisle had 278 total yards in the Antelopes’ win.

WHAT’S NEXT

Abernathy faces Olton at 7:30 p.m. Friday on the road in district play. Sundown travels to Hale Center to take on the Owls at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

ABERNATHY 49, SUNDOWN 16

Sundown 0 3 0 13 — 16

Abernathy 7 21 14 7 — 49

First Quarter

ABE — Rodriguez 7 pass from Daily (Rodriguez kick); 2:22

Second Quarter

ABE — Carlisle 63 run (Rodriguez kick); 11:49

SUN — Huey 37 field goal; 10:31

ABE — Daily 2 run (Rodriguez kick); 7:44

ABE — Carlisle 57 run (Rodriguez kick); 1:06

Third Quarter

ABE — Vasquez 37 fumble return (Rodriguez kick); 6:14

ABE — Carlisle 78 pass from Daily (Rodriguez kick); 4:24

Fourth Quarter

ABE — Adrian Macias 1 run (Rodriguez kick); 11:59

SUN — Quintanilla 23 pass from Huey (Failed conversion); 7:10

SUN — Huey 12 run (Huey kick); 1:17

SUN ABE

First Downs 16 12

Rushes-yards 24-130 42-326

Passing yards 218 169

Comp.-att.-int. 20-32-2 7-12-1

Punts-avg. 3-46 4-29

Fumbles-lost 1-1 0-0

Penalties-yards 7-60 3-25

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING: Sundown, Rock Thoms 8-78, Huey 14-60, Isaac Hernandez 1-4, Zach Smith 1-(-12); Abernathy, Macias 9-64, Daily 16-43, Carlisle 13-196, Sanchez 1-16, Sandoval 2-4, Cody Henson 1-3.

PASSING: Sundown, Huey 20-32-218-2; Abernathy, Daily 7-11-169-1, Loredo 0-2-0-0.

RECEIVING: Sundown, Jeremy Hernandez 6-53, Torrez 2-(-4), Issac Hernandez 2-6, Quintanilla 5-70, Smith 2-11, Mata 1-17, Bocanegra 2-15; Abernathy, Rodriguez 1-7, Ponciano 3-75, Macias 1-5, Carlisle 5-82.

PaulR

Postby PaulR » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:45 am

New Deal 46, Olton 7

NEW DEAL — Nehemiah Martinez rushed for 184 yards and two touchdowns, as unbeaten New Deal topped Olton in the District 2-2A Division I opener for both teams.

With the win, the Lions improved to 6-0 overall and 1-0 in district play. Olton dropped to 3-3 overall and 0-1 in district play.

Martinez scored on a 57-yard run in the first quarter and a 44-yard run in the third quarter for New Deal. Brandon Coronado also scored twice for the Lions on passes of 43 and 32 yards thrown by Jett Whitfield, aiding New Deal to a 39-7 lead with 6:42 remaining in the third quarter.

Whitfield passed for 117 yards and rushed for 121 yards, including a 2-yard touchdown run in the second quarter.

Floydada 25, Hale Center 21

FLOYDADA — Andrew Vega scored on a 1-yard run in the third quarter as Floydada toppled previously-unbeaten Hale Center in the District 2-2A Division I opener for both teams.

Hale Center (5-1, 0-1) held a 21-18 lead with just 28 seconds remaining in the first half when Jet Cannon scored on a 40-yard pass from Brandon Castillo and Adrian Sifuentes kicked the extra point.

Vega’s 1-yard touchdown run came with 2:16 left to play in the third quarter and Miguel Pena booted the extra point that staked the Whirlwinds (3-3, 1-0) to a four-point lead that proved to be the difference.

Cannon also scored on a 35-yard pass from Castillo in the first quarter, and Garrett Johnson scored on a 10-yard run at the 3:46 mark in the first quarter as Hale Center jumped out to an early 14-0 advantage

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:57 am

WOW .... Crazy games this week. You were right never know in this district ....

Abernathy blew away a really good Sundown team
Floydada upsets Hale Center
New Deal has a close game until half time !!!

Looks like to me yall are in for a good month of football !!!

footballmania

Postby footballmania » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:51 pm

I think so, but yes this district is dynamite this year :)

footballmania

Postby footballmania » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Video with analysis of the Abernathy Sundown game as well as interview with the coach of Abernathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL78 ... KmhkIU6344
Another video with some different highlights or camera angles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFrFZZI ... 93&index=2

PaulR

Postby PaulR » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:30 pm

oldtimer wrote:WOW .... Crazy games this week. You were right never know in this district ....

Abernathy blew away a really good Sundown team
Floydada upsets Hale Center
New Deal has a close game until half time !!!

Looks like to me yall are in for a good month of football !!!

The Olton game wasn't even close in the first half. Olton played a good 1st quarter of defense. It looked like the New Deal's coaches were experimenting with different passing schemes the first quarter and didn't run the ball much. Nehemiah Martinez is a 950 yard RB that hasn't played much more that 2 quarters all season on offense. ND put up 3 TDs in the second quarter.

We lost to Abernathy by one last year with a running back with a broken foot and a special teams mistake, our bad. We are deeper now at most positions than we were in 2013 when Stanford took us out 4 games deep into the playoffs. And I believe we have a sophomore that is as good or better running back than we had in 2013. And a QB that can move the ball also. (In the air or on the ground)

Any team in our district is capable of beating any other team if they are having an off day.

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:37 pm

That 2013 was very good and if they would have beat Stamford, the championship would have been theirs.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:02 am

Last year is just that last year. I'm excited to see what happens this year.

Does Hale Center or Sundown bounce back from their losses ???

Will Floydada keep it close against New Deal ????

Will Abernathy continue to roll against Olton ???

And for my south Texas teams I got Shiner over Weimar

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:01 pm

bluedawg wrote:That 2013 was very good and if they would have beat Stamford, the championship would have been theirs.

You never know....that's why the game is played. Drives me crazy '05 lost to Stratford 17-21 in semis, next week Stratford defeats Big Sandy 21-20 and there was talk had we beat Stratford we would have won the championship. '07 lost to Munday 16-17 in Region finals, they beat Sundown 47-0 and Bremond 26-6 and there is talk we would have won the championship had we not lost to Munday. You never know how one team will match up against another team. Just cause you match up with Team A doesn't mean you match up well with Team B who lost to team A.

PaulR

Postby PaulR » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:01 pm

We should have took Forsan last year but they put a drumming on us. Our offense looked like a geriatrics unit after the Stinnett game.
Im keeping my trap shut this year. All the attention is on Abernathy in our district. Let them deal with the pressures from rankings. For a change I have seen a concerted effort to keep our key players healthy and not over play them. It cost us big last year. We can loose a big lineman and pull a 270 lb sophomore of JV. We play under the radar with an average of 304 yards of rushing a game and a 107 yards of passing with only 65 points scored against us in 6 games. Putting up 257 points with the boys pulling the foot off the accelerator early in the third in all but one game. We wont stay their long but Ill take it while it lasts.
This week Floydada plays good defense. It should be an interesting game for a while till game plans are out the window.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:59 am

This district has been pretty confusing this year for me.

Abernathy beats unbeaten Sundown pretty handily
Floydada beats Hale Center (previously unbeaten)
Sundown then beats Hale Center pretty bad
Then Floydada gives New Deal well I guess "a game" ... by their standards
And the same with Olton giving Abernathy "a game" even though Abernathy scored at will ...

I'm ready for two more games from this district.

Abernathy vs New Deal
New Deal vs Sundown

PaulR

Postby PaulR » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:36 am

Time will tell. Olton actually has a decent offense and Floydada has a good defense. They did a good job of slowing down our run game. And taking us off our game plan. The officiating had a lot to do with the low scoring, don't really want to go there. Halecenter loosing 2 in a row in district will be like cornering a badger Friday night. We will have our hands full. The Abernathy game next week will be who survives the 4 quarter. The teams are pretty even up man for man.

footballmania

Postby footballmania » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Abernathy will be something, it should be a very even game, both teams are better than last year if you just look at how many returning players each team are fielding.

PaulR

Postby PaulR » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:23 am

From the New Deal Hale Center game
Lubbock AJ
NEW DEAL — New Deal coach Matt Hill challenged his team to start its District 2-2A Division I game with Hale Center on fire.

Thanks in part to the Lions’ offensive line, and some impressive running by Nehemiah Martinez, New Deal had no problem delivering Friday night.

Martinez rushed for 124 yards and three touchdowns, two coming in the first quarter, to lift the Lions to a 41-10 win over the Owls and remain undefeated in front of their home fans at Noland Stadium.

“Our offensive line was doing a great job, so, that made my job easy,” said Martinez, who scored touchdowns on runs of 66, 39 and 18 yards. “”We prepared really well this week and our coaches had a good gameplan. We have threats all over and executed.”

The Lions (8-0, 3-0) scored five touchdowns in the first half to bury Hale Center (5-3, 0-3), which was held to a field goal in the second quarter.

“I was really proud of how we started out tonight,” Hill said. “We started slow the last couple of weeks. So, we talked about it all week, starting off fast, and we were fortunate to come out and get a good jump on them.

“Hale Center does a tremendous job on both sides of the ball and you have to be sound. They did some things tonight that made us have to line up a little bit differently, but I was really pleased with how our kids lined up an played football.”

The Owls were forced to punt the ball away on their opening drive after back-to-back false start penalties pinned them at their own 34-yard line with 18 yards to go for a first down.

The Lions capitalized early on thanks in part to the turnover on downs. On New Deal’s first offensive play, Martinez broke a 66-yard touchdown run to put the Lions up 7-0 with 7:45 left in the first quarter.

The Lions never relinquished that lead en route to the 31-point victory.

Martinez proved difficult to bring down and showed off his speed the entire first half. He recorded a 39-yard rushing score at the 4:05 mark in the opening frame to put the Lions up 14-0.

New Deal didn’t let up on the gas pedal and went no to make it a three score difference before the end of the first quarter. Lions’ quarterback Jett Whitfield found an open Brandon Coronado for a 17-yard score, giving New Deal a 21-0 lead.

Hale Center continued to struggle offensively and punted the ball away to start the second quarter.

The Lions turned around and Whitfield showed off some speed of his own. He took a rush up the middle of the offensive line 56 yards for a score with 10:25 on the board.

With less than eight minutes left in the first half, the Owls started to show some life and moved the chains. Hale Center drove the ball from their own 31-yard line and got close enough for Adrian Sifuentes to drill a 39-yard field goal and cut the Lions’ lead to 28-3 with 2:32 left in the second quarter.

New Deal responded with an 18-yard touchdown run by Martinez, making it 34-3 heading into the half.

Hale Center couldn’t recover from the deficit in the second half despite an 8-yard touchdown run by running back Ayden Rogers in the fourth quarter.

Notable

The Lions are on a crash course with the district’s other undefeated team. With Abernathy’s 55-21 win over Floydada on Friday night, both teams sit at 8-0 overall and 3-0 in league play.

Player of the game

Nehemiah Martinez led New Deal’s ground game, carrying the ball five times for 124 yards and three touchdowns. He also played safety while on defense.

RUSHING: Hale Center, Rogers 33-133, Brandon Castillo 8-23, Justin Garcia 2-14, Jesse Hinojosa 3-1; New Deal, Martinez 5-124, Whitfield 4-74, David Morgan 8-12, Marino Ramirez 6-10, Brandon Hernandez 2-10.

PASSING: Hale Center, Castillo 7-11-171-0; New Deal, Whitfield 5-8-76-0, Ramirez 2-2-41-0.

RECEIVING: Hale Center, Josh Castillo 1-23, Rogers 2-17, Brady Branson 1-8, Jace Cannon 1-6, Sifuentes 2-5; New Deal, Coronado 3-56, Hernandez 1-41, Layton Reed 1-15, DK Blaylock 1-5, Morgan 1-0.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:07 am

MAN what a weekend in Region 1

Abernathy vs New Deal
Hawley vs Stamford
Stratford vs West Texas

Those are all for district championships and must see games !!!! I don't even know if I can make a pick on these games but I will.

Abernathy +1 close close close game and might be won in the last seconds, I give the edge to Daily at QB
Hawley +3 Quay is a two headed monster
West Texas +1 pending on weather ... If it clears up think West Texas takes the upset if its cold Stratford by 10

And down in my Region 4 Refugio beats a down Weimar team by 21 but will get tested next weekend against Shiner for the district championship.

PaulR

Postby PaulR » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:17 am

All I can tell you Oldtimer is New Deal is bigger, faster, healthier and deeper than in any years past at this point in the season since I have been on the sidelines shooting photos. Sophomore Nehemiah Martinez would be a 2000 yard rusher at this point in the season if they hadn't pulled him at halftime most games this year. 4 full quarters of our starters Friday gives me goose bumps. And what a defense, 75 points scored against all year mostly in the second half.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:56 am

PaulR wrote:All I can tell you Oldtimer is New Deal is bigger, faster, healthier and deeper than in any years past at this point in the season since I have been on the sidelines shooting photos. Sophomore Nehemiah Martinez would be a 2000 yard rusher at this point in the season if they hadn't pulled him at halftime most games this year. 4 full quarters of our starters Friday gives me goose bumps. And what a defense, 75 points scored against all year mostly in the second half.

That is pretty dang impressive, again outsider looking in I really do not have a clue who will win or know much about either of yall besides the scores I see and the write ups.

I try and keep up with District 2 and 4 just because it's been so exciting the past two years unlike District 15 lately besides Refugio and Shiner ...

To me it looks like Abernathy has played a little bit better teams like Post, Memphis and Sundown where as New Deal has to wait until the last two weeks of the season to play anyone.

Doesn't mean New Deal can't beat Abernathy just means to me Abernathy has been tested a little bit more than New Deal. There hints the 1 point advantage and not 10 point.

PaulR

Postby PaulR » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:59 pm

oldtimer wrote:
PaulR wrote:All I can tell you Oldtimer is New Deal is bigger, faster, healthier and deeper than in any years past at this point in the season since I have been on the sidelines shooting photos. Sophomore Nehemiah Martinez would be a 2000 yard rusher at this point in the season if they hadn't pulled him at halftime most games this year. 4 full quarters of our starters Friday gives me goose bumps. And what a defense, 75 points scored against all year mostly in the second half.

That is pretty dang impressive, again outsider looking in I really do not have a clue who will win or know much about either of yall besides the scores I see and the write ups.

I try and keep up with District 2 and 4 just because it's been so exciting the past two years unlike District 15 lately besides Refugio and Shiner ...

To me it looks like Abernathy has played a little bit better teams like Post, Memphis and Sundown where as New Deal has to wait until the last two weeks of the season to play anyone.

Doesn't mean New Deal can't beat Abernathy just means to me Abernathy has been tested a little bit more than New Deal. There hints the 1 point advantage and not 10 point.

I believe as we have seen, Post has been a bit over rated this year sitting at 5-3. And Sundown hasn't played anyone but Abernathy. And Floydada put up 3 TDs on Abernathy in the first half on a team New Deal shutout the week before. Memphis (5-3) has been their only test and they got out of that one by the skin of their teeth. Can't wait for Friday Night Lights. I love the drama.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:14 am

Not sure if Post is over rated ... I think if I heard correctly they lost their 2,000 yard running back that was also a starter on defense. Any small level team that has injuries suffer just like New Deal would if they lost their QB and just like Abernathy would if they lost theirs.

Who has New Deal played ? I'm not sure if New Deal has played anyone that's all I'm saying.

Hope New Deal does play a great game and I hope Abernathy does as well ... Who knows one team may win by 21, that's why you play the game !!!!

Good luck to both teams

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:16 am

oldtimer wrote:Not sure if Post is over rated ... I think if I heard correctly they lost their 2,000 yard running back that was also a starter on defense. Any small level team that has injuries suffer just like New Deal would if they lost their QB and just like Abernathy would if they lost theirs.

Who has New Deal played ? I'm not sure if New Deal has played anyone that's all I'm saying.

Hope New Deal does play a great game and I hope Abernathy does as well ... Who knows one team may win by 21, that's why you play the game !!!!

Good luck to both teams

Yes Oldtimer you are right about the injury factor, as I can certainly attest to as Hawley is certainly not the same team without Quay stokes leading it... And, I certainly don't want to knock Dylan Frazier (Hawley Junior QB) as he stepped in and did his best... But it's hard to replace a playmaker... Post has had to deal with this, Anson has had to deal with this, and also Stamford from our district just to name a few... I wish New Deal and Abernathy the best of luck as we will be watching this one closely... Good Luck to both schools...
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 am

Paul Paul Paul !!!! You were definitely right on this one !!! Congrats to your lions on an amazing game !!! What a statement game and best of luck next week against another tough team !!!

Go get em !!!

PaulR

Postby PaulR » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:01 pm

oldtimer wrote:Paul Paul Paul !!!! You were definitely right on this one !!! Congrats to your lions on an amazing game !!! What a statement game and best of luck next week against another tough team !!!

Go get em !!!

It was a good night for the Lions. Abernathy got the opening kick off and Daily made a leaping TD from the 6 and it was like ugh ouh. This is going to be a battle. We scored in 4 plays and never looked back. We got out of the game with alot of bumps and bruises and no major damage. Martinez had 20 carriers for 243 yards 6 TDs and one interception and probably close to 10 solo tackles.

I have one thing to say though, Coach Daily from Abernathy the kids and the fans are a real class act. In all the years shooting football I have never seen such a big school atmosphere in a small school. I didn't think our stadium would hold that many people. My daughter had to park at the elementary school.

PurplePunch
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PurplePunch » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Congratulations of New Deal for a great win and a great season already! Good luck the rest of the way, to both teams.

PaulR

Postby PaulR » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Video highlights from the New Deal / Abernathy game.
https://www.facebook.com/806hssc/videos ... 955994743/

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:06 am

PaulR wrote:Video highlights from the New Deal / Abernathy game.
https://www.facebook.com/806hssc/videos ... 955994743/

Awesome, Thanks Paul !!!

Two good looking teams right there !!!

Go get Sundown !!!!

Return to “2A Texas Football”