2017 Refugio Bobcats

Home of the toughest football in Texas
Blackshirt

Re: 2017 Refugio Bobcats

Postby Blackshirt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:39 pm

I think Tagle played. Heard them call his name when he made a brutal tackle.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:54 pm

No he was on the sideline in jeans, wearing number 58 jersey.
Last edited by 4Gata on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:03 am

Oh ok hmmm well good. Coukd have used him last week

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pm

The Champs will play their fourth consecutive game on the road, with two more to follow. Then finally, 2 of the final 3 district games at home. Weeks 9 = Homecoming versus Kenedy and week 11 home versus Shiner.

tackleewe

Postby tackleewe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:45 pm

If 2016 & 2017 bobcat teams played, who wins? Score? Havent seen 2017 and curious of comparison.

ManInBlack

Postby ManInBlack » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 pm

tackleewe wrote:If 2016 & 2017 bobcat teams played, who wins? Score? Havent seen 2017 and curious of comparison.

2016 wins

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:34 pm

2016 Refugio 31, 2017 Refugio 20 according to Calpreps. However, they have a disclaimer that comparing the same school, in different years may not be very accurate. It's probably not fair to compare a State Championship team to a team that has only played 3 games.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

tackleewe

Postby tackleewe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:40 pm

Didnt know u could do that at all. Wow. That pretty accurate!!!

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:06 am

I'm going to follow up on MrBob's point on a different thread. He indicated that last Friday was a very uninspired performance from Refugio against KSGA. I finally got a chance to watch the film, and I can totally understand why he felt that way. There were certainly too many fumbles, including two that ended drives about to score (one in the end zone.) After a fumble on the opening drive, the next five series the Champs looked like champs. And Kelley threw some very nice scoring passes and Ramirez looks like he needs to touch the ball more often. Then, the inconsistency overshadowed the diverse methods of moving the ball. About halfway through the third quarter Refugio played the second string teams to finish the game. It was with this group that Tagle got into the game, and stuck out like a sore thumb, given his size. I'm sure there's a reason behind it all. We have some catching up to do and need to get into a consistent rhythm. I'm glad we play Ganado first and Shiner last in district. As these cool fronts are starting to tip in, they are just another reminder that the season is begin to move quickly. Work to do....

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:18 pm

District play begins now. Refugio will spend the next 4 weeks getting their game together before showdown with Shiner. Then 4 weeks til showdown with Mason. No matter how u slice it cant see this not happening. Who else Normangee or Thrall or Ben Bolt? Not a chance. Its a 3 team region and 6 or 7 team at chance of winning state. Thats it.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:20 pm

After a 41-0 first half, the Champs scored on their only possession of the third quarter, and eventually took a knee in their only possession of the fourth quarter. There were some quick drives in the second quarter, as our passing attack struck early and often. The reserves played the entire second half, and we exited the game "healthy."
I think Yorktown will be a solid opponent, and really provide us an opponent with a good run defense. I'd like to see us get back to running the ball a little more, and find an almost balanced set. But, I'm not complaining about the quick air strikes that we used to see not long ago, either.
This will be our 6th consecutive game on the road as well. It will be nice to finally get to play at home next week.
Go Cats Go!

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:06 am

Excited to watch this game ... At least Refugio will have to play 3 quarters ... I can't wait for the Shiner game as well but the game of the year just may be with Mason !!! Keep rollin Cats

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:41 pm

I am expecting Yorktown, Weimar and Shiner to all push the Bobcats. Up to this point, the Champs have been slinging the ball quite a bit. And that may be their best identity moving forward. I'm thinking we will see more of the run game against those three opponents. We will need to play a full four quarters of quality football against Shiner. That's a great game to play heading into the playoffs.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:32 am

First home game of the year and Homecoming against Kenedy.....Refugio will have to find creative ways NOT to score after the half. An interesting fact, is that this will not be the first game this year at Death Valley. Thanks to Cuero & Aransas Pass breaking in the Jack last Friday. Cuero has a shot every year, and they look REALLY good this year. Best of luck to the Gobblers moving forward!

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Congratulations on finally getting to have a Refugio Home Game....
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:57 pm

4Gata wrote:I am expecting Yorktown, Weimar and Shiner to all push the Bobcats. Up to this point, the Champs have been slinging the ball quite a bit. And that may be their best identity moving forward. I'm thinking we will see more of the run game against those three opponents. We will need to play a full four quarters of quality football against Shiner. That's a great game to play heading into the playoffs.

I wouldn't expect Weimar to push Refugio.

ima puncher

Postby ima puncher » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:14 pm

good article I don't know how to put on forum google Mason County News

Even in Texas, Some Things Are Bigger Than Football
http://www.hillcountrypassport.com/maso ... n-football

Monte Horne
After we had lived in Mason for about a year, I asked several people how long you have to live in Mason to be called a true Masonite. I asked this question to Doris Grote and she replied with a sweet smile, “Well at least 3 generations.” The same question was given to a parent of a high school student and she replied with a question, “Well, have you had your house wrapped yet? If the answer is yes, then you can call yourself a Masonite.” So I guess whether or not we are true Masonites yet is still debatable, but my family and I feel so honored to live here and call Mason our home. The story below describes the incredible spirit of Mason and why we feel so proud to live here.

When Hurricane Harvey hit the Texas coast, we all were appalled at the news reports of tremendous destruction caused by record-breaking rains and sustained heavy winds. Much of the attention after the storm focused on the Houston area because of the large amount of rain received in such a short amount of time. However, many small towns along the Texas coast had devastating damage but did not get the same amount of press coverage. One such town was our football rival, Refugio, which is located about 30 miles north of Rockport where Harvey made landfall. The eye of the storm passed just to the west of Refugio which resulted in 6 hours of 130mph sustained winds with gusts up to 150.

Many people from Mason were already helping hurricane victims, but the idea was floated around town to also help Refugio. Cason Dudney and Ella Canfield led the effort in high school by organizing a community-wide garage sale which raised a total $5,600. River of Life Church hosted its annual fish fry for all of Mason with all proceeds to go to the Refugio Hurricane relief effort. Another $7,300 was raised through this event. With other private donations a total of $14,900 was presented to Refugio ISD on October 13.

Led by Superintendent Melissa Gonzales, high school principal Brandon Duncan, and athletic director Jason Herring, Refugio ISD has served as the distribution center for donations coming to the city. Like Mason, no one knows the needs of the local families and goes the “extra mile” more than teachers, and this was very evident in our visit to Refugio. Several students had to live in the athletic facility at the school because their homes had been destroyed and their families were displaced. The teachers and coaches stayed with kids in the center for about a month after the hurricane hit.

When funds become available, a committee of teachers and administrators directs the donations to the families most in need. Funds specifically go to projects like roof repair, floor/carpet replacement, and heat/air-conditioning. A specific project that has received priority is the house of Casey Henderson, a varsity football player who unfortunately fractured his neck while playing a game. His family’s home which is located near the high school was completely destroyed by the storm. Thankfully Casey had a successful surgery and is making tremendous strides in his rehabilitation. When he is discharged from the hospital, the school wants to make sure that he has a “home to come home to.” The repair and reconstruction is coming along very well and a portion of the Mason donation has been designated for this good work.

It was very humbling to personally see the starting cornerback for the Mason Punchers, Cason Dudney, give the donation on behalf of Mason ISD to Coach Jason Herring. After a huge “bear hug” from Coach Herring, he introduced us to several of his players that had to live at the school after the storm. After more handshakes and hugs, they gave us a tour of a part of the school and the home of Casey Henderson.

The Refugio ISD Administration was incredibly humbled and thankful for the donation. They wanted us to express their extreme gratitude to Mason ISD as well as to all of the citizens of Mason. Despite of rivalry on the field, as Cason says so well, “Off of the field, we are on the same team.” They told us that we have friends in Refugio, and they would do the same for us.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Thank you for sharing that! It was very well written. I was aware of some of the efforts that been going on in Mason, but not fully informed of just how much. That truly is an amazingly thoughtful, generous and caring outpouring from the Puncher community.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:26 pm

What an awesome story of all that has gone on by the Mason community and help for Refugio... A great display of good ole Texas hospitality with care and love for your fellow man.... Well played !!!!

I have done a little to help the the Henderson family personally.... I do have a question though, is there more needed to help on the house ???? Please let us know... Thank you Mason for an amazing effort.
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

Everide2016

Postby Everide2016 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Blackshirt wrote:District play begins now. Refugio will spend the next 4 weeks getting their game together before showdown with Shiner. Then 4 weeks til showdown with Mason. No matter how u slice it cant see this not happening. Who else Normangee or Thrall or Ben Bolt? Not a chance. Its a 3 team region and 6 or 7 team at chance of winning state. Thats it.

I was able to attend Centerville @ Thrall several weeks ago. Thrall may be able to give Mason a good game. They were well balanced on offense with their small quarterback having a pretty good arm. Defense looked solid. Also saw Mason hosting Iraan earlier this year. Both Mason and Thrall were good teams and enjoyable to watch. Thrall could take it, but I think would have to play their absolute best.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Mason over Thrall by 49.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:51 pm

As expected, a big win this past Friday over Kenedy. Started the running clock in the second quarter.

Not a competitive game at all, but made for a nice homecoming and great atmosphere for our first home game of the season.

This is something that may be of interest: There was a camera crew present from HBO Real Sports for the game and within the town. Haven't heard the expected air date, but I would expect it to be pretty soon.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:01 pm

What another special on Refugio?? Its funny how a small town like this gets so much attention like Espn. Even on football forums both when they were 3a and 2a seems like a big part of the topics were about them. Why such the interest??

PunchU
Donating Member 17/18

Postby PunchU » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:45 am

Blackshirt wrote:Mason over Thrall by 49.

:-?

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Lol yes i think well ok yes i think masin lije 49 to 0 and Refugio over weimar say 52 to 13.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:45 am

This is a really good story about the Bobcats, also includes an audio option at the end of the article:

http://stories.kut.org/homecoming/

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:41 am

For those that may be interested:

The piece on Refugio football featured on HBO Real Sports is scheduled to air on Tuesday, Nov. 21st

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:14 pm

4Gata wrote:For those that may be interested:

The piece on Refugio football featured on HBO Real Sports is scheduled to air on Tuesday, Nov. 21st

Thanks, I set the TIVO...

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:03 pm

I thought the HBO story was very well done and documented. I really loved the aerial views and different camera angles throughout town. It gave some real insight to the magnitude of destruction that occurred, and the amount of recovery that is still ongoing. Seeing Casey's journey was certainly uplifting and heart warming. Continued prayers for both the community and the Henderson's.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Refugio will win at ease this week and then get ready with for the showdown with Mason next week.

GO BIG C !

Return to “2A Texas Football”