Update on Refugio - Post Harvey

Home of the toughest football in Texas
4Gata

Update on Refugio - Post Harvey

Postby 4Gata » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:50 pm

I'm not even sure where to start. I am grateful that my family is all safe and that certainly comforts me. But, my hometown is in complete shambles. If there is any other community that took more of a beaten than Refugio, Rockport, Bayside or Port Aransas did, I have yet to see or hear about it. Refugio continues to be without power, water, or sewage. There are very large trees uprooted all over town, many of which have landed on homes and vehicles. Each school is town sustained serious damage. The high school, which was just recently renovated, has lost the roofing to the auditorium, gym and large areas of the academic areas. Power lines are also knocked down all over town. I'm not even sure when people will be allowed to return home. But, I've heard it could be as long as two weeks before any power is restored. I pray that is not the case. Every bit of footage, images and calls I am getting is hurting me to the core. I know of at least two Refugio football players that have completely lost their home. I also saw footage of the bar-b-que place completely blown away. The Baptist church across from the post office has lost its roof, and I've heard the Catholic church caught fire last night. I have not confirmed the fire at Our Lady of Refuge. School had already been cancelled for Monday, but without power and water I don't know how any of our students will be able to begin school anytime soon- much less the repairs needed on and in all three campuses.
There is significant flooding in various areas of the county. I've heard Bayside is really bad, and that Woodsboro took major blows as well. I am hopeful that the coming days do not make things worse or bring more inclement weather, I truly hope that is the case.
This storm will forever be remembered in Refugio. And it will require many hands on deck, for a really long time to clean and fix our community. As much as it saddens me to see all of this, one things that continues to uplift me is the communication with people expressing eagerness to come home and begin rebuilding. I have no doubt about that. But, in my opinion, it will be a very long time before our community is somewhat back to "normal."
I ask for continued prayers for all of the communities affected by Harvey. I'm not sure when I will be able to get back on. But, once I hear of ways to help and what is needed I will certainly update everyone.

Stay safe, stay strong, stay faithful Bobcats. I love you Refugio

dogfan1
Administrator

Re: Update on Refugio - Post Harvey

Postby dogfan1 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Prayers continuing!

Cottontop

Postby Cottontop » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:07 am

Thoughts and prayers to all affected by Harvey.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks for the post 4Gata. Even though I don't live in Refugio now, I graduated from there and still consider it my hometown. I still have family and friends living there. Yes, it has painful to see the multiple videos of people driving around town, showing the damage. I will be praying for the people in Refugio. My Church is having a short service this morning to pray for the people affected by the storm and I am going to text our Pastor and ask him to lift the residents of Refugio up this morning.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:29 am

Prayers for Refugio.

PurplePunch
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PurplePunch » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:35 pm

Praying for you guys. Lord, have mercy. So worried that the forecast of Harvey retreating along the same paths are accurate.
I'm at our place near Smithville. 20+ inches of rain, water rescues, LaGrange under mandatory evacuation, and Houston even worse, with thousands awaiting rescue from roofs. Harvey is a monster.

H.TIGFAN

Postby H.TIGFAN » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Refugio head coach Jason Herring said he has not really thought about football after the devastation the storm has caused in the town.
Herring said the district’s new high school has severe damage on the roof along with more damaged homes and businesses throughout the community. He said they will know more in the next few days onces they can assess the damage.
“We haven’t really thought about school or Friday’s game,” Herring said. “They whole city is out power, sewer for at least 10 days. We don’t know how bad it is. We have tried to reach out from a team standpoint to a bunch of our kids ot make sure they are OK or need anything. We have no cell service and all the means that we usually have and we just take for granted are gone.”

http://www.caller.com/story/sports/high ... 40501fc918

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:36 pm

Regarding Woodsboro:

From Quinton Martinez twitter:

Just spoke to Woodsboro AD Xavier Rangel. He said the only certain thing is that there will be no school next week. #txhsfb @callerdotcom

Woodsboro's football field lost its play clocks, scoreboards and even the goalposts are bent from #Harvey. #stxwx #txhsfb @callerdotcom

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Sorry, I have been out of touch for over a week, my mother has been in the hospital and I have to move her to a rehab facility after that, so I have been out of touch...

It is heart breaking to read of all of this destruction...

Prayers from Hawley and Abilene... May the Lord give you all strength in your hour of overwhelming needs...
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:02 am

Awful situation here. I saw video of young male and little sister losing their home. He was to be a freshman this year. I wonder if houses being destroyed will cause refugio to lose residents. Which also means some athletes. Will this town recover??

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:02 am

Awful situation here. I saw video of young male and little sister losing their home. He was to be a freshman this year. I wonder if houses being destroyed will cause refugio to lose residents. Which also means some athletes. Will this town recover??

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:57 am

A rainbow appears over over a Whataburger sign that was destroyed by Hurricane Harvey in Refugio, Texas, Monday

Pigskin Swammy
Donating Member 17/18

Postby Pigskin Swammy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:37 am

love it! Good luck & praying for the Bobcat Nation as well as all others affected.
The most under utilized pc of football equipment is 5 man & 7 man blocking sledd

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:24 am

A nice story-line for a true freshman from Refugio.

Marcus Gutierrez‏ @MarcG14Line 15h15 hours ago

Marcus Gutierrez Retweeted Cameron Cox
Former Refugio Bobcat Trace Mascorro will be starting as a true freshmen at UTEP for the Miners.

ds8503

Postby ds8503 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:12 am

ganado wrote:A rainbow appears over over a Whataburger sign that was destroyed by Hurricane Harvey in Refugio, Texas, Monday

"GAVE PROOF THROUGH THE NIGHT, THAT OUR FLAG WAS STILL THERE!"

#TEXASSTRONG

PRAYERS TO EVERYONE DEALING WITH HARVEY

CanadianFan

Postby CanadianFan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:06 pm

Prayers from Canadian.
Canadian Wildcats
2007,2008, 2014, 2015 State Football Champions
2015, 2016 State Basketball Champions
First School in Texas UIL History to win Back to Back Football and Basketball Championships in Consecutive years

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:10 pm

canadian high school is collecting for Refugio at fridays game. The true spirit of Texas!

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:57 pm

Thankfully, this morning I have time to provide some more details on the status of Refugio County. It has been a very difficult week and the magnitude of destruction left by Harvey is surreal. The town of Refugio has suffered tremendous damage. Every home in town suffered some kind of damage. The levels vary from broken fences and windows to total loss of property. Every property in town has either a downed tree(s) or a tree(s) from a nearby area now laying there. Many of these trees are very large and will require heavy machinery to cut, move and haul them away. There is debris everywhere, which includes siding, shingles, plywood, plants, fences, trash (you name it.) Our Lady of Refuge church has been transformed in to the Red Cross headquarters and supplies are coming in daily from all over the state. I have heard that Woodsboro took more of a hit than Refugio, but i have not made it over there yet. I also have heard that Bayside was hit very hard including the loss of Crofutt's Restaurant. Additionally, I have heard from many people that the communities of Austwell and Tivoli are completely destroyed.
The town of Refugio has been declared a "State of Emergency" and the national guard, DPS, Game Wardens, Coast Guard, Border Patrol, County and City law enforcement agencies are all stationed in town, working in shifts. There is a very strict curfew of 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. in town. No one may enter or leave town before/after those hours. This is providing safety for our residents to rest without power in their homes.
Things are beginning to move along in town, however. Yesterday, we started having some running water in some areas of town. We have so many volunteers coming into town (including those listed agencies) and crews of people are working from sun up to sundown all over town. Others are barbecuing in parking lots, and at churches and feeding all of the locals and working people. I have seen more cases of water stacked in the church than I've seen in my entire life.
Areas that continue to be in need are school supplies for all ages, clothing for all ages/sizes and both genders, baby diapers-wipes-clothing, canned foods, and non-perishable foods. These items can be brought to the OLR church and checked in.
The community center has been set up as the FEMA and local agency headquarters. Assistance is being provided for people that need help in their homes or property.
It is a very emotional time in Refugio now, and for those that are natives and will be returning soon I share a word of advice: "Please prepare yourself to see it before you go." It's one thing to see it on TV or on your phone, it is completely different to see it with your own eyes. There is no way to describe it other than our town is very bad shape. It will take a very long time to get it all done.
As I am typing this I was given the following information. The Refugio athletic department has been given the approval to begin practicing on Monday Sept. 4th. The game against Goliad next week will be played in Goliad. I am elated to hear this, because I can tell you that everyone in town has a lot to work on and get taken care of. But, while taking breaks I've enjoyed letting my mind rest while talking about Bobcat football. Our town needs a bit of "normalcy" and our kids certainly want what is a home to many of them- athletics. This storm has taken away a lot from many people in our county, but I have no doubt it will also bring our community together even stronger and I believe give our team a renewed focus on this year. I am happy that our students will begin feeling a bit like themselves soon.

Lastly, I continue to be emotional in reading the messages and prayers sent from all over. But, I would like to personally thank the supporters from Canadian and Mason that have reached out to us and shared their words of encouragement. First class no doubt, and truly heartfelt.

Continued prayers for everyone and every community affected by Harvey.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:35 pm

My heart breaks for all the communities affected. Just reading your words brings tears to my eyes. God Bless and godspeed

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:58 pm

4Gata check your inbox.

Goldthwaite is loading a trailer of supplies to bring to Refugio as we speak. We will be leaving out in the morning (Friday) and hopefully we will arrive by tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone from Refugio know if Highway 183 coming from the north is passable or will we need to find an alternate route?

Defense wins Championships!

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks 4Gata, I was at OLR this morning delivering donations from members of First Baptist Church in Bishop. It was inspiring to see the amount of donations coming in from our fellow South Texans, including 4 vehicles full of supplies from Hebbronville, who Refugio was scheduled to play tomorrow night. Volunteers are working vigorously to separate those supplies and get them to the people that need them. I agree, it is depressing to ride around town and see so much destruction, but I am optimistic that Refugio will come back better than ever.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:42 am

Continued prayers of strength and comfort for your community... May you find strength in the glory of God...

Bless you all...
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

PunchU
Donating Member 17/18

Postby PunchU » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:02 pm

Herring interview. I think this is the right move for the kids and community.

Facebook link . . . sorry
https://www.facebook.com/FOXSportsSouthwest/videos/10155073338874624/

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:01 pm

Man... If this story does not pull at your heart strings, I'm not sure what will... Very classy and top notch... We will continue to pray for strength and healing... God Bless this community...

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:41 pm

"Herring was impressed by the turnout, as 52 of the 76 players in the football program took part in the first practice."

I was hoping that more than that would show up but that's a good start. Hopefully by Friday there will be 60 plus.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Greetings once again everyone. I begin once again by expressing our tremendous gratitude for the continued outpouring of support and love we are receiving in our community. To bring everyone up to speed, there are now some parts of the town that have power -thank goodness. I believe we are days away from restoring power everywhere in town. The repairs of the schools have been made the top priority, but I honestly believe it will be awhile before those three buildings will be safe to use. There is talk that the kids could begin using some local buildings like the community center, Padilla hall and some churches as possible locations to begin classes. I'm not sure how that's going to work, but I am certain that taking care of our kids is priority #1 on the list. In the past few days I have seen representation from schools all across the state arriving and bringing supplies, feeding the locals and working in yards. Sinton, Beeville, Flour Bluff, Hallettsville, Cuero, Luling, Kerrville, SA Madison, Raymondville, and Alice are just a few of the shirts I've seen this weekend. I'm certain there are many, many more from other parts as well. People are working every day from sun up to sun down, and chipping away at the endless amounts of work to be done. This continues to be an uplifting time, and the spirit of hope and charity are on display at all times. I'm so proud of our hometown, and even though many people have been knocked down everyone of them continue to remain positive and stay strong in their faith.
I do want to take the time to personally thank the posters on this football board that have reached out to me, and continue to send thoughts and prayers. I'm extremely thankful to the supporters from Ganado, Mason, Windthorst, Hawley, and Canadian. And, I would truly like to thank Eagle1 from Goldthwaite, TX. This gentlemen and his crew from Goldy drove down to Refugio this past Friday and delivered a full trailer worth of supplies. I am glad I had a chance to connect with him, and I know firsthand that there are genuine, caring people in Goldy, TX. Thank you Eagle1- God bless you. -- (my apologies if I misspelled any community)
As I said, I'm certain that there are many more supporters from many other places that I am not aware of. While I am just one person, I ask that you all please accept my sincerest gratitude for everything you all have done, and continue to do- on behalf of the Refugio community.
Little by little, we are working together to get our little town back to normal. I know that the kids are happy to be practicing volleyball and football, and our community will have a small outlet in the coming days. Refugio is a special community, but our strength resides because we are TEXANS. And in that, we all continue to be comforted.

Thank you all and God's continued blessings-

I look forward to talking solely about football soon.

endguardtackle

Postby endguardtackle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:19 pm

FANTASTIC POST!!! So happy for your 'community'!!!

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:36 pm

That was real nice of all of the towns that are chipping in to help Refugio. In the below photo you will see the Refugio players getting hamburgers made by the Hallettsville booster club. They brought their tent and barbecue pit as well. When Ganado made the trip to Brahma country I didn't know if we were going to win but I knew I was going to get an excellent burger.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks 4Gata, I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner.
It's been a busy two weeks around here. I can honestly say that Refugio will bounce back quickly and will be stronger in the long run.
We drove through Refugio on Tuesday on our way to Port Aransas and it was good to see those Bobcats on the field practicing.
Defense wins Championships!

Pigskin Swammy
Donating Member 17/18

Postby Pigskin Swammy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:01 am

Valley View school board member & Valley View police chief took supplies gathered at school & throughout our community to Vidor Texas.

The need is still great & ongoing!
The most under utilized pc of football equipment is 5 man & 7 man blocking sledd

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:42 am

Return to “2A Texas Football”