This is probably going to make some people mad

Home of the toughest football in Texas
MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

This is probably going to make some people mad

Postby MrBob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 pm

http://www.kiiitv.com/sports/high-schoo ... /462983088

This is probably going to upset some people, but I don't think there is anything wrong with letting everyone (players, coaches, fans) know what the goal is and working toward that goal on every play, starting on day 1.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

ManInBlack

Re: This is probably going to make some people mad

Postby ManInBlack » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:57 pm

There was a more extended clip from yesterday where he talked about how good Mart, Crawford, Mason, & Shiner were all going to be - so it's not like the Cats are just expecting to roll over everyone. Like you, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a set goal and working with that goal in mind from Day 1....but you're right, there are some people who are going to be very upset with that clip.

dogfan1
Administrator

Postby dogfan1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Why? Is that not the goal of every team heading into 2 a days? If not they need to take up badminton. I never played for a team wanting to get district over so they could go to the gym and dribble dribble dribble.

ManInBlack

Postby ManInBlack » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:37 pm

dogfan1 wrote:Why? Is that not the goal of every team heading into 2 a days? If not they need to take up badminton. I never played for a team wanting to get district over so they could go to the gym and dribble dribble dribble.

I know a lot of people seem to have a problem with Herring (even though he's a really nice guy if you ever met him), so I figured a lot of people would be thinking "how arrogant" it was for him & his players to be talking about that Day 1.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:28 pm

My good friend late Jim Dulin was from Refugio and would be proud of his bobcats.
I'm with Dogfan, every teams goal on day one should be winning a state title.
Defense wins Championships!

ManInBlack

Postby ManInBlack » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:44 pm

Eagle 1 wrote:My good friend late Jim Dulin was from Refugio and would be proud of his bobcats.
I'm with Dogfan, every teams goal on day one should be winning a state title.

I agree

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:49 pm

I didn't see anything cocky about the video. You always want to have the end in mind when you start to do something. Every team should want to win state. I do wonder about the player practicing with jewelry around his neck though.

ds8503

Postby ds8503 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:10 am

Hell if you're good enough to win it all which they definitely are. Why shy away? Screw that go all in and intimidate the tar out of teams because you know no one can stop you. And the teams that don't like that need thicker skin and more time I'm the weight room.

Pigskin Swammy
Donating Member 17/18

Postby Pigskin Swammy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:45 am

The mind of a champion always expects to play for another championship..
The most under utilized pc of football equipment is 5 man & 7 man blocking sledd

PurplePunch
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PurplePunch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:13 pm

If you were 1-9 last year, set an attainable goal and organize yourself to meet it. If you were 11-3, 12-2, or better and have half your starters back, if your team isn't focused on state you are a poor coach. If you were 15-1 what other goal could there be?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:25 am

PurplePunch wrote:If you were 1-9 last year, set an attainable goal and organize yourself to meet it. If you were 11-3, 12-2, or better and have half your starters back, if your team isn't focused on state you are a poor coach. If you were 15-1 what other goal could there be?

THIS!!!

It makes me shake my head when I hear kids on the preview shows talk about winning state when their odds are nearly miraculous or needing Divine Intervention. Focus on winning the district first if that is where your team is at!!! No problems with Refugio talking about State Championship when year in and year out they are typically in the State Quarterfinals - at that point anything is possible.

Pigskin Swammy
Donating Member 17/18

Postby Pigskin Swammy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 am

exactly WF! When I hear it I wonder about a program direction, and focus.. You almost wonder if the staff has sat down with the team & really laid out any goals.. So in a lot of cases I suspect when this hasn't happened , and you stick a mic in front of a kid he just reacts naturally to verbiage of a goal to win state. At the same time you can read into the emotion there is self doubt. As a program is growing it is necessary to put realistic goals in place.
The most under utilized pc of football equipment is 5 man & 7 man blocking sledd

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:54 am

I certainly did not see anything out of line in this story... A good story about a program and school that should have high expectations...
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

Upullinmychain

Postby Upullinmychain » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:54 pm

Always figured that if you've got the hardware in the trophy case, you can talk about winning it all, anytime you feel like it. If the skins are on the wall, ain't no doubt about your abilities to put more there.. That's just my 2 cents worth.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:36 pm

Upullinmychain wrote:Always figured that if you've got the hardware in the trophy case, you can talk about winning it all, anytime you feel like it. If the skins are on the wall, ain't no doubt about your abilities to put more there.. That's just my 2 cents worth.

Agree 100%. They obviously can walk, the walk and talk, the talk. No reason to get mad. They own the scoreboard.

Return to “2A Texas Football”