District 15 2A Division 1 - 2017

Home of the toughest football in Texas
BIG C FAN

District 15 2A Division 1 - 2017

Postby BIG C FAN » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Well lets get this topic started! This is how I see this District turning out!

1. Refugio- Having a little harder preseason than it has had in the past.Meaning they will face two super tuff opponents Goliad and Navarro playing both on the road.But once District starts they should be on track .
2.Shiner - Will also face a brutal preseason playing Hallettsville, Goliad,Hitchcock,Falls City and a much improving Brazos team.Then once district starts they will have to beat Weimar and Yorktown to claim second and then travel to Refugio before getting ready to have to tangle with Mason in the second round. The season could easily end up with a 5 loss season!
3.Weimar should be the team to watch out for ,they could easily upset someone
4. Yorktown will have to beat Ganado to make it back to the playoffs .
5 Ganado could be the suprise of the district and could end up in the top three !

GO BIG C !

abe froman

Re: District 15 2A Division 1 - 2017

Postby abe froman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:12 pm

Refugio plays Goliad at home. The 2 hardest road games are Navarro and Weimar. They also get Shiner and Edna at home. Goliad and Navarro will give them all they can handle.

Not sure I agree with you that Refugio has a harder pre-season. In the past 2 rounds of home and homes Refugio has scheduled Ingleside and Lago Vista in 2012 and 2013 and had Cameron Yoe and Mathis in 2014 and 2015(2015 they played in the semis). Also have had Edna, Banquete, and San Diego on the schedule as well and they aren't horrible.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:51 am

Dave Campbell's called it just like I would have predicted. The only toss up is for 3rd and 4th place with Weimar and Yorktown.

1. Refugio. They are rebuilding/reloading but still have a stable of talent to choose from. I do see them losing in the 3rd or 4th round. Can't win it every year.

2. Shiner- Easy lock at no 2. They will be tough and give Refugio a good game but I believe they lost several good players.

3.Weimar- They have plenty of talent and will likely make the playoffs.

4. Yorktown- I look for them to get back in the playoffs.

5. Ganado- We might be one year away. It would be nice to make it back to the playoffs but the talent just isn't there. Ganado is lacking toughness, sad to say but that's where we're at in Ganado now.

6. Kenedy- Tough district to play in and make the playoffs.

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:01 am

Not sure why so many people are down on Refugio getting knocked off by Mason? Refugio returns 3/5 of their line while Mason only returns 2/5. And they should be more balanced again with Kelly taking over at QB with Avery and Mascorro at RB and Ross and Lafond at receiver. Defensively they have some holes to fill but the DL will continue to be really good with Upton, Tagle and Brown(legitimate Divison 1 DE). The biggest question marks on defense are the MLB and Corners. Mascorro should fill in nicely at one spot, the other I am not sure of. Even though they lost their corners that was by far the biggest weakness last year so finding capable replacements should be fairly easy.

However, what Refugio has done scheme wise on defense has given Region 4 teams fits the last 2 years and unless these teams start throwing it more and becoming more balanced I see Shiner and Mason still have a hard time moving the ball. Health will be a big key for Refugio since depth will be an issue but if they stay healthy I think they could be back in the title game. This includes possible non district losses to Goliad(throw it real well) and Navarro( superior depth).

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:13 am

I am waiting to see if Refugio goes back to passing the ball more this season and move Avery in the backfield to get more out of him!The biggest challenge for Refugio is replacing Hearning and Mascorro on the line ,they were beast on both sides of the ball.Should be a good season for Refugio but I don't think they will get back to Jerrys world for a few more years!

GO BIG C !

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:33 pm

BIG C FAN wrote:I am waiting to see if Refugio goes back to passing the ball more this season and move Avery in the backfield to get more out of him!The biggest challenge for Refugio is replacing Hearning and Mascorro on the line ,they were beast on both sides of the ball.Should be a good season for Refugio but I don't think they will get back to Jerrys world for a few more years!

GO BIG C !

Yeah BIG C FAN, I am also interested to see what Refugio's offense looks like this year. Up until last year, I would have said Coach Herring's preference is to be wide open, but after the success they had last year, his preference may have changed to a more of a run scheme. Personnel wise, I think Refugio could probably do pretty well, either way. I believe they will use both QBs, Senior Jacobe Avery from last year and Sophomore Jared Kelley. More Avery if they run, more Kelley if they throw the ball a bunch. There is a stable of very good running backs that will thrive in either scenario. There are a couple of experienced receivers, but it looks like they are pretty thin at this position and it may force more of a run game. The offensive line will be good either way, even without Herring and Mascorro. Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but it's the truth. So, I think Coach Herring can go either way. Which way will he go.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

retchbh

Postby retchbh » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:29 am

I'm just curious. Is Coach Cerny still the man in Shiner or did he retire?

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:38 pm

What offense did Herring run at Sonora when he won state in 2000?

ManInBlack

Postby ManInBlack » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:40 pm

abe froman wrote:Not sure why so many people are down on Refugio getting knocked off by Mason? Refugio returns 3/5 of their line while Mason only returns 2/5. And they should be more balanced again with Kelly taking over at QB with Avery and Mascorro at RB and Ross and Lafond at receiver. Defensively they have some holes to fill but the DL will continue to be really good with Upton, Tagle and Brown(legitimate Divison 1 DE). The biggest question marks on defense are the MLB and Corners. Mascorro should fill in nicely at one spot, the other I am not sure of. Even though they lost their corners that was by far the biggest weakness last year so finding capable replacements should be fairly easy.

This includes possible non district losses to Goliad(throw it real well) and Navarro( superior depth).

I think a lot of it has to do with losing 4 Division-1 athletes from a small school. The Cats always have talent, but there are dips in the talent level from time to time at every school - even Refugio. Herring and his staff bring back a good amount on both sides of the ball, but a lot of kids that are coming up haven't ever had to "carry the rope" because Jaylon, Kobie, D'Mond, & Trace were counted on to do that. Obviously Jacobe is a damn good player, Upton & Brown are stalwarts, Ross & LaFond are also really good and all of these kids did a lot last year. I'm interested to see who will step up and fill the voids though. Scary thing about last year's DBs is that those corners were seemingly the best we had because they started every game and played the lion's share. Makes me wonder what there is in the pipeline at that position. Also, I know it's just 7-on-7, but I believe Refugio's only loss this summer was a touchdown loss to Cuero - but the Cats beat Goliad several times. What does it all mean?? Who knows! Just ready for some real football again

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:05 pm

First off, greetings football fans!
I have checked in from time to time, but haven't made the time to get officially locked in until till now. So, I will begin with my take on our district. My predictions for District 15 are as follows:
1. Refugio
2/3. Weimar-Shiner, haven't made my mind up on this one yet. But, I have a gut feel Weimar could be closer to district runner up than people think. Shiner has a tradition, rightfully so, and exceptional coaching. But, this could be one of their occasional lower dips timed with one of Weimar's better rises.
4. Yorktown
5. Ganado
6. Kenedy

PurplePunch
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PurplePunch » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Many years ago, when I was a pup, I was trading film with the coach at Weimer. He has been there a long time, so I asked him how he did it. Looked me right in the eye and said "Six. Don't ever win more or they will expect you to do it every year, and don't lose more or they will have a reason to run you off". I puzzled over that all the way home. I assume he was pulling my leg, but he looked serious. Still don't know, but he survived until after I moved on and lost contact.

Looks like these Wildcats are expecting a lot more than 6 wins.

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:35 am

4Gata wrote:First off, greetings football fans!
I have checked in from time to time, but haven't made the time to get officially locked in until till now. So, I will begin with my take on our district. My predictions for District 15 are as follows:
1. Refugio
2/3. Weimar-Shiner, haven't made my mind up on this one yet. But, I have a gut feel Weimar could be closer to district runner up than people think. Shiner has a tradition, rightfully so, and exceptional coaching. But, this could be one of their occasional lower dips timed with one of Weimar's better rises.
4. Yorktown
5. Ganado
6. Kenedy

Interesting fact for you, Shiner has made the playoffs every year since 1998. After the 2005 season 3 teams or more could make the playoffs. Shiner has never made the playoffs lower than the #2 seed during this entire run. If there was a year this could happen, it might be this one. However I think Shiner will be just fine. Tradition as you said.

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:38 am

retchbh wrote:I'm just curious. Is Coach Cerny still the man in Shiner or did he retire?

Cerny is still the man

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:23 am

I agree. Shiner is a safe bet every year. I do think Weimar could be a darkhorse contender for the district seeding and a dangerous team in the bracket. However, I am just basing that off of the size, athletes and returners they have from last season. Passing the eyeball test doesn't always equate to results.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:48 pm

The question with Shiner is are they going to finish 1st or 2nd in district and if they are going to go past 2-3 rounds. All of that is a minimum. If Refugio wasn't in the district then Shiner would win the district 90% of the time.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Shiner's preseason will prepare them for District , But the good thing is Shiner play's Refugio the last game of regular season and that will help with the younger players growing up before then!The bad thing is they will have to play Refugio at home, which gives them a extra edge on the game! And then Shiner also has Weimar at Weimar for the second District game !On the bright side of things is they about 30 kids hitting the weights since summer started so they should be pretty stout in some of the positions they return from last year!Should see how they look in about 2 weeks!

GO BIG C !

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:38 am

The Bobcats have been seeing around 90 boys in the summer conditioning program consistently, and as many as 96. The work that this program puts in from the spring to the start of two-a-days is quite impressive. It's a well oiled machine.

Just days away now.....

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:24 am

4Gata wrote:The Bobcats have been seeing around 90 boys in the summer conditioning program consistently, and as many as 96. The work that this program puts in from the spring to the start of two-a-days is quite impressive. It's a well oiled machine.

Just days away now.....

I still find that hard to believe! 90+? That's almost 100% participation in football from the boys in high school. I guess I would have to see it to believe. Especially in this day and age of injury concerns and rule changes.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:06 pm

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:
4Gata wrote:The Bobcats have been seeing around 90 boys in the summer conditioning program consistently, and as many as 96. The work that this program puts in from the spring to the start of two-a-days is quite impressive. It's a well oiled machine.

Just days away now.....

I still find that hard to believe! 90+? That's almost 100% participation in football from the boys in high school. I guess I would have to see it to believe. Especially in this day and age of injury concerns and rule changes.

It is hard to believe, however with Refugio anything is possible. I think it's frowned upon if you don't play football in Refugio. ;)

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Just days away now.....

Does that include junior high kids?

I went to the UIL website to look at last year's roster that was turned in for the State Championship:
Seniors 11
Junior 19
Sophomores 16
Freshmen 22
Total of 68 kids on the roster.

TEA website shows there were 23 males in 8th grade last year - total males in 8-11 last year was 109.
Last year there were 22 male seniors, 29 juniors, 29 Sophomores, and 28 Freshmen - 108 male students

ManInBlack

Postby ManInBlack » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Yes, a lot of the JR High players come to workouts also

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Not sure what exactly is hard to believe. 80+ boys are in the weight room pretty much every available opportunity. The highest single day turnout has been 96, and yes that includes incoming 7th through 12th graders. It is a very competitive format and the boys pride themselves in it. This is not an overnight occurrence either. not sure if I would say frowned upon, but it's basically an expectation that is embraced to play football and continue the tradition in Refugio. It is one of the few places that is a true "football town."
I am impressed with the research into our numbers though.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:27 pm

4Gata wrote:I am impressed with the research into our numbers though.

The TEA numbers are public just have to know where to look to find them. Wasn't sure if UIL would have the roster from the State Championship programs still on their website or not - just did some digging!!!

PurplePunch
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PurplePunch » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Mason has 84 playing high school football, so, yeah, I'm sure the Bobcats have 96 in their workouts, 7-12. In towns with their tradition and competitiveness, you need a great reason to NOT play football.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:29 pm

PurplePunch wrote:Mason has 84 playing high school football, so, yeah, I'm sure the Bobcats have 96 in their workouts, 7-12. In towns with their tradition and competitiveness, you need a great reason to NOT play football.

Hey PP, this is an amazing statement... It just goes to show how you build and maintain a quality program... We can only aspire to be like such a great, quality, proven, and winning program... Totally amazing and very inspiring... Thanks for sharing...
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:58 pm

I'm just ready for some football!

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:46 am

I drove thru Nixon, Smiley, Stockdale, Falls City, Poth, Karnes City, and Kenedy yesterday. Let me tell you, FC has a nice school! Poth and KC couldn't say a lot about either way but they're nice little towns. Kenedy, wow! For a town to have a population of 3,300 they have a Walmart, Oreillys, Autozone, Tacobell, HEB, Mcdonald's, Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen, Sonic,several Mexican restaurants, 10 hotels, Subway, etc. That Eagle Ford Shell brought in millions to Kenedy.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:47 am

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:I'm just ready for some football!

I can't wait either!!

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:53 am

Yeah that Karnes City/Kenedy area blew up over the last 5 years or so. Which is what shocked me that Kenedys enrollment was so low. Then I found out about their rating which allowed students to transfer to local schools without any kind of penalty. I forget what the term is.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:52 pm

SAD DAY IN SHINER !

The well known Shiner's Defensive coach Billy Turek ,retired Monday morning . Due to health conditions he decided to give it up after 37 years at Shiner high. He will be greatly missed! Enjoyed the time you spend at Shiner ISD and look forward seeing you at the games!

GO BIG C !

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:33 pm

BIG C FAN wrote:SAD DAY IN SHINER !

The well known Shiner's Defensive coach Billy Turek ,retired Monday morning . Due to health conditions he decided to give it up after 37 years at Shiner high. He will be greatly missed! Enjoyed the time you spend at Shiner ISD and look forward seeing you at the games!

GO BIG C !

Sorry to hear that. Wish him well and the best of health.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Cerny is making it seem like Shiner doesn't have much to work with this year. I read the Victoria article. Inexperience, 6 seniors, down but not out, playing guys who aren't physically ready, and having to rebuild.

With all of that said, Shiner will make the playoffs. I could see a scenario where Shiner finishes 3rd behind Weimar but no way Shiner misses the playoffs. If Ganado had a good team and Yorktown had the same team from last year then yes, it would be possible. Reality is Ganado isn't ready to beat an inexperienced Shiner team and neither is Yorktown. We'll find out if Weimar can beat Shiner.

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2 ... xperience/

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:25 am

Shiner fans, y'all aren't getting transfers like your Yoakum neighbors? I read where they beat up on Gonzales pretty good. They had a corner-back and quarterback transfer on their team. They must not be joking on the FSSW football app about all of these transfers playing for Yoakum.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:15 pm

According to the Victoria Advocate, Hallettsville is putting it on Marion.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:59 pm

I'm hearing Refugio held Mathis and San Diego to a combined -7 total yards.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:08 am

Will Refugio be in dissaray after horrible sad hurricane? Will they lose athletes because families have to move away. Will this change the bobcats forever? ?

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:00 am

Blackshirt wrote:Will Refugio be in dissaray after horrible sad hurricane? Will they lose athletes because families have to move away. Will this change the bobcats forever? ?

Those are legitimate questions but I have no doubt that some in the state would be more than happy if this was the undoing of Refugio football as we know it. I hope Refugio stays strong and loses no residents.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:59 am

Times like these are not the time to talk about the possibility of the demise of a football program or a town for matter.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Actually its more than football in that just like Katrina many people moved away and never returned. On the social economic side of it alot of the lower income houses are the houses that were destroyed. Alot of the lower income houses that were destroyed belong to african americans and latinos which are a BIG part of Refugios success through the years. I hope they do recover because not only successful but makes all these forums fun. Example Running up the score etc.

Pigskin Swammy
Donating Member 17/18

Postby Pigskin Swammy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:Times like these are not the time to talk about the possibility of the demise of a football program or a town for matter.

AGREED!!!
The most under utilized pc of football equipment is 5 man & 7 man blocking sledd

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Blackshirt wrote:Example Running up the score etc.

TREAD LIGHTLY - this is 2017. What's done is done. No need to bring up old history.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Refugio may not play a game until the fourth week of the season. I have seen circumstances like these cause a team to really "circle the wagons" and become a very focused group. It could spell trouble for the rest of 2A Division 1.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:54 pm

If i have to tread lightly and tiptoe around a relative football matter and not talk football then maybe this site isnt for me. If thats the case by all means ban me. But remember i guarantee many in refugio and around class 2a are thinking of this. With this being said i hope they rebuild and win state because without them this site could become quite boring.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:11 pm

MrBob wrote:Refugio may not play a game until the fourth week of the season. I have seen circumstances like these cause a team to really "circle the wagons" and become a very focused group. It could spell trouble for the rest of 2A Division 1.

I for one hope that Refugio can get a game in week 1 or 2 but the good thing is they have a bye week 3. If their first game of the season is week 4 against Edna they will have only missed 2 games.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:46 pm

I agree if Refugio cant play 1st two weeks he possibly look for a game if any team has a bye and WILLING to play them.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Good luck Refugio. I am sure the town wil rebuild. There is so much pride there. I would put my money on a TEAM that comes out and practices and even plays harder for the love the community gives the team.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:49 am

Week 2

Refugio @ Goliad- This one will be closer than expected, a lot of that will do with missing a game and week of practice. 35-21.

Hallettsville @ Shiner- The Brahmas will take this one by 21. I think Shiner is rebuilding a little and a top 5 Hallettsville in 3a Division 1 will be too much to overcome.

Palacios @ Ganado- Ganado should get a win here. We are definitely rebuilding. Indians by 6.

Kenedy @ Bruni- Bruni is too much here. 28-14.

Randolph @ Yorktown- The Wildcats prevail 27-20.

St. Michael's @ Weimar- The Wildcats also win this game. 35-14. Maybe Weimar finishes 2nd this year in district...

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Refugio will field a team. However not all players are back. Still no electricity and water. There will be varsity and jv players playing and also in different positions. Very likely goliad wins and even could run away with this one. goliad is no slouch this year.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:34 pm

Ganado and Palacios are playing a scrimmage Friday. I don't entirely agree with it.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Week 3

Refugio Bye week

Shiner @ Brazos- Every team in district would've lost to Hallettsville, no shame in that. Shiner bounces back big this week. 42-13.

Ganado @ Schulenburg- Ganado missed the first two games which could've started the Indians off 2-0. Instead, Ganado will be 0-1 instead of 2-1. Shorthorns 28-7.

Woodsboro @ Kenedy - Kenedy falls to 0-3 here. It's looking like another one of those years. 35-21.

Yorktown @ Bruni- The Wildcats lost the first two games by a combined 21 points. They will get a win here 27-20.

Weimar @ Luling- Luling wins this one 14-0.

Return to “2A Texas Football”