District 4-2A Division I (2017)

Home of the toughest football in Texas
HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Re: District 4-2A Division I (2017)

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:59 pm

Forsan vs Post

Forsan has a good throwing quarterback and great receivers, Post could have some trouble if he has time to throw... Post has a great defensive front that can really get off the ball... Post with their run first offense could create lots of trouble for Forsan if they cannot stop the run... I'm going to take Post in this one as I am not sure that Forsan can consistently stop their defensive front and their offensive running game...

Hawley vs Stamford

Stamford is back and very much improved. They have been playing some good football and doing so with the next man up mentality as they have had to weather the injury bug. I look to see Stamford throw everything at us with their running and passing game.

Hawley has quietly climbed to the top of the district and want to finish what we started... This is Quay's last district game and last home game of his career... I can guarantee you he will be playing lights out and will do everything to put this game on his back... The Hawley defensive front has jelled and have been stifling the last two games.

I look for this to be a very hard fought out game on both sides, I'm taking Hawley and 'The Cyborg' to win the District Championship...

Go Bearcats - Let's Finish This !!!
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey Henderson & Scott Akins Go Bearcats, Congratulations on 50 Years !!! **== **== **== **== **==

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:59 am

Man this is so much fun ... so glad I dont have a dog in the fight.

It would be cool to see Forsan win this weekend but not sure Post will let that happen ...

Hawley vs Stamford is one of the three biggest games in Region 1 this weekend along with Stratford vs West Texas and Abernathy vs New Deal

Some how I wish I could tivo all 3 games ....

Quay is a monster and playing his last district game at home, I would love to see him finish off his amazing come back year with a win.

My Picks:

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:49 pm

Built Ford Tough Player of the Week - Week 6

2A
Quay Stokes
QB/FS
Hawley

2017 Week 6 Player of the Week

The West Texas Ford people from Anson, TX waited a week this time before coming out to present Quay Stokes with his 3rd - 'Built Ford Tough Player of the Week' award. Here are the pictures of them presenting Quay as well as Coach Mitch Ables the award. To date, Quay is the only three time winner of this award. This also puts Quay in the running for the Ford Tough Player of the Year. Congratulations to Quay Stokes - Hawley High Senior...

2017 Week 6 Player of the Week - Hawley Sr. QB - Hawley 28 vs Seymour 0
• 332 yards of offense and four touchdowns - 2 Passing, 2 Rushing. Surpassed 10,000 yards (Passing & Rushing).

2016 Week 6 Player of the Week - Hawley Jr. QB - Hawley 48 vs Seymour 21
• 586 yards of offense and eight touchdowns - 4 Passing (494 Yards), 4 Rushing (92 yards)

2015 Week 7 Player of the Week - Hawley Soph. QB - Hawley 39 vs Stamford 21
• 403 yards of offense and three touchdowns - 2 Passing (211 Yards), 1 Rushing (192 yards)
Attachments
IMG_5215b.jpg
IMG_5215b.jpg (127.24 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
IMG_5208b.jpg
IMG_5208b.jpg (126.6 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey Henderson & Scott Akins Go Bearcats, Congratulations on 50 Years !!! **== **== **== **== **==

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:15 pm

I guess everybody that is having a home game Friday night is having Senior Night ??? I know that we are and I really wish we were Not... Too much of a distraction... Thoughts ????

bluedawg

Postby bluedawg » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:46 am

I don't think distractions will hurt a good solid football team and solid coaching.

Talk about distractions, when a team plays for the first time in AT&T stadium, now that is a distraction, but still the best teams usually play a solid game and win. Just my 2 cents.

Go Blue

lsg13

Postby lsg13 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:25 am

I dont think it is a distraction,I recently had a conversation with a varsity player he said on friday all he could think about was the game could not concentrate on school work at all

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:55 am

To me this is a distraction just like Homecoming and leads to a longer halftime as well as valuable time spent doing the dog and pony show... You would never schedule Homecoming for a district game and I feel that this is the same... I buy in to the fact that not all teams could be distracted and I certainly buy in that not all players are affected the same... But just the added length to halftime, missing the valuable transfer of game planning as well as the added length to halftime and momentum swings, I just think it's a liability in a district ball game and is not a good thing...

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:25 pm

These are pictures that I found from two years ago that I saved from my digital subscription to Abilene Reporter News, I have these in a rolling screen saver of Hawley games to remember... These pictures are from the Hawley / Stamford game in 2014... What a game that was for sure...

These were taken for Abilene Reporter News and I called to make sure it was okay to use these as long as I referenced Abilene Reporter News... Thank you for their approval and support....
Attachments
Hawley_3_25047279_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
Hawley_3_25047279_ver1.0_640_480.jpg (48.22 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Hawley_4_25047280_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
Hawley_4_25047280_ver1.0_640_480.jpg (28.54 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Hawley_5_25047281_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
Hawley_5_25047281_ver1.0_640_480.jpg (43.43 KiB) Viewed 1206 times

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:26 pm

A few more...
Attachments
Hawley_1_25047277_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
Hawley_1_25047277_ver1.0_640_480.jpg (34.89 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Hawley_2_25047278_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
Hawley_2_25047278_ver1.0_640_480.jpg (46.02 KiB) Viewed 1206 times

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Big Country Game of the Week: Hawley hosts Stamford for district title

Evan Ren, Abilene Reporter-News
Nov. 1, 2017
http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 820115001/

LAST WEEK: 40-6, .870
SEASON TOTAL: 302-75, .805

Winner-take all district title games are a prime target for Big Country Game of the Week, and they typically go straight to the top of the list, as long as they figure to be competitive.

This week our spotlight game lands in Hawley (7-2, 3-0 District 4-2A Division I), where the Bearcats will play host to perennial toughie Stamford (6-2, 2-0). At stake: no less than the league crown to the victor.

As for who to pick, I won't go to the usual criteria when these two clubs square off — offense.

Don't get me wrong, both clubs are once again, explosive, with Stamford putting up 36 points per night and Hawley tallying 147 combined points since the return of quarterback Quay Stokes from an injury one month ago.

This year, however, it is defense that is the key difference maker, with much of it coming from a Hawley club that is allowing just 17 points per game.

Over its last four games, Hawley has allowed only 35 combined points, including shutouts of very good teams from Seymour and Post.
Stamford has played solid defense all year as well, but has proven slightly more vulnerable on that side of the ball. The Bulldogs have been touched for a combined 62 points over the last two weeks in wins over Anson and Post. Hawley, by comparison, limited both of those clubs to a combined 14.

One extra defensive stop gives the Bearcats the win.

PICK: Hawley by 7

EVAN REN’S BIG COUNTRY PICKS
(Projected winners capitalized)

CLASS 2A

Archer City at HASKELL
Bronte at BAIRD
DE LEON at San Saba
HAMLIN at Roby
Miles at ALBANY
Petrolia at MUNDAY
Ranger at LINDSAY
Tahoka at ROSCOE
Winters at CROSS PLAINS

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:59 am

BC Game of the Week: Stamford travels to Hawley

By Evan Ren

http://www.reporternews.com/videos/spor ... 107255234/

This is a nice video that has good interviews from both Stamford Head Coach Ronnie Casey as well as Hawley Head Coach Mitch Ables... Also some nice pictures from both schools...

Well done by Evan Ren....

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:04 am

Teammates help KTXS Player of the Week return from concussion

Evan Nemec
Nov 01, 2017

http://www.ktxs.com/news/teammates-help ... /650741160

Anson's Moser is the KTXS Player of...

ANSON, Texas - Each week many area football players put up big stats and have great games, but it's even more remarkable when a high schooler does that while overcoming adversity.

Anson sophomore Elijah Moser ran for a career-high 275 yards and four touchdowns against Forsan to earn the KTXS/Abilene Teachers' Federal Credit Union Player of the Week honor.

"Every time we got the ball back we had one good run. Another good run would come off that," Moser said about the Tigers' 62-41 win. "As long as we had the momentum, a good play was going to happen."

Last week's game was Moser's first since suffering a severe concussion and being airlifted to Hendrick Medical Center in Abilene.

"I remember getting hit. I remember waking up on the ground and trying to get up and [the trainers] just shoved me down and said, 'Don't get up.' They did that for precautionary reasons."

Moser said he spent three or fours at Hendrick while being evaluated.

"It was pretty scary. For a little bit I didn't know what was going on."

The running back and linebacker said he wasn't allowed to do anything for several days, and missed a week of school and football to heal. A stomach bug didn't help his recovery process, as he wasn't sure if the affects of the concussion were still present, or if it was due to the new illness.

He was cleared to start practicing again on the Monday of the Forsan game.

"Any time you have a devastating injury, such as a head injury, you don't know what that's going to do to a kid's mentality," Anson head coach Chris Hagler said. "I was really surprised that he came out like he did. Not in his ability, but in his response to what went on.

"Boy, it was a good response. He looked like somebody that had been caged up for a long time."

Moser also grabbed an interception on defense, and almost returned it for a score. He said he was able to play so well returning from his concussion because of the help he got from others.

"My team kept lifting me up every time I fell down. If it wasn't for the team and the fans, I probably wouldn't have gotten up again.

"It's really hard coming back from an injury, and starting to play again, but when you have people around you supporting you, it's a lot easier."

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Games ARN is staffing Nov. 2-3

Nov. 2, 2017
http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 819142001/

The end is near. Not because this was the week of Halloween and El Dia de Los Muertos.

It's week 10, meaning most teams have just two games remaining in the 2017 season. Some just one.

Here's where the ARN will be Week 10:

Evan Ren has the Big Country Game of the Week Dodge going north for a change, back to the "scene of the crime" in 2015. That's when an emerging Hawley program defeated perennial powerhouse Stamford. The teams meet in Hawley again. The Bulldogs are 6-2 and 2-0 in district; Hawley is 7-2 and 3-0 in district. Both teams have lost close games to Hamlin. This is for the league lead.

The rest of the games are not 2A...

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Hawley defense, Stokes, brace for Stamford

Nov. 2, 2017

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 825189001/

HAWLEY — After breaking his leg just above the ankle in the season opener against Munday, Hawley quarterback Quay Stokes set what seemed to many as an impossible goal: returning for HHS' final non-district game against Seymour on Oct. 6.

Seven screws had been surgically placed to aid the healing process, but many were skeptical that the senior would make it back in time for the district opener, much less the Seymour game.

Stokes proved the doubters wrong, returning in time to help the Bearcats to a 28-0 win over Seymour and subsequent district victories over Forsan (40-21), Anson (51-14) and Post (28-0).

That, however, is only a portion of the Hawley story for 2017 — the foundation of which has been set by defense that has quietly become one of the best in the Big Country.

Both will see the spotlight Friday evening when the Bearcats (7-2, 3-0 District 4-2A DI) play host to area powerhouse Stamford (6-2, 2-0) in a winner-take-all district title showdown in the Big Country Game of the Week.

And it is defense, which will top Hawley's list of keys if it is to defeat a Stamford club that has won six of its last seven games, averaging 36 points per night.

"Those guys up front are really getting in the backfield and I think that helps everybody," Hawley coach Mitch Ables said. "We've got a good linebacker corps that's shooting into the spots they're supposed to shoot and they're able to read what they're supposed to read and it really helps the whole picture of the defense.

"We're definitely going to have to stop the run and it's going to be a challenge against Stamford. They've got some good backs. We're just hoping our guys can hold the gaps they're supposed to hold and keep them hemmed in."

Stokes, who is better known for his offensive prowess (58 of 92, 1,085 yards, nine TDs, 436 yards rushing, 12 TDs), has contributed to the defense as well, from his safety spot.

The senior has repeatedly benefitted from short fields provided by Bearcat defensive efforts — a tough combination for the opposition to deal with.

"Our defense is really clicking right now," Stokes said. "They're firing on all cylinders and really doing a great job for our offense."
A linebacker corps of Colton Marshall (40 solo tackles, 23 assists), Tanner Schnoor (21 solos, 29 assists), Michael DeLaGarza (11 solos, 21 assists) has been the anchor that has held seven of eight opponents to three scores or less.

This represents one of the best defensive runs seen at a Hawley program that has been on the upswing over the past decade.

"They're a good football team and their front seven is as good as anyone's we've faced all year long," said Stamford coach Ronnie Casey, whose club has played solid defensively as well, limiting the opposition to 22 points per game. "We're going to have to do everything we possibly can to disrupt them and make them run sideline to sideline to wear them out. ... For us offensively, we're going to have to run crisp routes and deliver the ball when they're not there.

"On the other side of that, we've got to stop Quay. Quay makes things happen and (SHS quarterback) Payton Bevel on our side gets out of (bad) situations and makes things happen. ... This is going to be an excellent ballgame. I'm not expecting anything but that through all four quarters."

For Stokes, an all-Big Country performer who has been a starter since early in his freshman season, simply taking the field, win or lose, has been a blessing.

"A lot of people didn't know it, but I had set a personal goal to come back for Seymour," he said. "When the doc gave me the 'good-to-go' I was ecstatic, hopping with joy.

"But in the back of my mind I knew I would get to come back."

Hawley senior quarterback Quay Stokes looks for a receiver during practice on Nov., 1, 2017 in Hawley.(Photo: Evan Ren/Reporter-News)
Attachments
636452207238914660-DSC-0300.JPG
636452207238914660-DSC-0300.JPG (51.5 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:26 am

Stokes' return a huge boost for Hawley

By Evan Ren

http://www.reporternews.com/videos/spor ... 107099688/

Nice video interview of Quay and Coach Mitch Ables...

bluedawg

Postby bluedawg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:31 am

Post over Forsan Post is fighting for a playoff spot

Stamford over Hawley Stamford's speed is their strong suit while defense is probably their weakness. They will have to use that speed to slow Quay down and put lots of points on the board to win this one.

Good luck to both teams and hope their are no injuries for these two teams as they head into the playoffs.

Go Blue

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:02 am

bluedawg wrote:Post over Forsan Post is fighting for a playoff spot

Stamford over Hawley Stamford's speed is their strong suit while defense is probably their weakness. They will have to use that speed to slow Quay down and put lots of points on the board to win this one.

Good luck to both teams and hope their are no injuries for these two teams as they head into the playoffs.

Go Blue

Amen My Friend.... No injuries for sure... Good luck tonight and safe travels....

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:09 am

District 4-2A Games Tonight:

Post - 58
Forsan - 21

Stamford - 35
Hawley - 32

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:16 am

BC Game of the Week: Stamford scores late to nip Hawley

Nov. 3, 2017

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 831240001/

HAWLEY — A clutch play and a controversial call put an exclamation point on a classic Big Country Game of the Week on Friday as the Stamford Bulldogs rallied for a 35-32 win over Hawley at Forester Field.

The game pitted the top two teams in District 4-2A Division 1.

Peyton Bevel found Lonnie Applin in the back of the end zone with 0:12 to play for the game-winning score and threw for 234 yards to lead Stamford (7-2, 3-0), which locked up the district title with the come-from-behind win.

Hawley, which led 19-14 at the break and for much of the game, had one more stab at a victory. But a would-be game-winning 47-yard touchdown pass from Quay Stokes to Jayce Hardee as time expired was called back for illegal motion.

The Bearcats, who were led by Stokes’ 162 yards passing and 49 yards rushing, dropped to 7-3 and 3-1.

“It was two great teams squaring off with each other,” Stamford coach Ronnie Casey said. “I hate it came down to a (controversial) play, but I was proud to be a part of this.”

Key play: Bevel’s pass to Applin while scrambling for his life for a 9-yard TD pass was huge.

Next up: Hawley has completed its regular season. Stamford is home against Forsan.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 am

Man oh man oh man. What a weekend.

Hawley edged out in a classic game and Abernathy gets smashed by New Deal

Looks interesting up there for play off spots boys.

Post vs Anson for 3rd/4th place
New Deal vs Sundown which could cause a three way tie for 1st if Sundown wins

Good luck and stay healthy

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:42 pm

DISTRICT 4

STAMFORD 7-2 / 3-0
HAWLEY 7-3 / 3-1
ANSON 5-4 / 1-2
POST 6-3 / 1-2
FORSAN 3-6 / 0-3

WEEK 11

ANSON VS POST
STAMFORD VS FORSAN
HAWLEY - BYE

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Big Country Notebook: Stamford-Hawley game one for the ages

Nov. 4, 2017

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 833195001/

One of the privileges of getting to pick the Big Country Game of the Week is all the memories it creates.

While I freely admit to choosing my share of stinkers over the past 12 years, I’ve also witnessed some of the greatest games the area has ever produced. And I’m quite comfortable making that claim.

There’s almost always a nugget of gold to mine somewhere in the Big Country on a Friday night, and when we find one, it can leave a permanent imprint on our psyche.

Stamford and Hawley added a new memory to my list on Friday, in a game that defied description — a 35-32 Bulldog win that featured more drama than any daytime soap can hope to produce.

You can’t make this stuff up.

More: BC Game of the Week: Stamford scores late to nip Hawley

Aside from multiple clutch plays and comebacks, there were two onside kick recoveries and a successful fake punt. There was a wounded quarterback (Hawley’s Quay Stokes), clearly in agony, trying to win his last home game on Senior Night.

Then there was a game-winning touchdown pass from Stamford’s Peyton Bevel to Lonnie Applin with 12 seconds to play that was pure clutch. This was followed 12 seconds later by a would-be game-winning 47-yard touchdown pass from Stokes to Jayce Hardee that was called back on a penalty.

There a defensive two-point conversion off a fumble return, which was blown dead after it was ruled the ball carrier had broken the plane of the goal line. There was a big-time comeback from Stamford (down by 12 points twice in the first half). There was a Hawley assistant coach ejected. There were three second-half lead changes (nearly four if you include the negated game-winner).

Oh, and did I mention this was a winner-take-all fiesta for the District 4-2A Division I championship?

In the end, one side was completely jubilant. On the other side … well, I probably don’t need to describe it.

As for the aforementioned controversy, that’s only the beginning. I have not seen the game film. But both sides confirmed that there was indeed, a judgement call to make involving motion prior to the snap.

In other words, we really don’t know if the call was correct or not.

The misfortune for Hawley (and good fortune for Stamford) is, the nature of the illegal motion, correct call or not, had no bearing on outcome of what would have been the game-winning play.

In other words, if there is no motion, the Bearcats are district champions.

Or are they?

• The possibility that there was actually no time on the clock when Hawley snapped it’s “game-winner” is now being raised after game film study. But at this point, that theory is unproven.

• Also in question: A crucial onside kick recovery by Hawley to open the second half that was ruled valid may not have traveled 10 yards. Stamford strongly believes that call was missed and it led to an important score by the Bearcats.

But not to worry. There is plenty of controversy to go around.

• Both sides, after reviewing the game film, are saying that the fumble return on a Stamford fourth-quarter two-point conversion which was blown dead, was actually a questionable call. That’s huge, because it created a four-point swing, taking two points from Hawley and giving two to Stamford.

• Want more? OK, the possibility that Applin had stepped out of the back of the end zone, then returned to the field of play to score Stamford’s game-winner has also been raised. Having not seen the game film personally, I can offer no opinion on whether that viewpoint is correct or not.

Through all of this, an aging sports writer who wears hockey jerseys to football games was busy blowing out three ink pens and running his cell phone battery to zero.

In the middle of my postgame interview with Stamford coach Ronnie Casey, which was conducted shortly after his tearful spouse hugged him, my cellphone went kaput. If you’re into stats, I think I captured a grand total of eight of Casey’s words on video.
More thoughts on Friday’s game:

• I have no idea what’s holding Stokes together, but if someone found duct tape, super glue and a stapler in his athletic bag, I wouldn’t be stunned. I jest, but anyone who says old-school football players were tougher than the kids we have today hasn’t seen Stokes play.

• Both coaches, Hawley’s Mitch Ables and Stamford's Casey are handling the aftermath of this game with class. This thing was a fast-paced mind-blower with so many plays that could have changed the outcome that singling out one play shortchanges one of the greatest Big Country Games of the Week we’ve ever had.

bluedawg

Postby bluedawg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:48 am

One of the craziest games I've seen in a while. Besides all the craziness this one was one hard hitting game where both teams left it all on the field. If there is such a thing as a slobber knocker, this game was. Hope Hawley gets some time to heal up up with their bye week.
Ready for the playoffs that Stamford missed last year for the first time in a long. But first have to take care of business against Forsan this week. GO BLUE

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:39 pm

WEEK 11

ANSON VS POST
STAMFORD VS FORSAN
HAWLEY - BYE

Well Week 11 is finally here... Seeding for the playoffs... Who have you got ????

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:46 am

HawleyRocks wrote:WEEK 11

ANSON VS POST
STAMFORD VS FORSAN
HAWLEY - BYE

Well Week 11 is finally here... Seeding for the playoffs... Who have you got ????

Anson over Post
Stamford over Forsan

If I'm correct I think that would put the standings like:

Stamford
Hawley
Anson
bluedawg

Postby bluedawg » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:45 am

I think you right on Oldtimer.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:11 am

DISTRICT 4 - Final Standing Prior To Post Season

STAMFORD 8-2 / 4-0
HAWLEY 7-3 / 3-1
POST 7-3 / 2-2
ANSON 5-5 / 1-3
FORSAN 3-7 / 0-4

WEEK 11

STAMFORD 38 VS FORSAN 27
POST 63 @ ANSON 6
HAWLEY - BYE

bluedawg

Postby bluedawg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:55 am

Post BIG win surprises me?

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:26 pm

bluedawg wrote:Post BIG win surprises me?

Not really surprised as much as I think that Post is maybe getting it going and just at the right time.... But Anson is certainly going in the wrong direction that's for sure... I'm not even sure they win a playoff game and normally I pick District 4 over District 3 in a sweep...

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Stamford (8-2) vs. Anthony (4-6), Friday 7:30 p.m., at Andrews’ Mustang Bowl

Hawley (7-3) vs. Christoval (4-6), Friday 7:30 p.m., at Bangs’ Dragon Memorial Stadium

Post (7-3) vs. Ozona (6-4), Friday 7:30 p.m., at Forsan's Buffalo Stadium

Anson (5-5) vs. McCamey (9-1), Saturday 7 p.m., at San Angelo Stadium

Okay, it's the post season... Who ya got and why?

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:05 am

Barring any unforeseen injuries to key individuals...

I'm taking Stamford, Hawley, and Post...

Anson is going to have to play better and win the turnover battle.... I won't be surprised either way, but still think McCamey takes this one...

Good Luck and safe travels to all schools...

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:54 am

HawleyRocks wrote:Barring any unforeseen injuries to key individuals...

Anson is going to have to play better and win the turnover battle.... I won't be surprised either way, but still think McCamey takes this one...

I don't know much about this district you guys are playing but is McCamey good ?
I was surprised by the domination Post unleashed on Anson .... was that the beginning of the end for Anson ?

I agree all other 3 teams roll in this one !!!

bluedawg

Postby bluedawg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am

With Anthony and Christoval being 3rd and fourth in their week district, Stamford and Hawley should have no trouble with their games. Don't know about Hawleys health overall but Stamford has 4 of the 6 kids they lost earlier back playing and making an impact.

Don't know what changed with Post but believe they also advance.

McCamey is historically a tough team and believe Anson will head to the basketball court. I think maybe the pressure put on their sophomore kids may have finally taken its toll.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:32 am

oldtimer wrote:
HawleyRocks wrote:Barring any unforeseen injuries to key individuals...

I don't know much about this district you guys are playing but is McCamey good ?
I was surprised by the domination Post unleashed on Anson .... was that the beginning of the end for Anson ?

I agree all other 3 teams roll in this one !!!

I am not sure what's going on with Anson.... Yes, they have a young quarterback and yes he tries to do a lot at times and was certainly trying to keep them going in the right direction during the time that their main running back was hurt, but their running back has returned now and played in the last two games... That is why I picked them against Post, but I thought their defense would play better and they certainly did not as Post ran all over them... I'm not sure about McCamey, but they are 9 and 1.... They seem to pass the ball a lot and look to average around 200 plus yards per game. I know that there are teams on their schedule that were weak, but they seemed to blow out just about everyone that they played. If Anson cannot play better defense on Saturday they could be head for trouble... The other thing that I must say and caution in just assuming McCamey will run all over Anson is this... Anson is coming out of a lot tougher district and could be more battle tested... I guess we shall see on Saturday....

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:16 am

Well, it's finally game day... Good luck and safe travels to all.... Go District 4, we have three games tonight and one tomorrow....

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:31 am

Hawley - 52
Christoval - 0

Post - 39
Ozona - 19

Stamford - 69
Anthony - 14

Nice Job District 4...

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:56 am

Stamford demolishes Anthony

Posted: Nov 18, 2017

The Bulldogs win 69-14 to move on to the second round of the playoffs.

http://www.ktxs.com/sports/stamford-dem ... /658302588

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:57 am

Hawley shuts out Christoval

Posted: Nov 18, 2017

The Bearcats win 52-0 to advance to the area round of the playoffs.

http://www.ktxs.com/news/hawley-shuts-o ... /658302623

bluedawg

Postby bluedawg » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:55 am

Congrats to Dist 4 for a very successful Friday nite. Stamford will play the the winner between West Tx(second in Dist 1) and Sundown(third in Dist 2). Looks like Hawley and Post will play the winners of Dist1 and Dist 2.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Hawley dominates Christoval in 52-0 bi-district shutout

Mike Lee, Special to the Reporter-News
Nov. 18, 2017

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 877188001/

BANGS - Every time the Christoval Cougars had Hawley in a long-yardage situation Friday night, the Bearcats scored a touchdown. Or so it seemed.

Hawley blanked the Christoval Cougars 52-0 Friday night in a Region I-2A Division I bi-district football game as quarterback Quay Stokes passed for 195 yards and four touchdowns. Colton Marshall rushed for 241 yards and a touchdown on just 11 carries.

The Bearcats scored touchdowns on a fourth-and-17, a fourth-and-15, a first-and-25, and a second-and-12. Stokes threw scoring passes of 28 yards to Michael DeLaGarza, and 35 and 32 yards to Ethan Davis to convert three of the long-yardage situations.

“We realized we were in passing situations. The line did a good job of keeping the pocket for me, and the receivers did a good job of making plays down the field,” said Stokes, who finished 11-of-19 passing.

It was an all-too-familiar view from the other sideline for Christoval coach Casey Otho, whose Cougars fell to Stokes and Hawley 29-20 in last year’s bidistrict round.

“Yeah, he’s pretty good,” Otho said of Stokes. “I’m glad he’s finally graduating. They’ve got a good team. They came within 12 seconds of beating Stamford and winning their district.”

Besides Stokes’s passes, Hawley also scored on a second-and-10 from its own 20-yard line on Marshall’s 80-yard run.

Stokes, a four-year starter for Hawley, finished the night with 115 career passing touchdowns — one short of tying former Jim Ned quarterback Colt McCoy’s Big Country record of 116 career TDs.

David Fava rushed for 92 yards on 22 carries to lead Christoval’s offense. Fava broke a 38-yard run to the Hawley 3 late in the first half. From there, he and Wilcox each carried twice, but were denied a single yard as the Bearcats preserved their shutout.

Player of the game: Colton Marshall, RB, Hawley — Had a monster game on the ground, averaging almost 22 yards per carry, including an 80-yard TD and a 77-yard run on which he didn’t score.

Key stat(s): The Bearcats averaged 12.8 yards per rush and finished with 552 total yards.

Up next: Hawley (8-3) advances to play Stratford (10-1) in next week’s area-round game scheduled for Friday at Lubbock Cooper High School. Game time was still pending late Friday night. Christoval finished its season 4-7.

Coach said: “First of all, it eats at you that we were in those long-yardage situations because we don’t want to be," Hawley coach Mitch Ables said. "Our kids made plays. That’s just how it worked out tonight.”

This article is actually wrong in their facts... Quay Stokes threw 5 touchdowns last night giving him a total of 117 Passing touchdowns to date... Colt McCoy had 116 in his high school career... Matthew Stafford had 94... Patrick Mahomes had 96... Stephen McGee had 101... As of right now, Quay is tied for #14th in the State of Texas for passing touchdowns all time...

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Last edited by HawleyRocks on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluedawg

Postby bluedawg » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Stamford will play Sundown Friday at 3
Go Blue

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 am

bluedawg wrote:Stamford will play Sundown Friday at 3
Go Blue

Where ???

BOLDGOLD

Postby BOLDGOLD » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:16 am

Go Blue

Libbocks Lowrey Field @ 4

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:35 am

Stamford Bulldogs (9-2) vs. Sundown Roughnecks (10-1) - Friday @ 3 pm - Lubbock's Lowery Field - Stamford is the visiting Team.

Post Antelopes (8-3) vs. New Deal Lions (10-1) - Friday @ 4 pm - Littlefield - Post is the Home Team.

Hawley Bearcats (8-3) vs. Stratford Elks (10-1) - Friday @ 5 pm - Lubbock Cooper
Last edited by HawleyRocks on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:37 am

BOLDGOLD wrote:
Go Blue

Thanks I had just found it on Stamford's website, but they have 3 pm... ????

BOLDGOLD

Postby BOLDGOLD » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:54 am

HawleyRocks wrote:
BOLDGOLD wrote:
Go Blue

Not sure, i got it from the 806HSS Page

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 am

BOLDGOLD wrote:
HawleyRocks wrote:
BOLDGOLD wrote:Libbocks Lowrey Field @ 4

No worries... I'm sure Bluedawg will confirm it for us.... Thanks

bluedawg

Postby bluedawg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:54 am

HawleyRocks wrote:
BOLDGOLD wrote:
HawleyRocks wrote:

Coach Casey from Stamford posted this: Changed to 3 on Friday the 24 vs Sundown. We are the visitors.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 am

bluedawg wrote:
HawleyRocks wrote:
BOLDGOLD wrote:Not sure, i got it from the 806HSS Page

Coach Casey from Stamford posted this: Changed to 3 on Friday the 24 vs Sundown. We are the visitors.

Okay thanks...

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:05 pm

Anson falls to McCamey 49-0 in Region I-2A Division I bi-district playoff

Evan Ren, By Evan Ren
Nov. 19, 2017

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 878445001/

SAN ANGELO - Too many McCamey weapons and too many Anson mistakes resulted in a lopsided Region I-2A Division I bi-district pairing Saturday at San Angelo Stadium.

Taking advantage of three Anson turnovers, the Badgers raced out to a 35-0 halftime lead before coasting to a 49-0 win.

Carson Fuentes hit 10 of 12 passes for 141 yards and four touchdowns to lead McCamey (10-1), which now advances to face Panhandle (7-4) in the area round.

Anson, which was limited to 133 yards in total offense, finished the year at 5-6 with a roster carrying a dozen players who are juniors or sophomores.

"We've hit some high moments and low moments that our young players will grow from," coach Chris Hagler said. "I hate for the seniors to have to walk out this way, especially after playing a lot of games over the last two years.

"But the whole goal this year was to make the playoffs and they did to that."

McCamey got started early, scoring two first-quarter touchdowns, beginning with a 7-yard touchdown run by Angel McKee at the five-minute mark and a 37-yard pass from Fuentes to Devin Wolfe less than two minutes later, after an Anson fumble on the ensuing kickoff.

Fuentes added three more TD strikes to his tally in the second quarter — a 34-yard pass to Wolfe at 11:49, a 76-yard bubble screen to Nelson Bermudez at 4:46 and a 44-yarder to Trajan Johnson at 2:09.

By the time the smoke cleared, the Tigers were trailing 35-0, with three of McCamey's scores following Anson turnovers.

"McCamey is a solid bunch," Hagler said. "Those guys play with a lot of fire and you can tell it on film.

"I knew they'd come out hungry and coach (Fred) Staugh does a great job with those kids over there.

"They're hitting on all cylinders and I wouldn't be surprised to see them playing for a while."

McCamey closed the scoring with a pair of second-half touchdown runs from McKee, the first of which came from 5 yards with 9:10 left in the third quarter. The second came at the 10:50 mark of the fourth quarter from 16 yards out.

McKee finished with a game-high 153 yards rushing.

Return to “2A Texas Football”