Home of the toughest football in Texas
ima puncher

TIS THE SEASON..Crawford vs Refugio

Postby ima puncher » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:08 pm

1:OO pm Thursday, should be a dandy.

carmine14

Re: TIS THE SEASON..Crawford vs Refugio

Postby carmine14 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:06 pm

Have to go with bobcats. They had a bad game5 turnovers and still shut down centerville and put up 38. WOW.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:31 pm

Don't know much about either team, but I think this one is probably Refugio's game to lose... I would be concerned if I was the Refugio Coaching staff, with all the recent turnovers... I think I have my facts right from what I have read, but doesn't Refugio have 15 turnovers in the last two games... Now I think one of these games was in bad wet weather, but 15 turnovers in two games is unreal... I know I would certainly be concerned about ball protection...

I am certainly not going to totally discount Crawford that's for sure, I have not researched them and only know a little from what I have read, but this sounds like a very respectable and scrappy football team that is playing pretty well...

This should be a great football game, going to give the edge to Refugio, but they had better take care of the rock...
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey Henderson & Scott Akins Go Bearcats, Congratulations on 50 Years !!! **== **== **== **== **==

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:02 pm

Crawford is a very disciplined team, but Refugio is to much for the Pirates.
Defense wins Championships!

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:00 pm

HawleyRocks wrote:Don't know much about either team, but I think this one is probably Refugio's game to lose... I would be concerned if I was the Refugio Coaching staff, with all the recent turnovers... I think I have my facts right from what I have read, but doesn't Refugio have 15 turnovers in the last two games... Now I think one of these games was in bad wet weather, but 15 turnovers in two games is unreal... I know I would certainly be concerned about ball protection...

I am certainly not going to totally discount Crawford that's for sure, I have not researched them and only know a little from what I have read, but this sounds like a very respectable and scrappy football team that is playing pretty well...

This should be a great football game, going to give the edge to Refugio, but they had better take care of the rock...

I don't think we would have beaten Mason with 10 turnovers. Refugio only had 1 turnover against Mason, a fumble. So, 6 turnovers in the last 2 games. I don't know if you heard Coach Herring's comments after the game, but he was saying they had not had any fumbles all season on the center to QB exchange, but with the bad weather the last few weeks, the had some. He was talking about how nice it will be playing in an indoor stadium, dry and 72 degrees. It's been tough weather the last two weeks, rainy and cold against Mason, and just really cold against Centerville.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:14 pm

MrBob wrote:
HawleyRocks wrote:Don't know much about either team, but I think this one is probably Refugio's game to lose... I would be concerned if I was the Refugio Coaching staff, with all the recent turnovers... I think I have my facts right from what I have read, but doesn't Refugio have 15 turnovers in the last two games... Now I think one of these games was in bad wet weather, but 15 turnovers in two games is unreal... I know I would certainly be concerned about ball protection...

I don't think we would have beaten Mason with 10 turnovers. Refugio only had 1 turnover against Mason, a fumble. So, 6 turnovers in the last 2 games. I don't know if you heard Coach Herring's comments after the game, but he was saying they had not had any fumbles all season on the center to QB exchange, but with the bad weather the last few weeks, the had some. He was talking about how nice it will be playing in an indoor stadium, dry and 72 degrees. It's been tough weather the last two weeks, rainy and cold against Mason, and just really cold against Centerville.

Sorry, missed a game... So it was 16 turnovers in 3 games... Statement still holds...
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey Henderson & Scott Akins Go Bearcats, Congratulations on 50 Years !!! **== **== **== **== **==

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:43 pm

It was actually 9 turnovers in 3 games. Refugio had 10 fumbles in the monsoon that was the Ben Bolt game but only lost 3 of them.

Also can any Refugio poster's shed a light on why Robert Frazier is no longer playing?

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:44 pm

Also, were the turnovers takeaways such a stripping the ball, INT's or strictly weather related???

Obviously, there won't be any weather issues in Jerry World, so if these were strictly that, then that minor hole on the Refugio armor is gone and Crawford will have to find some other form of kryptonite...

I still say that this is Refugio's game to lose, there is going to have to be a lot of things go wrong for them and right for Crawford, but that is why you have to play the game... And I will be there to see it, Good Lord willing... I am looking forward to seeing what I hope is a good competitive game with both great programs fighting until the end...

I also want to wish both schools the very best of luck...

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:37 am

Robert Frazier is off the team was kicked off before Shiner's game.

GO BIG C !

ganado

Postby ganado » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:45 pm

It is Refugio's game to lose but make no mistake, 5 turnovers against Crawford and the Bobcats will be going home with a silver trophy.

If I was Herring I would have all skill position players carry around a football all day long. If someone knocked the ball loose there would be some type of consequence.

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:06 pm

It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:50 pm

Good stuff there Mr. Bob.

Here's something, often overlooked, that I feel will play a big part in this game. That being the kicking game. In the two films on Crawford that I have seen I have noticed that neither of the two kickers they've used for kickoffs have a really strong foot. Typical kickoffs are landing around the 20-25 yard line -not counting the return yards. Refugio, on the other hand, has a little guy with a big foot. Since the opening weeks I have been extremely pleased to see our kicker consistently reaching the end zone area. Perhaps I may be wrong, and if I am, maybe a Crawford poster can provide some insight on whether this accurate or not. But, if Refugio is fielding kicks around the 25 and then tacking on 5 or more yards- that field position could prove to be a difference maker. Both teams feature strong running games and sound defenses. Against either defense driving an 80 yard field versus 60-65 yard field is significant over the course of a game.

Let's go Bobcats!

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:13 pm

One of the thing that concerns me is Refugio's inability to separate themselves from the other team in State Championship games. In state games, Refugio tied Iowa Park in 1970, 7 - 7, and the two teams were declared co-champions. In 1982, Refugio beat Littlefield 22-21, and in 2011, Refugio beat Cisco 36-35. It makes for a very stressful game and if Refugio is not able to get some separation from Crawford, anything can happen late.

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:28 pm

For what it's worth, (not much), CalPreps has the game at 31-26, Refugio.

JWats44

Postby JWats44 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:46 pm

I hope Crawford has the horsepower and will to make this a game. Not very often do you see Teams at the 2A level with that many players committed to play at the next level. With that being the fact Refugio will win this one 45-14.. Good luck!

uncle

Postby uncle » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:09 pm

I've watched the Cisco vs Refugio clashes over the years, great ballgames. Crawfords team is very similar too Cisco's
Won't be the cakewalk Refugio is expecting

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:43 pm

2A Division I State Championship
Crawford (14-1) vs. Refugio (14-1)
1 p.m. Thursday, December 15

Matt Stepp's Breakdown

In what should be one of the most physical state title games of the weekend, once-beaten Crawford hooks up with Refugio who only has a single loss to 4A semifinalist Geronimo Navarro.

Crawford ripped past upstart Abernathy 42-7 using a big playoff offense instead of their powerful and methodical ground game. WR Jeff Ward proved to be the difference as he returned a kickoff for a touchdown. He hauled in a 61-yard touchdown pass, then he had a 65-yard run, which set up his short seven-yard run to all but put the game away for the Pirates. QB Gage Pearson, who normally ends up handing the ball off, actually tossed three scoring passes in the win.

The Pirates defense will have a big challenge with Refugio, who went back to the future last week in a 38-14 win over Centerville. After abandoning the spread for a more methodical ground-based offense in the offseason, Refugio decided to go back to the air and threw for 260 yards and four touchdowns in the win. Trent Ross and D’Mond LaFond were on the receiving end of those four scoring passes, but one concern is turnovers. The Bobcats turned it over five times last week, and in two of their last three games, they’ve had issues with turnovers.

If the Bobcats continue that trend of carelessness, Crawford wins this game, but I anticipate a renewed focus from Refugio as they’ll look to erase the bad taste of last year’s state title loss to Canadian. If Refugio hangs on to the ball, they have the playmakers and defense to bring a state title back to the Costal Bend.

Mike Craven's Players to Watch

Refugio RB Jaylon Mascorro
Mascorro was once a prolific quarterback leading Refugio in a state title game. Now, the senior is the focal point of a revamped rushing attack. It is unclear where the three-star recruit will play in college, but he’s big and athletic enough to play multiple positions on offense and defense.

Crawford WR Jeff Ward
Crawford is known for grinding out opponents, but wide receiver Jeff Ward is more than capable of making big plays. He scored three touchdowns in last week’s win.

Refugio LB Kobie Herring
The UTEP commit is the leader of a hard-nosed Refugio defense. At 6-foot and 220 pounds, Herring is big enough to take on most offensive linemen at the 2A level. He’s also athletic enough to chase down plays to the outside and play against the pass.

Crawford RB Dillon Daniel
The bruising nature of Crawford’s style lends itself to Dillon Daniel. He’s a tough runner with a nose for the end zone and he’s rarely pushed backwards.

Refugio DL Trace Mascorro
Also a UTEP commit, Trace Mascorro is one of the playmakers for Refugio’s defensive line. He’s a bully against the run and surprisingly athletic when he’s allowed to rush the passer. Mascorro does a good job of occupying blocks to unselfishly allow linebackers and safeties to make plays.

Crawford QB Gage Pearson
Crawford doesn’t ask the quarterback to light up the box score. Pearson’s ability with his legs and arm make the Crawford offense hard to defend.

http://www.texasfootball.com/state/#2ADIState

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:44 pm

Dave Campbell's Prediction:
Attachments
Crawford - Refugio Prediction.jpg
Crawford - Refugio Prediction.jpg (126.61 KiB) Viewed 1541 times

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:46 pm

Watching the 2011 Refugio/Cisco State Championship game on Fox Sports SW. Maybe that's a good omen for Refugio tomorrow against Crawford.

TolarMVP2009

Postby TolarMVP2009 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:19 pm

My problem with this game is that I've seen Crawford 2 different times against 2 very different teams and have yet to see much of Refugio. Crawford played against Tolar at the beginning of the season, and I honestly wasn't too impressed. I was surprised to see Crawford go unbeaten and make it to state from that point, and seeing them against De Leon make me realize why. Crawford is very disciplined, and they have strong, consistent players on both sides of the ball. They stopped an outstanding team in De Leon, completely killed their pass game. What killed them against Tolar wasn't their lack of Discipline, it was that Tolar had an outstanding player that made big plays. Granted, a rematch would've been close in my opinion, but Crawford not being able to contain him makes me think Refugio will do the same to some extent. I'd like to have a Crawford win here, but I find it to be hard pressed. Refugio 14+

*** Do note, I believe Crawford has gotten MUCH better as the season progressed. I don't want anyone to think I'm belittling Crawford here, they will give Refugio a great fight for that Title.***

khw1980

Postby khw1980 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:06 pm

JWats44 wrote:... Not very often do you see Teams at the 2A level with that many players committed to play at the next level. ...

I think you meant "Team" ...

khw1980

Postby khw1980 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:08 pm

Does anyone know if Fox Sports Southwest will be live streaming this game, like they are with 6-man game?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:14 pm

khw1980 wrote:Does anyone know if Fox Sports Southwest will be live streaming this game, like they are with 6-man game?

Fox Sports Southwest will broadcast all the state title in different capacities. The six-man games will be streaming on FoxSportsSouthwest.com. All other games will be shown on Fox Sports Southwest, FSSW Plus or the Fox Sports GO app.
Per the UIL, the 5A Division II game between Aledo and Calallan on Friday, Dec. 18 at 8:00 p.m. will be carried on FOX Sports Southwest Plus due to overlap with the Dallas Mavericks-Utah Jazz NBA game on FOX Sports Southwest.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:09 am

Preview: UIL Texas state football championships

Video: Xcellent 25 Football Rankings presented by the Army National Guard - Dec. 12
Several Texas teams playing in the UIL state championship dot this week's Xcellent 25 rankings.

The 24 Texas high school football teams that emerged from weeks of playoff elimination games have reached their destination: AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

The road began for these 24 and hundreds of others in the heat of August.

The UIL will crown 12 state champions over a four-day stretch beginning Wednesday.

Schools are divided into six classifications based on enrollment. In an effort to further level the playing field, each classification is divided into two divisions.

The four-day extravaganza begins with six-man football on Wednesday and concludes on Saturday with the largest classification, 6A.

Here's a look at the match-ups:

Class 2A-DI: Crawford 14-1 vs. Refugio 14-1, 1 p.m.
Players to watch: Crawford wide receiver Jeff Ward scored three touchdowns in last week's semifinal victory; linebacker Lucas Steinkamp leads a stingy defense that allows 11.9 points per game. ... Refugio linebackerKobie Herring averaged 13 tackles on the way to Class 2A defensive player of the year honors; Jaylon Mascorro shifted from QB to RB this season, but still gets a chance to pass on occasion.
Trends: Crawford's motto is "Small town, big dreams.'' Since losing its opener, the Pirates' dreams have gotten bigger with each of its 14 wins. ... Refugio is playing in its fourth state final in the last six years. Its last two appearances in 2013 and again last year, were unsuccessful.
History: Crawford's last state title came in 2004. Refugio last wore the crown in 2011.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/PKSqPn2LCk ... nships.htm

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:46 am

PPrep has Refugio +14
Padilla has Refugio +6
Harris has Refugio +13

Personally, I think Padilla is closest. A couple of mistakes by either team will cause a big swing against the mistake as both teams have the capability to capitalize on any advantage.
The game should be Refugio's to win or lose, but you can NEVER count out Crawford until the final whistle blows.
Go Pirates!!

khw1980

Postby khw1980 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:40 am

Windthorstfan wrote:
khw1980 wrote:Does anyone know if Fox Sports Southwest will be live streaming this game, like they are with 6-man game?

Fox Sports Southwest will broadcast all the state title in different capacities. The six-man games will be streaming on FoxSportsSouthwest.com. All other games will be shown on Fox Sports Southwest, FSSW Plus or the Fox Sports GO app.
Per the UIL, the 5A Division II game between Aledo and Calallan on Friday, Dec. 18 at 8:00 p.m. will be carried on FOX Sports Southwest Plus due to overlap with the Dallas Mavericks-Utah Jazz NBA game on FOX Sports Southwest.

Thank you. Unfortunately few markets outside of Texas carry Fox Sports Southwest. In previous years other networks were used that had more of a national presence. My only option would have been to be there in person.

khw1980

Postby khw1980 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:43 am

Is there a web audio broadcast?

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:33 am

khw1980

Postby khw1980 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Thanks tlb!

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:03 pm

Crawford verses Refugio in 39 minutes....

Will Crawford surprise us all???

Can Refugio's armor be penatrated ???

We shall see... Any last thoughts????

ganado

Postby ganado » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:10 pm

watching online at foxsportsgo

khw1980

Postby khw1980 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:13 pm

HawleyRocks wrote:... Any last thoughts????

Yes ... win or lose, Crawford will keep this the same: "“The people in our community, more than anything they want us to do things the right way,” Kelm said. “They want to make sure we’re helping turn these kids into good people for the long run. I’m fortunate to be in a community where that’s always been the most important thing.”

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/high_sch ... 77919.html

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:19 pm

Amen Brother, I totally agree... Sounds like a program we can all aspire to be like.....

nextblast

Postby nextblast » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:27 pm

Classy town vs NO CLASS TOWN???

'No class town' wins. Herring is the best recruiter, Lafond!!!

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:27 pm

khw1980 wrote:Is there a web audio broadcast?

Shooter FM 92.9 is broadcasting also. Seems to be a clearer connection
http://tunein.com/radio/Shooter-FM-929-s33846/

ganado

Postby ganado » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:34 pm

nextblast wrote:Classy town vs NO CLASS TOWN???

'No class town' wins. Herring is the best recruiter, Lafond!!!

I do think Refugio could use a lesson in class but Lafond was originally from Refugio.

khw1980

Postby khw1980 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:35 pm

tlbredemeyer wrote:
khw1980 wrote:Is there a web audio broadcast?

Shooter FM 92.9 is broadcasting also. Seems to be a clearer connection
http://tunein.com/radio/Shooter-FM-929-s33846/

Much better!

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:41 pm

And here we gooooooo..... Good luck to both schools!!!!!

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Refugio fumbles but recovers but turns it over on downs

ganado

Postby ganado » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Refugio doesn't practice ball security.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Refugio holds, Crawford turns it over on downs had had to punt

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:51 pm

ganado wrote:Refugio doesn't practice ball security.

He was carrying the ball like a loaf of bread out away from his body and just dropped it....

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:59 pm

Refugio scores on long pass... 6 to 0...Refugio gets unsportsmanlike penalty after the score....

nextblast

Postby nextblast » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Just watch the coach speech before game? He beggin them to keep mouth in check. No coach this weekend but Refugio has to ask this!!!!

nextblast

Postby nextblast » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Wow, turds show up, shocking

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:07 pm

6 to 0 Refugio at end of 1st

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:24 pm

Crawford holds, Refugio punts

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:32 pm

Crawford drives the length of the field and scores but missed the extra point.... 6 to 6....1:40 left in first half.....

ganado

Postby ganado » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:32 pm

Refugio has to much talent but not enough discipline on their assignments. wow dropped extra point.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:35 pm

Long run back after the kick sets Refugio up with a short field

Return to “2A Texas Football”