2016 SEMIFINALS: Centerville-vs-Refugio.

Home of the toughest football in Texas

who gonna WIN and ADVANCE to the State Championships ??

Tigers
7%
Bobcats
93%

Total votes: 29

Bearcat77

2016 SEMIFINALS: Centerville-vs-Refugio.

Postby Bearcat77 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:57 am

CLASS 2A DIVISON I SEMIFINALS

Region III (11-3) Centerville-vs-Refugio (13-1) Region IV

MrBob

Re: 2016 SEMIFINALS: Centerville-vs-Refugio.

Postby MrBob » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:12 am

The game is back at Rattler Stadium in San Marcos at 6 PM, Friday.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

LLion22

Postby LLion22 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Why 6? Seems a lot of fans may be hard pressed to get there by game time if they're not able to take off from work early. Don't see how the hour and a half earlier kick off does anything to help the kids, but could prevent some fans and parents from seeing their team and/or kid play ball.

PurplePunch
Donating Member 17/18

Postby PurplePunch » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:22 pm

It's the long drive back. Two/three hour drives that start at 9 are better than those that start at 10:30. Plus, it's small town football, semifinals style. Everybody probably takes off after lunch anyway.

And, on a very sober note, what happened to Iraan last night is on everyone's mind and in their prayers.

ManInBlack

Postby ManInBlack » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:07 pm

Absolutely Punch, truly heartbreaking.

In regards to the game, my nephew's son helps the team and he said that Refugio didn't make it home until after 2AM last night.

Congrats to the Punchers on a great season...y'all have a tremendous program.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:23 pm

I know this will be a Semifinals game ,but Refugio will make it look like a preseason game for the Bobcats as they will destroy Centerville by 40 points on their way to the Jerrys world ! Bobcats will be ready and win this one easily and continue to show how strong their defense is and linemen by their dominating performance against the tigers on their way to state ! Good luck to both teams and stay injury free !

GO BIG C !

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:45 pm

I thought the San Marcos stadium was an awesome playing venue. I'll be glad to be back there, as the home team again. The 6 o'clock kickoff time should help return time, considering it took me a LONG time to get out of that parking lot afterwards.

From what I have seen on film, the tigers have some good size on their lines and three capable athletes in the backfield. Centerville QB doesn't throw much but appears to be a very heady kid. When you reach the final four every team is a contender. Refugio defense appears to be peaking right about now. The last two (2000 yard) rushers we have faced have combined for less than 75 yards rushing!

Congrats to Mason on a good season. Based on their roster I would expect them to be in the mix for the region again next year. And a big Congrats to Navarro as well. I always support Cuero, but this Navarro win speaks a little to the strength of Refugio's defense. 15 games into the season and we are still the only team to hold Navarro under 30.

Go Bobcats!

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Tiger====0..No votes.
Bobcats=18....100%..
Total votes: 18

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:04 pm

Refugio by as many as they want

ComancheAlumni06
Donating Member 18/19

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:25 pm

BIG C FAN wrote:I know this will be a Semifinals game ,but Refugio will make it look like a preseason game for the Bobcats as they will destroy Centerville by 40 points on their way to the Jerrys world ! Bobcats will be ready and win this one easily and continue to show how strong their defense is and linemen by their dominating performance against the tigers on their way to state ! Good luck to both teams and stay injury free !

GO BIG C !

I'm with ya on that prediction. Bobcats will dominate.

davidjr3003

Postby davidjr3003 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:07 pm

I guess Centerville should just crawl in a hole and not even show up LOL. Anybody can be beaten on any given night. Refugio has a good squad, can't and won't dispute that. However this will be one of the more physical teams Refugio has played all season. The Tigers won't pack it in, they'll show up and fight for four quarters and then some more if necessary. These kids play with a ton of heart and have some decent size to go with it. People just might be counting their chickens before theyre hatched, guess we'll find out Friday night. Praying for a healthy game for both teams and safe travels for all fans and parents that are making the drive!

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:07 pm

davidjr3003 wrote:I guess Centerville should just crawl in a hole and not even show up LOL. Anybody can be beaten on any given night. Refugio has a good squad, can't and won't dispute that. However this will be one of the more physical teams Refugio has played all season. The Tigers won't pack it in, they'll show up and fight for four quarters and then some more if necessary. These kids play with a ton of heart and have some decent size to go with it. People just might be counting their chickens before theyre hatched, guess we'll find out Friday night. Praying for a healthy game for both teams and safe travels for all fans and parents that are making the drive!

Centerville will probably be the third or fourth most physical team Refugio has played this year, behind Geronimo Navarro, who is still playing in 4A Div 2, Mason, and possibly Shiner. I know Centerville is big, but they are not bigger than Refugio, and no where near as athletic and fast. Centerville is a good team, no doubt, and they could win this game. I'm not saying they can't. I think they will need to play their best game of the year, get multiple turnovers, and Refugio would have to play a bad game. Hoping for an injury free game. By the way davidjr 3003, welcome aboard. Good Luck.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:35 pm

All I will say is good luck to Centerville ,I know how you feel with know one giving them a chance in this match up ,but you will see real quick once the game starts how good they are! I will say this also Refugio can have a bad game and they will still win ! Sorry to have to put it this way and hope I don't step on anyone's toes in this post !Just stating how I see it going! Good luck and prove me wrong!

GO BIG C !

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Forecast calling for no rain, low of 36! Clear and cold = December football! Let's Go Bobcats

jackandjoe

Postby jackandjoe » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:41 pm

"davidjr3003 wrote:
I guess Centerville should just crawl in a hole and not even show up LOL. Anybody can be beaten on any given night. Refugio has a good squad, can't and won't dispute that. However this will be one of the more physical teams Refugio has played all season. The Tigers won't pack it in, they'll show up and fight for four quarters and then some more if necessary. These kids play with a ton of heart and have some decent size to go with it. People just might be counting their chickens before theyre hatched, guess we'll find out Friday night. Praying for a healthy game for both teams and safe travels for all fans and parents that are making the drive!

If you play in the district that Refugio plays in, let me assure that the game being "physical" will be nothing new. Almost EVERYONE in that district is a physical football team that plays run heavy offense and fly around defense. Don't be surprised when Refugio is the most talented and physical team that Centerville has seen all year.

davidjr3003

Postby davidjr3003 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:27 pm

I'm not saying by any means that Refugio won't play physical I'm just saying its different with us than alot of people expect. Smash mouth downhill football is just something teams from Centerville have always prided themselves on. We've got pretty good size this ur with some good speed to go with it. Alot of these young players we have are finally starting to peak. Secondary continues to improve along with the defense each week. I might be the only person in Texas that thinks we can pull it off but I just love the heart that these kids play with. I told people five rounds before the season started and got some crazy looks lol but here we are matched up against a great program in Refugio. The one thing I noticed last year at state was the mental errors, have them kids become more disciplined this year?

davidjr3003

Postby davidjr3003 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:35 pm

MrBob wrote:
davidjr3003 wrote:I guess Centerville should just crawl in a hole and not even show up LOL. Anybody can be beaten on any given night. Refugio has a good squad, can't and won't dispute that. However this will be one of the more physical teams Refugio has played all season. The Tigers won't pack it in, they'll show up and fight for four quarters and then some more if necessary. These kids play with a ton of heart and have some decent size to go with it. People just might be counting their chickens before theyre hatched, guess we'll find out Friday night. Praying for a healthy game for both teams and safe travels for all fans and parents that are making the drive!

Centerville will probably be the third or fourth most physical team Refugio has played this year, behind Geronimo Navarro, who is still playing in 4A Div 2, Mason, and possibly Shiner. I know Centerville is big, but they are not bigger than Refugio, and no where near as athletic and fast. Centerville is a good team, no doubt, and they could win this game. I'm not saying they can't. I think they will need to play their best game of the year, get multiple turnovers, and Refugio would have to play a bad game. Hoping for an injury free game. By the way davidjr 3003, welcome aboard. Good Luck.

Glad to be here!!. Yeah we definitely cannot turn the ball over this week. It will get ugly if we do. It would most certainly be an upset if we did win according to all the Dave Campbell people and 99% of the highschool football world. I just say never say never, I think we'll be able to grind out some good drives on offense, slowing y'all down will be the tell tell though. If we can force some punting situations I think we'll have a Chance late

carmine14

Postby carmine14 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:44 pm

yea these guys this year have cleaned all that mess up. this years team would probably be big favorites to win against last years team, just my opinion from watching and how really great this team is

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:39 pm

Refugio is running a different offense this year than last year. Last year Refugio was in the spread, which is so dependent on the QB. In the Championship game, last year, Refugio's QB did not have a very good game. Much of that was because of Canadian's defense. This year the QB, 6'3" 230#, moved to RB and Refugio is pounding the ball. Refugio's OL is awesome, big, quick, and physical, several who have started for 4 years. This offense is not as dependent on the QB,even though I like the way our QB plays. He's an adequate passer, good tough runner, and good ball handler. He just does not have the pressure on him that a spread QB does. We just give it to #2 and move the ball down the field. We can throw it, but we really haven't had to. Good luck to both teams this week. Praying for an injury free game and accident free trip for each fan, player, and student to and from the game.

davidjr3003

Postby davidjr3003 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:20 pm

That's what I was sitting there thinking last Year at the state championship. As big as yalls offensive line is I couldn't believe y'all didn't run more. I'm sure it is very effective though with jaylon behind that big line. Gonna have to be disciplined tacklers on our end and definitely plug gaps. We played alto round 1 and the thacker kid was as big of nor bigger than Jaylon, first half he got every yard he wanted second half we played better d and shut him down. Difference between alto and y'all is the oline, it's definitely going to be a challenge. Our boys will show up for sure and I really do have a feeling this game will surprise people. Also glad to here yalls kids cleaned the discipline/mental mistakes up. Too talented of a ball club to be shooting yourselves in the foot like that

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:18 pm

Refugio ran more throughout the season last year, probably around 50/50, than they did in the championship game. If you recall, the game was pretty close until about 3 minutes before the half. Canadian scored 21 points in that final 3 minutes and really took Refugio out of their game plan. They came out of the halftime intermission chunking the ball on almost every play, trying to get back in the game, but it did not work. I'm enjoying talking football with you. I could do it all day long. Good Luck.

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:03 am

I was watching the guys on Dave Campbell's Texas Football and they were saying that a loss in the semi-final round was worst than any other round. I had never really thought about it, but the last time Refugio lost in that round was to Lexington in 2010. And that one did really sting. We beat Schulenburg in the quarterfinals, and everyone was saying we were better than Lexington and we should easily beat them and advance to play Idalou in the State Championship. Well, we were not better than Lexington. They destroyed us and blew their damn cannon all game long. I think that game fueled the fire for the 2011 team that won the state championship against Cisco the next year. I think the reason a loss in this round is so hard is because the kids, coaches, parents, communities have worked so hard, for so long to achieve their goal of getting to the final game, and then to come up one game short is just tough to handle. Really hurts the seniors.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:56 am

Oh man, yeah that was a painful loss to Lexington. I don't think we could have handled Idalou, the eventual champ, that year either. What I remember most about that Lexington game was the amazing playing venue of the Berry Center in Cypress. To this day, it has to be one of the nicest high school football fields I've been to. I also thought the semi-final game in 2000 played at TX State University versus Mart was a hard one to get over. Refugio was up 21-0 before Quan Cosby, his twin brother, and the Panthers rallied back to win on a 2 point conversion 22-21!
I'm not sure any loss in the playoffs is harder (or easier) to swallow than others. But, I personally think losing in the State final is probably the most painful one.
Refugio has had their share of losing semi-final and state final games over the years, each of which have been driving factors for the following seasons.
This year's team is definitely motivated having been to the big game twice and come up short. Which, in my opinion, is another advantage Refugio has over the other three remaining teams:
1) Experience winning the semi-final game
2) Experience being in the state final game
3) Senior-heavy team with tons of varsity experience
4) Dominate size and athleticism on O-Line
5) Same for the D-Line
6) Ball control - pound the rock offense
7) Extremely fast, athletic, strong and tall receivers
8) Best and fastest defense in the state -my opinion
9) Fastest team remaining - my opinion
10) healthy roster

December Football - It's in our blood

ganado

Postby ganado » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:09 pm

Refugio by 28. They are the real deal.

carmine14

Postby carmine14 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:17 pm

I may be wrong because everybody at this level and the next should be elite, but I think Refugio may get to play their jv in the 4th qtr if they play their game. Now all stats wash away come 6 Friday, so we shall see. just hope everyone stays healthy that way who ever wins is full throttle for state game...

ComancheAlumni06
Donating Member 18/19

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:50 pm

Like I've said on the fox sports southwest app. Refugio will win by 35+

davidjr3003

Postby davidjr3003 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:03 pm

Definitely enjoy talking highschool football as well I could do it all day long as well. If Refugio really does like to control the clock then this could end up being a game that's fairly low scoring seeing as how that's the way our drives tend to go as well. Definitely a ball control team but have the ability to hit the homerun as well. The Madison kid we have is capable of having a monster game. Kid has loads of talent and he's really starting to realize how good he can be. We get him rolling and we're able to mix things up we may have some of y'all beginning to worry in the fourth quarter lol. Gonna be a great game, Tigers have a realistic chance to shock the state Friday night. I guarantee you they'll be ready. Refugio will be everything as advertised. Our kids just need to show up and play with the heart they play with every night. How far of a drive y'all looking at from Refugio to San Marcos??

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:44 pm

Is the game going to be on the radio ,and if so what station ?

GO BIG C !

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:00 pm

Kicker 106 out of Beeville

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:35 pm

Thanks , Harris has Refugio picked by 21 points !

GO BIG C !

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:35 pm

Tigers===2....7%.
Bobcats=26..93%.
Total votes: 28

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:41 pm

...so no UPSET here ? :-? ? [-x

PurplePunch
Donating Member 17/18

Postby PurplePunch » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:52 am

The Punchers having played the Bobcats last week, and having seen them on several films, I'll make a few observations.
The key is offensive and defensive line matchups. Can Centerville's interior line handle the N, #53? Can the uncovered interior linemen get out on the linebackers and tie them up? Can the tackles handle the very large d tackles? At least get a stalemate? Can the tight end/inside receivers handle the 9 tech OLBs? Can C'ville use a short passing attack and/or options to force the defense to play responsibilities? If they can simply attack your offense they will.
How good are your special teams? Mason couldn't advance kickoffs past the 20 on its first two possessions, so Refugio loaded the box and came hard. Forced a punt into the wind 1st possession that the Bobcats got on the Mason 39. They went for it on fourth and short a couple of times because field position allowed it, and scored. Second posessesion Same bad field position, Refugio brings 7/8 on first down, gets penetration, causes a fumble on the handoff, then drives 20 yards for a TD. Down 14 pts in mid-first quarter is not the situation a run-first team wants.
The first quarter is the key. If the Tigers can withstand the onslaught and come out even, and make it a second half game, they have a chance. But Refugio has been pointing to this year for a reason.
Good luck, and may the better team win.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:48 am

Hopefully I'm attaching this link correctly. If not, it's in today's Victoria Advocate. Great picture of the Refugio lineman, which includes four seniors, two juniors and a sophomore.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/20 ... r-refugio/

Almost game day! Go Cats Go!

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Bearcat77 wrote:...so no UPSET here ? :-? ? [-x

Never say never is the old saying , however a Refugio loss would be one of the biggest upsets in quite some time (IMO).
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

davidjr3003

Postby davidjr3003 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:51 pm

I'm probably the only one that truly believes it but I really believe the Tigers can pull this off. The boys are focused and ready to go, they respect they're opponent. They are aware that Refugio has talented kids but they are not intimidated. Really gonna have some surprised folks when the tigers are still in it late in the fourth quarter. Every parent and fan traveling from Refugio to the game be safe I know that's gonna be a drive. Also wanna wish for a safe and injury free game for not only our boys but all the bobcat players as well!! Come on Friday night!!!

JWats44

Postby JWats44 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:20 pm

I would be very impressed if Centerville could make a game out of it. It is funny to see Refugio emulating Mason's philosophy with the newly formed ground and pound offense. It is also nice to see that Refugio has multiple key players going both ways that also emulates most teams at the 2A level. I would be very suprised if Centerville could make a game out of it as Mason had no first downs in the first half of play. Does not sound like much until you realize that has probrably never happened before in the past for the Punchers and they have been running a pretty respectful program for a long, long time. Still not really impressed with the Refugio players and actions but at the end of the day they are more than likely emulating their Hero's on TV. Good luck to Centerville!

carmine14

Postby carmine14 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:54 pm

take the mart score and add 21 more points to marts score. that's what I think we will see refugio do to them

ManInBlack

Postby ManInBlack » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Refugio doesn't score points in bunches like they used to. Not saying that's a bad thing, just a change in philosophy this year. With 2 running teams that will chew up the clock on the ground, I don't know that either could approach the numbers of the high-flying offenses

retchbh

Postby retchbh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:47 pm

Will this game be on line or on the radio?

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:16 pm

retchbh wrote:Will this game be on line or on the radio?

Radio: KTKO, 105.9 FM

Net:
http://www.optiradio.com/radio/KTKO

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:19 pm

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2 ... r-refugio/

State final berth on the line for Refugio
By Mike Forman,

REFUGIO-"Jamel LaFond's fumble recovery set up Refugio's second touchdown in its 28-7 Class 2A, Division I quarterfinal win over Mason.

But the junior defensive back directed most of the credit to the defensive line, which limited the Punchers to 28 rushing yards.

"It's wonderful," LaFond said. "I like how they fire off the ball and go through every offensive line that's in front of them."

The offensive and defensive lines have paved the way for the Bobcats (13-1) to advance into the semifinals against Centerville (11-3) at 6 p.m. Friday at Rattler Stadium in San Marcos.

"It's pretty good knowing we can put up three or four touchdowns," said senior lineman Trace Mascorro, "and our defense can hold and help us win the game."

Refugio fans realize that hasn't always been the case with the team's spread offense in years past.

The Bobcats compiled big offensive numbers, but also put their defense under a tremendous amount of stress.

Refugio head coach Jason Herring recognized the strength of this year's team was the front line on both sides of the ball and changed to an offense that focuses more on ball control.

"It has really helped our defense," Herring said. "In the spread, you turn it over or you're three and out and the defense is right back out there. In this, even if we go three and out the seconds are going and even with a lot of those guys going both ways our defense gets about 4 or 5 minutes to catch its breath. In the spread, it was just fast and furious."

The Bobcats have rushed for an average of over 300 yards per game with running backs Jaylon Mascorro and Ysidro Mascorro doing much of the damage behind a group that offensive line coach Drew Cox calls one of the best he's worked with in 33 years of coaching.

"They've got really good size, all of them are really strong, and they're all athletic," Cox said. "They all have offensive line mentalities. I don't have a problem with any of them. They're all really good kids. Winning means a whole lot to them, football means a whole lot to them and it's just a real special group."

The change in philosophies also meant a retooling in the line's preparation.

"It's a matter of where you spend your time," Cox said. "In 2011, all those times we were air raid, I would estimate we probably spent 70 percent on pass blocking and pass protection, getting kicks and mirror drills and getting separation and all that stuff you do with a spread passing team. Now, it's kind of reversed. I probably spend 70 to 80 percent of my time on pad level and run blocking."

The defensive front has also been better prepared to face running teams such as Shiner, Mason and Centerville, which runs out of a slot or wing-T.

"We obviously have the size and athleticism," said defensive line coach Darren Hunkapillar. "You can see that. But it's the work ethic - these guys show up to work every day - and the willingness to play for each other. We rep over and over and over again. It helps them to recognize the offenses we face and do whatever is necessary."

The linemen have enjoyed the transition and their role in the team's success.

"We do a lot more of the work this year since we have to pound the rock," said junior Trey Upton. "It's a different style of blocking that we enjoy. It's more physical. I think it's easier for us since we're a strong, physical line and we enjoy blowing people out and moving the ball."

Upton, Trace Mascorro, Kobie Herring, Armonie Brown, Ivan Tagle, Jackson Carroll and Ruben Gallegos may not show up in the stat sheet after the game, but they make it possible for those who do.

"When our offense is just pounding the rock, it just breaks the will of the other team," Hunkapillar said. "Then, we put our defense on the field and our defense has been really strong all year long. It's just kind of a finishing thing."

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:20 pm

CLASS 2A DIVISON I SEMIFINALS

Region III (11-3) Centerville-vs-Refugio (13-1) Region IV @ Rattler Stadium in San Marcos @ 6:00 PM, Friday.

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:41 am

carmine14

Postby carmine14 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:25 am

philosophy changed but scoring hasn't. Refugio averaged 43ppg last year and just shy of 50ppg this year.

davidjr3003

Postby davidjr3003 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:59 pm

Let's go Tigers ! Let's shock the state!! Game time! Wishing a healthy game to both sides!!

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:08 pm

I not been able to connect to the game is anyone else have the station its on

GO BIG C !

ima puncher

Postby ima puncher » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:35 pm

KMVL am Madionsville station I think, might be FM

ima puncher

Postby ima puncher » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:35 pm

Refugio 14-0 in 2 qtr.

davidjr3003

Postby davidjr3003 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:19 pm

My tigers have got to finish drives. We've had opportunities but have not capitalized of of the Refugio turnovers

Return to “2A Texas Football”