Mason v Refugio @ San Marcos HS

Home of the toughest football in Texas
PurplePunch
Donating Member 17/18

Mason v Refugio @ San Marcos HS

Postby PurplePunch » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:46 pm

One team is a heavy favorite in this matchup, and a clear favorite to win state. And that is fair - they've been pointing to this year since they dropped down to 2A. Although their immediate expectation of winning state every year has been thwarted for 2 years, this is a very talented senior team that is playing with maturity and discipline, based on what we've read and heard. All that said, what do serious fans think about this game?

I say serious fans because if I was really interested in "Bobcats by 50! Punchers suck!" I would have posted on Friday Football, where all the teenagers, loudmouth idiots, and punks reside. For the serious football fans, and especially those who have seen either or both teams, what is your take? We know Refugio's defense has been fierce all year, and it's laden with big, quick, fast, and talented players, including several DI commitments and offers. Can it be attacked? If so, how? People say the front 7 are impossible to run on so you have to pass on them, but the DBs were really good when we played them last year. Seems like a Hobson's Choice. Offensively the Bobcats are more ground-based this year, aren't scoring as much, but are really taking care of the ball well and eating clock.

The Punchers are a more typical 2A team - no DI prospects, fair size, fair quickness/speed, swarming defense, ground-based offense but can pass a little. It doesn't appear that many matchups favor the Punchers, but they do bring tenacity and toughness to the game. Is that enough to make a game of it?

Word was that Jaylon Mascorro hurt his shoulder last week, but it sounds like he's coming back this week. Mason's 6'3" 220# tight end is still out (for the 5th week) with a concussion from the Junction game, and it would be awfully nice to have him back to block this week, but otherwise the Punchers are at full strength. Compared to the area game last year, when 9 starters were out, that is pretty good.

The forecast doesn't include a chance of rain, so do the Puncher's have any chance? If so, what do you think it will take to upset the Bobcats?

Puncherfan

Re: Mason v Refugio @ San Marcos HS

Postby Puncherfan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:09 pm

I think Mason has the talent on the field to win a close game much like 2011 against Ganado . Refugio definitely has a juggernaut of a defense and Mason has a high scoring offense, I expect Mason will score 21. The Punchers defense will have to continue to swarm the ball and be perfect on every play, substitution is key here to keep the players fresh, if the defense is on the field too long like they were in the second half against Shiner this game could get ugly. I doubt that happens this game and a peaking at the right time Punchers defense holds Refugio to 16.
ONE MORE LINK

PurplePunch
Donating Member 17/18

Postby PurplePunch » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Rankings & Records per MaxPreps

Mason
National TX Section Div.
2,726 292 42 4
Overall District Home Away Neutral Win % District % PF PA
12-2 4-0 5-0 3-2 4-0 .857 1.000 581 (41.5) 201 (14.4)

Refugio
National TX Section Div.
1,632 182 26 2
Overall District Home Away Neutral Win % District % PF PA
12-1 5-0 6-1 4-0 2-0 .923 1.000 639 (45.6) 76 (5.4)

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Well here are my thoughts on the game, Two good teams playing for the Quarter finials but one being a lot better than most people realize! And Yes I have got too watch both teams this year and its been in the past few games !Anyway this is how I see it going both teams we see a good defense facing each other , but one in my opinion is one of the best I have seen in my forty years of watching High School Football at this level of play! And yes its the Bobcats that have impressed me this year with their Defense! Mason will have a hard time moving the ball on the ground and through the air which will lead to giving Refugio the ball most of the game ,And I think Refugio will struggle at first against Masons Defense but will wear them down as the game goes on !And I have been hearing that # 2 may not be at full strength which will not make that much difference in the game with the line Refugio has ,They will just have to be patience and let their line do what they do best. Now if Mason is without #22 they will be in real trouble because this kid will bring his A game to the Bobcats and give them some hope with his hard running he does! If Mason needs to pass they may be in for a long night ,cause the Tide end is their main target with good hands and Refugio will shut him down as the game goes on! And hears the other factor is Refugio can pass if they need to ,which # 3 will be their main target along with # 11 and 19 .I know this will be a game worth watching and the winner will be a sure favor to win it all! Hope to make it to San Marcus Friday and see the out come !Good luck to both teams this week !

GO BIG C !

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Mason hangs around for bit with their defense but not enough offense to pull upset. Refugio 31 Mason 10

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:15 pm

If Mason pulls this one off my hat certainly goes off to the coaching staff. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally the less talented team that is more disciplined and better coached wins a ball game. So if anybody can beat Refugio it's the Punchers.
Defense wins Championships!

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:23 pm

Eagle 1 wrote:If Mason pulls this one off my hat certainly goes off to the coaching staff. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally the less talented team that is more disciplined and better coached wins a ball game. So if anybody can beat Refugio it's the Punchers.

I agree but to Refugio s credit they have changed their approach and seems to be paying off. Solid defense and mash ya up front. He changed the system or added a very nice wrinkle if it was still air it out and just outscore I'd honestly like Masons chances and they still have a Punchers chance(fitting pun) but still have to score enough and the Bobcat D is stout this but you don't shut out shiner and not be able to play some

I believe it will be tight at half and Refugio wears them down late. I agree w ya 100℅ this is honesty the last team W a shot a beating them. To me they win this one they will cake walk rest of the way

Puncherfan

Postby Puncherfan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Eagle 1 wrote:If Mason pulls this one off my hat certainly goes off to the coaching staff. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally the less talented team that is more disciplined and better coached wins a ball game. So if anybody can beat Refugio it's the Punchers.

A good coach can take his team and beat yours and take.your your team and beat his
Bum Phillips
ONE MORE LINK

Tx6686

Postby Tx6686 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:32 pm

Refugio's defense is the real deal especially at stopping the run. I think the game will be close at half I'm going to say Refugio wins 32-7

ManInBlack

Postby ManInBlack » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:12 pm

I think this game is going to be a knockdown drag out, and I could see it going either way.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:43 pm

Picture For Refugio... :-bd
Attachments
Bobcats versus Punchers.jpg
Bobcats versus Punchers.jpg (124.41 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey Henderson & Scott Akins Go Bearcats, Congratulations on 50 Years !!! **== **== **== **== **==

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:44 pm

Picture For Mason... :-bd
Attachments
Punchers verses Bobcats.jpg
Punchers verses Bobcats.jpg (124.28 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey Henderson & Scott Akins Go Bearcats, Congratulations on 50 Years !!! **== **== **== **== **==

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Sure, Mason has a chance. They are a great team and a great program that plays good, hard-nosed, error-free football, and that is what they are going to have to play against Refugio. I'll say the same thing about Refugio this year. They need to also play the same kind of game against Mason. I don't know if Mason will be able to run the ball against Refugio. I know Geronimo Navarro could not, and Shiner could not, so we will see. Refugio held Shiner's Taylor to 14 carries for 49 yards, and Ben Bolt's Adams, a 2,000 yards rusher to 20 carries for 22 yards. I don't know if Refugio can run the ball against Mason. Refugio had trouble against Navarro, but they were able to run against Shiner pretty well. Navarro had so much depth, they would bring in a JUMBO package whenever Refugio was going for it on short yardage, and they stopped Refugio many times. I don't know if Mason has that package. Refugio can throw the ball pretty effectively, I don't know how well Mason can throw it. I know Mason killed Refugio with the pass in 2014, but Refugio was so focused on the run game that their DBs got caught trying to support the run, and Mason's receivers ran by them. I don't think that will happen this year. One of the things that I keep thinking about is this: Refugio will be the best team that Mason has played so far this year, but Mason will not be the best team that Refugio has played this year. I think that Navarro game has defined Refugio this year and given them a lot of confidence. To stand toe-to-toe with a top 4A program, says a lot about this team, and I believe they are playing better right now than they were then.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:54 am

I'm really looking forward to this game. Two weeks ago I went and watched Mason play Shiner so I have some familiarity with them. As I begin to break this game down I first look at games versus common opponents:

Mason 31 Junction 0 - This game was played in Mason -and I understand the Junction QB didn't play most of this game
Refugio starters 41 Junction 0 at the half- played at neutral site

Mason 34 Shiner 28 in OT - played at neutral site
Refugio 35 Shiner 0 - played in Shiner

In these two match-ups Refugio clearly outplayed their opponents.
Of course, those games are irrelevant in terms of how Mason & Refugio match-up with each other. I will also say that in the OT game versus Shiner, Mason dominated that game for all but 3 minutes of it. It wasn't until Shiner started throwing the ball and playing with tempo that they found a rhythm and scored 15 points in 3 minutes. But for the most part Mason ran the ball at will all night.

I was impressed with Mason's running game. They dominated Shiner, especially when they ran left behind #71. Mason has a good size line, but #71 is by far the best lineman and is a big boy. Their RB #22 is a tall, strong and tough back. He runs hard, uses his stiff arm well and keeps his legs moving. He will not go down easily. There are a couple of other backs that come in as well, including the freshman #41, who scored a TD against Shiner. Their QB is accurate and has a good arm. Occasionally, Mason would go to a trip receiver set and roll out the QB and his line gave him ample time to find an open teammate.
Defensively, Mason was led by their stud LB #33 along with the do-it-all senior #22. They have a hard-hitting defense that swarmed to the ball well.

On Refugio's side they are led by their offensive line. This is a very experienced group that is big and athletic. They are the reason we changed to a run-first team this year. #53 Trace Mascorro is one of the best lineman to ever wear the orange and black in my opinion. The receivers are tall and fast, including #3 Ortiz whom is probably the fastest Cat on the roster. The move to RB has been great for Jaylon, #2. And Refugio also has a freshman stud, #6 Ysidro Mascorro that will fill the starting RB spot nicely after this year.
I think it's important to clarify a misconception. I've read and heard people stating that our offense is not as good as it has been and we're not scoring as much as we used to. But, in reality we averaged 43 ppg last season, and this season we are just shy of 50 ppg.
Defensively, Refugio has a stout line, fast LB's and very athletic DB's. Again, #53 is our anchor on the line. #50 Kobie Herring is our leader at LB. And lurking in the secondary is #7 D'Mond LaFond. He is a highlight hit waiting to happen.

Having said all of that, this is what I think will play out. I think that Mason will make some big time plays when they need to through the air. But, for the most part both teams will stick to their run-heavy game plans. That is going to make for fast quarters. Punting and field position will be an important factor in this game, as will penalties and turnovers. As of right now the forecast is calling for a slim percentage of rain. It is not calling for a monsoon like last week! I think this is a lower scoring game for both teams. But, ultimately I think this Refugio team has more depth and more team speed than Mason. I've been most impressed with the focus and leadership this Refugio team has had from day one. This is a group of seniors that has been to the state game twice and come up short. They will show up Friday focused, disciplined and ready to play.

Refugio 27 Mason 14

Let's Go Bobcats!!!!

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:16 pm

4Gata wrote:I'm really looking forward to this game. Two weeks ago I went and watched Mason play Shiner so I have some familiarity with them. As I begin to break this game down I first look at games versus common opponents:

Mason 31 Junction 0 - This game was played in Mason -and I understand the Junction QB didn't play most of this game
Refugio starters 41 Junction 0 at the half- played at neutral site

Mason 34 Shiner 28 in OT - played at neutral site
Refugio 35 Shiner 0 - played in Shiner

In these two match-ups Refugio clearly outplayed their opponents.
Of course, those games are irrelevant in terms of how Mason & Refugio match-up with each other. I will also say that in the OT game versus Shiner, Mason dominated that game for all but 3 minutes of it. It wasn't until Shiner started throwing the ball and playing with tempo that they found a rhythm and scored 15 points in 3 minutes. But for the most part Mason ran the ball at will all night.

I was impressed with Mason's running game. They dominated Shiner, especially when they ran left behind #71. Mason has a good size line, but #71 is by far the best lineman and is a big boy. Their RB #22 is a tall, strong and tough back. He runs hard, uses his stiff arm well and keeps his legs moving. He will not go down easily. There are a couple of other backs that come in as well, including the freshman #41, who scored a TD against Shiner. Their QB is accurate and has a good arm. Occasionally, Mason would go to a trip receiver set and roll out the QB and his line gave him ample time to find an open teammate.
Defensively, Mason was led by their stud LB #33 along with the do-it-all senior #22. They have a hard-hitting defense that swarmed to the ball well.

On Refugio's side they are led by their offensive line. This is a very experienced group that is big and athletic. They are the reason we changed to a run-first team this year. #53 Trace Mascorro is one of the best lineman to ever wear the orange and black in my opinion. The receivers are tall and fast, including #3 Ortiz whom is probably the fastest Cat on the roster. The move to RB has been great for Jaylon, #2. And Refugio also has a freshman stud, #6 Ysidro Mascorro that will fill the starting RB spot nicely after this year.
I think it's important to clarify a misconception. I've read and heard people stating that our offense is not as good as it has been and we're not scoring as much as we used to. But, in reality we averaged 43 ppg last season, and this season we are just shy of 50 ppg.
Defensively, Refugio has a stout line, fast LB's and very athletic DB's. Again, #53 is our anchor on the line. #50 Kobie Herring is our leader at LB. And lurking in the secondary is #7 D'Mond LaFond. He is a highlight hit waiting to happen.

Having said all of that, this is what I think will play out. I think that Mason will make some big time plays when they need to through the air. But, for the most part both teams will stick to their run-heavy game plans. That is going to make for fast quarters. Punting and field position will be an important factor in this game, as will penalties and turnovers. As of right now the forecast is calling for a slim percentage of rain. It is not calling for a monsoon like last week! I think this is a lower scoring game for both teams. But, ultimately I think this Refugio team has more depth and more team speed than Mason. I've been most impressed with the focus and leadership this Refugio team has had from day one. This is a group of seniors that has been to the state game twice and come up short. They will show up Friday focused, disciplined and ready to play.

Refugio 27 Mason 14

Let's Go Bobcats!!!!

Not that it matters but against Refugio junction was wo their best running back, starting free safety and 2 other starters. Outcome wouldn't have changed but score or how lopsided it was probably would somewhat. And yes against Mason Junction was wo qb after 1st series thus zero pts. Doesn't mean they wouldve beat Mason but would have made a difference for offensive production as it was only 14-0 going into the 4th.

JWats44

Postby JWats44 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:17 am

You have to take into account that the Mason/Junction game is a very intense old rivalry. They will play Mason harder than anyone just because of that. The fact is that Refugio is loaded with multiple atheletes will offers to play at the next level. When you see them play they stand out like a sore thumb normally against the opposisition. Mason has faced teams that on paper were better and had better atheletes before and won some and lost some. I think it is imperitive that Mason stays happy with the 3-4 yards per play and a cloud of dust to keep the ball out of Refugios hands. If it is a low scoring game I think the Punchers have a chance. Good luck to both TEAMS!

ScoutTeamHero

Postby ScoutTeamHero » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:54 am

I think patience is the key for the Punchers. Field position and moving the chains are going to be important factors. Mason is accustomed to scoring points in bunches and normally scoring on big plays either in the run game or the passing game. The ability to go on the field and put together long drives that produce will be huge. Having said that nobody has been able to do that against Refugio all year. It surprises me that all the Herring experts on here seem to be shocked by his change to a run first offense. He was very successful at Sonora with big physical kids running the ball first and using his passing game as a compliment. Best of luck to both teams.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:25 am

JWats44 wrote:You have to take into account that the Mason/Junction game is a very intense old rivalry. They will play Mason harder than anyone just because of that. The fact is that Refugio is loaded with multiple atheletes will offers to play at the next level. When you see them play they stand out like a sore thumb normally against the opposisition. Mason has faced teams that on paper were better and had better atheletes before and won some and lost some. I think it is imperitive that Mason stays happy with the 3-4 yards per play and a cloud of dust to keep the ball out of Refugios hands. If it is a low scoring game I think the Punchers have a chance. Good luck to both TEAMS!

3 d1s to be exact. RB, FS, and mlb

rhsbobcat93

Postby rhsbobcat93 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:45 am

acesfull wrote:
JWats44 wrote:You have to take into account that the Mason/Junction game is a very intense old rivalry. They will play Mason harder than anyone just because of that. The fact is that Refugio is loaded with multiple atheletes will offers to play at the next level. When you see them play they stand out like a sore thumb normally against the opposisition. Mason has faced teams that on paper were better and had better atheletes before and won some and lost some. I think it is imperitive that Mason stays happy with the 3-4 yards per play and a cloud of dust to keep the ball out of Refugios hands. If it is a low scoring game I think the Punchers have a chance. Good luck to both TEAMS!

3 d1s to be exact. RB, FS, and mlb

4 to be exact Trace is going to Utep DL/Ol

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:13 pm

Harris rating has Refugio by 24 over Mason

GO BIG C !

ManInBlack

Postby ManInBlack » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:25 pm

I don't agree with that spread at all...this game will be close, down to the wire IMO

ComancheAlumni06
Donating Member 18/19

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:22 am

I agree with it, Refugio will win by 21+. No one will get within 21 points of them from here on out. No disrespect to Mason, Refugio is just that good this year. Their like Canadian last year. Just on an entirely different level.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 18/19

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:54 am

2016 Texas high school football playoff score projections - Round 4

A look ahead to possible Round 5 games in the Texas playoffs.
The projections are out for the Texas High School football playoffs. Who will prove the computer projections wrong?
Texas football playoff score projections

2A Division I

Friday - Mason (TX) vs Refugio (TX) at San Marcos
Projection: Refugio, 31-20
Score:

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/b2QD7BZ-oE ... ound-4.htm

ima puncher

Postby ima puncher » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:29 am

Kickoff forecast temp 55 with 80% chance light to moderate rain.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:22 pm

I was hoping for a rain-free game after last week. But, I guess if anything the rain typically translates into run-heavy offenses and minimal passing. Considering those are Refugio's strengths on both sides of the ball, and having the "experience" of playing in last week's monsoon perhaps the rain isn't all that bad of an element for the Bobcats.
The team with the early lead or during the least wet part of the game may turn out to have the advantage here. Should be a fun game to be a part of.

Go Cats Go!

nextblast

Postby nextblast » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:49 pm

two great posts for GATA and i have to agree. My concern, Mason has only two sr.s in skilled positions. Mason tends to put ball on the ground in tuff situations ie. vs Iraan and in the air vs. Shiner. Mason has 'tuff row to hoe'. Experience vs youth. I like Masons slim chance but 'its a chance'. Truly believe the state champ will be decided tomorrow nite at about 10pm. I think coaching will be difference!!! IMO

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:30 pm

http://www.texasfootball.com/must-see-g ... rterfinal/

The must-see games in every 11-man state quarterfinal

HAVING TROUBLE DECIDING WHICH GAME TO SEE THIS WEEKEND?
EVERY WEEK, DCTF SENIOR WRITER MIKE CRAVEN PICKS OUT THE CAN'T-MISS SHOWDOWNS FOR YOU.
by Mike Craven

"Every game is a winner at this point in the Texas high school football playoffs, but if we had to be at one, these are the games we’d pick in each bracket."

Class 2A Division I: Refugio vs. Mason

"Region IV is always where the action is during the early rounds of the Class 2A Division II playoffs.
The field is stacked and two teams usually remain – Refugio and Mason. Nothing changed in 2016 as these two familiar powers meet with a trophy on the line once again. Refugio is the favorite.
The Bobcats morphed into a multiple running team with a strong, physical offensive and defensive line. This is different than the spread teams we watched reach state finals in the past.
Mason started 2-2 with non-district losses to Goldthwaite and Iraan before rounding into its usual form."

rhsbobcat93

Postby rhsbobcat93 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:54 pm

carmine14

Postby carmine14 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:05 pm

how is the weather up there

Bearcat77

e: Mason v Refugio @ San Marcos HS

Postby Bearcat77 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Mason Punchers 00-14 Refugio Bobcats..1st Quarter.

https://scorestream.com/teams/mason-hig ... amId=16520

Bearcat77

Re: e: Mason v Refugio @ San Marcos HS

Postby Bearcat77 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:41 pm

Mason Punchers 00-21 Refugio Bobcats..2nd Quarter.

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:42 pm

Mason Punchers 00-21 Refugio Bobcats..HALFTIME.

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:11 pm

Mason Punchers 00-28 Refugio Bobcats..3rd Quarter.

PunchU
Donating Member 17/18

Postby PunchU » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:21 pm

Refugio, is just as good as everyone thought and said they were.
Bobcats 28
Mason 0
8:27 left 4th

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:22 pm

Mason Punchers 00-28 Refugio Bobcats..4th Quarter.

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Final

Refugio 28, Mason 7
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

ima puncher

Postby ima puncher » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:41 pm

First off thanks for all the posters who backed the Punchers thru out the season and playoffs. It wasn't our night tonight but regardless it was a fantastic season. Refugio congrats on your win you guys played a super game.

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:01 pm

Congratulations on a great season Punchers. You guys played hard tonight and never gave up. Congratulations to the Bobcats. Need to get ready for a very good Centerville team next week.

PurplePunch
Donating Member 17/18

Postby PurplePunch » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:28 pm

As strange as it sounds, special teams and field position played a big part in the outcome tonight. Refugio's kickoff team buried Mason inside the 20, and Refugio's first two possessions began on the Puncher 39 and 27, after a fumble. Both resulted in scores, and coming back from down 14 ain't easy against the Bobcats defense, which is really good. Like last year, you don't want to give these guys anything easy early in the game.
Punchers and their fans need to celebrate this great season and playing in the 4th round, in December. Punchers will work hard and try to get a better outcome next year.

Tx6686

Postby Tx6686 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:23 am

Bobcats defense is no joke. It's the best I've seen in person in 1a\2 high school football at stopping the run and good enough on the pass. If you fall behind and are a run first team offense you have no chance.

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:06 pm

http://www.gosanangelo.com/story/sports ... /94862292/

Refugio ends Mason's season again
Quinton Martinez, Corpus Christi Caller-Times

SAN MARCOS–"Since Kade Burns took over the program, Mason has made a living off physically dominating their opponents with the brute force of their offensive line.

On Friday at Rattler Stadium, No. 3 Refugio turned the table on the Punchers.

The Bobcats (13-1) were again led by their stellar defensive front, featuring two Division I commits, holding one of the best rushing attacks in the state to 39 yards in a 28-7 win over Mason (11-3) in the Class 2A Division I state quarterfinals.

“They are a really good team,” Burns said. “They take the things that we like to do and took them away from us. We didn’t have a first down in the first half. The defense they have there is just fantastic.”

Refugio returns to the state semifinals for the second consecutive season where the Bobcats will play Centerville, a 23-17 winner over Price Carlisle in the Region III championship game. The specifics of the state semifinal contest are still to be determined.

The Bobcats won the toss, deferred and took the wind to open the game.

“Winning the flip was huge,” Refugio head coach Jason Herring said. “Then holding them and making them punt against the wind. That was my plan and it worked out great. We had a short field and we jumped out on them quick. I honestly felt if we could get to 14 that our defense could hold them.”

Refugio forced a three-and-out, drove and scored and then forced another punt in a near-perfect start.

After connecting with Trent Ross for a 26-yard touchdown to open the game, Avery took it in from 1 yard out with 2:37 to give the Bobcats a 14-0 lead after one quarter.

Ysidro Mascorro’s five-yard touchdown run was the only score of the second as Refugio staked a 21-0 halftime lead.

Mason was held without a first down and had 20 yards rushing after the opening half.

Over the last two seasons Herring has transformed his team – and defense – to something similar to Mason, knowing that it would take that to win in Region IV-2A Division I.

“I’m real proud of our football team,” Herring said. “The plan worked to perfection. We knew we had a special defense and a great offensive line. We moved (former quarterback) Jaylon (Mascorro) to running back so we could pound the rock and play great defense and special teams. That recipe tonight won us the game, no doubt about it.”

Though the Punchers had success in the second half through the air behind quarterback Otto Wofford, it only produced one score, a one-yard sneak from the quarterback with 1:53 to play.

Wofford finished with 111 yards passing on a night when the Punchers averaged less than 2 yards a carry (23-39).

Haddon Hudson, Mason’s 2,000-yard running back, finished with nine yards on eight carries, though he caught two passes for 43 yards. Klay Klaerner had 46 yards receiving for the Punchers.

“That was the biggest defensive line we’ve faced all year – and they are physically strong,” Burns said. “They are a good team. They started out No. 1 for a reason and they still are. That is a really good football team. We feel like to win Region IV-2A in Division I you have to go through a gauntlet of teams.

“That is a really good team and they are going to be a tough out in the playoffs, that is for sure.”

Refugio’s Mascorro scored on a 44-yard run in the third quarter to cap his 141-yard night.

The Bobcats ran the ball 52 times, and although Mason held them to five first downs in the second half, the 21-0 halftime lead was enough to beat Mason for the second straight season.

“I was really proud of the kids,” Burns said. “They played hard to the end. That makes us very proud in the Mason community.”

Refugio 28-7 Mason

Score by Quarters
Mason----0-0-0-7==7
Refugio-14-7-7-0=28

SCORING SUMMARY
First Quarter
Refugio – Trent Ross 26 pass from Jacobe Avery (Diego Gonzales kick), 6:12 remaining
Refugio – Avery 1 run (Gonzales kick), 2:37

Second Quarter
Refugio – Ysidro Mascorro 5 run (Gonzales kick), 1:49

Third Quarter
Refugio – Jaylon Mascorro 44 run (Gonzales kick), 2:54

Fourth Quarter
Mason – Otto Wofford 1 run (Fernando Torres kick), 1:53

....................Mas...Ref.........
First downs .........9..16
Rushing Yards..23-39..52-217
Passing Yards.....111..70
Comp-Att-Int..6-18-1..4-5-0
Fumbles-lost......2-1..2-1
Punts-avg......5-37.2..3-35
Penalties-yards..1-11..5-44

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
Rushing: Mason –
Otto Wofford 10-18, Haddon Hudson 8-9, Klay Klaerner 1-5, Americo Alvarez 1-1, Emanuel Martinez 1-6, Sebastian Burke 1-0; Baylee Owen 1-0;
Refugio – Jaylon Mascorro 20-141, Ysidro Mascorro 15-40, Jacobe Avery 11-45, Jared Kelly 1-2; TEAM 4-(minus-7), Daryon Ramirez 1-(minus-4).

Passing:
Mason – Wofford 6-18-1 for 111;
Refugio – Avery 4-4-0 for 70, J. Mascorro 0-1-0 for 0.

Receiving:
Mason – Klaerner 2-46, Hudson 2-43, Martinez 1-15, Caleb Hyatt 1-7;
Refugio – Trent Ross 1-26, Chris Moya 1-10, Y. Mascorro 1-14, J. Mascorro 1-20

nextblast

Postby nextblast » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:30 pm

Just got finished watchin this game. No doubt, Refugio were a better bunch.

THIS BOARD IS NOT A PLACE TO BASH COACHES OR PLAYERS!

rhsbobcat93

Postby rhsbobcat93 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:13 pm

You have a blessed day sir

nextblast

Postby nextblast » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:17 pm

Thats the best u got???

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Nextblast, this isn't your first tirade about Refugio football. I've got an idea. If you hate it so much, why don' t you stay away from it? That's what I try to do with something I don't like. It makes life a lot better.

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:12 pm

Also you gave no examples of what exactly the Refugio kids did? Refugio had 5 penalties for 44 yards last night and one of them was a face mask call late in the game. So in theory all they could have had was one more 15 yard penalty. No Mason fans have come on here discussing Refugio's behavior and if it was that blatant then much more then 1 possible unsportsmanlike penalty would have been called.

carmine14

Postby carmine14 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:38 pm

maybe this guy should try what he sees, obviously he watches playoff football games from the stands, not on the field coaching a winning team.

LLion22

Postby LLion22 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:06 pm

nextblast wrote:Just got finished watchin this game. No doubt, Refugio were a better bunch.

POST EDITED...

Sir, you are the "turd." Neutral party here from the Austin area, went to this game because I enjoy good HS football. I sat on the lower level behind the Refugio bench and got to believe you were at a different game. Actually I think you may have a mental issue going on, so consider doing those around you a favor and getting that checked this week. You say, "sorriest group of athletes I've ever seen." Looked to me like they handled themselves quite well, both teams. Consider moving on to something you enjoy and try to be happy. Lots of anger and devisiveness in your words.

rhsbobcat93

Postby rhsbobcat93 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:17 pm

LLion22 wrote:
nextblast wrote:Just got finished watchin this game. No doubt, Refugio were a better bunch.

POST EDITED...

Sir, you are the "turd." Neutral party here from the Austin area, went to this game because I enjoy good HS football. I sat on the lower level behind the Refugio bench and got to believe you were at a different game. Actually I think you may have a mental issue going on, so consider doing those around you a favor and getting that checked this week. You say, "sorriest group of athletes I've ever seen." Looked to me like they handled themselves quite well, both teams. Consider moving on to something you enjoy and try to be happy. Lots of anger and devisiveness in your words.

Well said sir

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:34 pm

CLOSED.
Defense wins Championships!

Return to “2A Texas Football”