Stadiums situated North to South and other observations

TroRAntelope
Ambassador Region 1

Stadiums situated North to South and other observations

Post by TroRAntelope »

Drove through Dumas yesterday and for the first time actually noticed their stadium home stands face south and visitors( obviously) face north. I cannot recall any other high school that I played at or attended a game where that is the case. I'm sure y'all know of some...

I graduated from Abernathy, where the home stands faced west when I played. They have subsequently changed to the far more common easterly orientation, as to avoid those September sunsets. Windthorst is also one of the few home stands that face west.
Cottontop
Users

Re: Stadiums situated North to South and other observations

Post by Cottontop »

But as you know, Windthorst takes advantage of "The Hill". It expands the stands.

I think Childress home is on north side also.
Eagle 1
Site Admin

Post by Eagle 1 »

Goldthwaite stadium sits East-West with the home side on the North. The visitors side does have some shade from the oak trees, but as the season progresses they also have that cold North wind at their face. The home side is some what protected from the High School.
ProfessorJones
Users

Post by ProfessorJones »

Refugio’s home stands face South and the visitors face North. Woodsboro, Sinton, Mathis, are some other ones, just off the top of my head.
It’s a pretty good day when you’re on your way and you like where you’re going, and you’ve got what you want and you want what you’ve got and you’re wise enough to know it.
HawleyRocks
Donating Member 22-23

Post by HawleyRocks »

Hawley's Forrest Field is setup with the Home stands facing the North, with the Home stands facing that cold north wind as the season progresses. The field runs East and West, and I have always thought this was great as neither crowd had to look into the sun. Part of the reason the stadium was set up like this is because we used to be land locked as there was a dirt road that belong to the City of Hawley that was right behind the visitors stands. I can remember when I played, people would drive by all during the game and we as players and fans would get a wave of dirt from that nasty old dirt road that would flow across the playing field. I guess it never occurred to anyone to close the road during games. Sometime after I graduated in 1981, the land on the other side of the dirt road became available and the school bought it, and the City of Hawley finally closed that nasty old dirt road and gave that to the school as well. This land is where the baseball field, softball field, and Hawley Pop Warner kid's practice field sits now as well as a parking lot and the new bus barn.

Also, an interesting fact and I am sure there are some other fields out there, but there are not many especially at the 2A level. Hawley has two scoreboards, one on each end of the field. You just don't see this much until you get into larger stadiums a lot of the time. I have always thought this was kind of an anomaly.
Hawley Bearcats
2A D1 State Champions 2022-2023
Bearcat Fan Since 1962
TroRAntelope
Ambassador Region 1

Post by TroRAntelope »

Great!

Now I have another place where I want to see a game. LOL. love hearing about that kind of stuff.
HawleyRocks
Donating Member 22-23

Post by HawleyRocks »

Hawley's Forrest Field

One more fact about Forrest Field: This field was built in 1968 when they started the football program at Hawley, I was six years old. It was named for a long time Agriculture Teacher, because he would water and mow the grass, a lot like the Forest Gump story from that movie a few years ago, (I mowed that grass for free!). Our Ag Teacher's name was Mr. Wayne Forrest. He taught me how to weld, judge land, and a lot of other agricultural items as well. He was also our FFA sponsor when I was in school. He was a fine old man and loved working at Hawley ISD. I cannot remember how long he taught there, but it was a long time. RIP
Hawley Bearcats
2A D1 State Champions 2022-2023
Bearcat Fan Since 1962
JBSH4W
Users

Post by JBSH4W »

Smyer's field is North to South oriented.