Top 4 by District

PurplePunch
Users

Top 4 by District

Post by PurplePunch »

There are plenty of knowledgeable fans on here, and everyone wants to speculate about the big games and the finals matchups, but to get there you have to play the regular season. Let’s each pick the district(s) we’re most familiar with, and beat Dave Campbell to the draw.
District/Division
Teams in rank order, with protected record and reasons (key players, new/changes that will affect, whatever). Go on the record now, so we can crow or be harassed later! :)
Windthorstfan
Site Admin

Re: Top 4 by District

Post by Windthorstfan »

Div II
District 1
1. Wink
2. Seagraves
3. McCamey
4. Iraan (lesser of two evils! Outscored last year 64-540 in 11 games, while Plains was outscored 19-577 in 10 games)
5. Plains

District 2
1. Sudan
2. Bovina
3. Smyer
4. New Home went 4-7 last while Ropesville went 9-3 in 6 man. 6 man schools typically struggle a bit in their 1st season up.
5. Ropesville

District 3
1. Stratford loses all their offensive production but giving them the benefit of the doubt
2. Vega
3. Gruver losses OU signee Jalin Conyers as well as 10 other seniors
4. Coin flip says Booker over Sunray
5. Sunray

District 4
1. Wheeler
2. Wellington
3. Clarendon
4. Shamrock
5. Memphis

District 5
1. Hamlin
2. Ralls
3. Lockney
4. Roscoe
5. Crosbyton

District 6
1. Archer City
2. Quanah
3. Seymour
4. Electra
5. Munday
6. Olney

District 7
1. Windthorst (probably a bit of a homer pick considering we are losing Awtry, but Muenster is losing quite a bit too)
2. Muenster
3. Going Petrolia here as they are going to be huge on the line, still think they are a year away as they will still be young
4. Chico did beat Petrolia 40-14 to open season last year but Petrolia was super young with a new coach at the helm. Chico probably should be #3.
5. Era

District 8
1. Albany
2. Santo
3. Cross Plains
4. Ranger solely based on they beat Petrolia last year and Hico lost to Petrolia.
5. Hico
6. Meridian
H.TIGFAN
Site Mods

Post by H.TIGFAN »

Windthorstfan wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:24 pm

District 7
1. Windthorst (probably a bit of a homer pick considering we are losing Awtry, but Muenster is losing quite a bit too)
2. Muenster
3. Going Petrolia here as they are going to be huge on the line, still think they are a year away as they will still be young
4. Chico did beat Petrolia 40-14 to open season last year but Petrolia was super young with a new coach at the helm. Chico probably should be #3.
5. Era

District 8
1. Albany
2. Santo
3. Cross Plains
4. Ranger solely based on they beat Petrolia last year and Hico lost to Petrolia.
5. Hico
6. Meridian
Without knowing what returns :

District 7
1. Muenster
2. Windthorst
3. Chico
4. Petrolia
5. Era.

District 8
1. Albany
2. Santo
3. Cross Plains
4. Hico
5. Ranger
6. Meridian

One of us has to get 4th place, and get slaughtered by Windthorst or Muenster.
PurplePunch
Users

Post by PurplePunch »

District 14 Division 1
I probably should do more research on Ozona and Brackettville, but based on my recollection of what the teams we played have coming back, and the film of Ozona-Sonora -
1) Mason - Punchers only return two offensive and three defensive ‘starters’, but have quite a lot of experience’ returning. The big, athletic two-way all-District safety/quarterback is one of the best dual-threat QBs around. He has some large, athletic receivers who have become accomplished route runners, and several ‘normal-sized’ kids with decent speed who are coming along as receivers. Three experienced running backs return, and all three also are linebackers. The offensive line will be anchored by a returning starter and big junior who played often and well last year; the rest are decent prospects. There is a new OC, who was quite successful at Sonora a few years back.
Defensively, the head coach/DC will have a typical Puncher defense that runs to the ball and hits you. Not as much suspense on this side of the ball.
2) Ozona, because Brackettville lost their key players.
3) Brackettville because they are building a decent program, but they lost a lot of production, including the district offensive MVP.
4) Johnson City, because they are excited about coming down from 3A and improved last year. Could be better than 3 or even 2; don’t see them as 1.
5) Center Point, because they try hard.
6) Harper. Losing a good coach like Kirhoff is difficult.
Windthorstfan
Site Admin

Post by Windthorstfan »

H.TIGFAN wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:22 pm
Without knowing what returns :

District 7
1. Muenster
2. Windthorst
3. Chico
4. Petrolia
5. Era.

District 8
1. Albany
2. Santo
3. Cross Plains
4. Hico
5. Ranger
6. Meridian

One of us has to get 4th place, and get slaughtered by Windthorst or Muenster.
I really struggled with 4th place in your district. Knowing how bad Ranger was last year and how they struggle with numbers so play with a lot of young kids that's not conducive with a winning program. They return their QB, but lose their RB. That's not saying much though. They struggle on the line which isn't conducive to winning football games.

Muenster is the "safe" pick!! But history is also on your side. I woke up this morning dreaming of Windthorst baseball and for some reason my picks popped into my head. I got to thinking that historically Muenster has had Windthorst's number. One of the few teams that have a winning record against us, 14-5 all-time. I know history doesn't win games. Holliday and Munday are two other schools that have a substantial winning record against us.

Petrolia is going to be huge on the line. They recently hired former Henrietta HC Bryon West to be an assistant, who will bring his son with him. Mitch McLemore has had success at his other stops. Petrolia was a complete rebuild. A couple of kids that didn't play last year are rumored to be coming back, their team will still be mostly sophomores which is why I think they are a year away.
H.TIGFAN
Site Mods

Post by H.TIGFAN »

[/quote]
I really struggled with 4th place in your district. Knowing how bad Ranger was last year and how they struggle with numbers so play with a lot of young kids that's not conducive with a winning program. They return their QB, but lose their RB. That's not saying much though. They struggle on the line which isn't conducive to winning football games.

Muenster is the "safe" pick!! But history is also on your side. I woke up this morning dreaming of Windthorst baseball and for some reason my picks popped into my head. I got to thinking that historically Muenster has had Windthorst's number. One of the few teams that have a winning record against us, 14-5 all-time. I know history doesn't win games. Holliday and Munday are two other schools that have a substantial winning record against us.

Petrolia is going to be huge on the line. They recently hired former Henrietta HC Bryon West to be an assistant, who will bring his son with him. Mitch McLemore has had success at his other stops. Petrolia was a complete rebuild. A couple of kids that didn't play last year are rumored to be coming back, their team will still be mostly sophomores which is why I think they are a year away.
[/quote]

Hico wasn't going to be very good last year regardless of injuries. Good kids, but not athletic. By the time district rolled around there was 6 or 7 starters out do to injuries. Hico returns several for next year. Hico scrimmaged Meridian last year, and Hico looked to get the better end of the scrimmage.
Comanchealumni06
Ambassador Region 4

Post by Comanchealumni06 »

District 13:

I really don’t have a ton of info and in depth knowledge on all these teams. So I’m going off of hearsay.

1. Shiner - They return a ton, and will be senior heavy this season. They lost a few key players. Including Donyei Taylor, who is just one of those athletes that comes around once in awhile. However, there’s a few returning that are of a similar status. And Shiner will be one of the top teams in the state this season.

2. Ganado - After a very successful run in the playoffs at the 3AD2 level, and with some returning talent. This is an easy choice for 2nd. Even with the amount of talent they lost from last season. They will make some noise in region 4 as well.

3. Schulenburg - They made the playoffs as a 4 seed in 3AD2 last season. And from my understanding from a very reliable source. They’re bringing some players back this season. Unfortunate for them it’s in a district as tough as this one. I still see them making a little noise in Region 4.

4. Weimar - I’m really not sure what they have coming back. They had a great receiver last season that I believe will return. But the main weapon, their running back will not. He was a large majority of their offense last season. This team could very well be 5th. But I’m giving them just a slight edge over Flatonia.

5. Flatonia - They had a solid run in 2AD2 last season. Had some quality wins, one was even over Schulenburg. However, from sources I’m hearing they will lose a bunch from that successful squad last season. And having to come back up to D1 at the same time just doesn’t bode well for the Bulldogs. They would still be a playoff team in many other districts and even a district champ in some. Whether it’s Weimar or them, a good team will be left at home.
Shiner Comanches
State Champs
Football 1986, 2004, 2020, 2021
Softball 2001, 2002, 2008, 2011, 2015, 2016
Baseball 1981, 1992, 2002, 2004
Tennis Mixed Doubles 2007
Track Girls Team 2016 Boys Team 2021
Marching Band 2013, 2022
Windthorstfan
Site Admin

Post by Windthorstfan »

H.TIGFAN wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:41 pm Hico wasn't going to be very good last year regardless of injuries. Good kids, but not athletic. By the time district rolled around there was 6 or 7 starters out do to injuries. Hico returns several for next year. Hico scrimmaged Meridian last year, and Hico looked to get the better end of the scrimmage.
Meridian went 0-10 and only scored 21 points the entire season, while surrendering 539. I would hope Hico got the better end of the scrimmage!!