Favorites in 2020

ManInBlack
Users

Favorites in 2020

Post by ManInBlack »

Who do you think will be the favorites in 2020? Not sure what everyone across the state has coming back, but my Top 5 would be something like this:

#1 - Shiner (Senior heavy team, tons of playmakers)
#2 - Post (Bring back almost all starters from 2019, possible #1)
#3 - Cisco (Good year in 3A-D2, dropping down)
#4 - San Augustine (Think they bring back a good amount)
#5 - Refugio (Lose a lot, but the Champs are always in the mix)
ganadofan1
Donating Member 22-23

Re: Favorites in 2020

Post by ganadofan1 »

I would say for D1 Shiner because they have the most coming back and probably should have won it last year.

No doubt and easily Mart for D2. I don't see a scenario where they don't win the championship.
H.TIGFAN
Site Mods

Post by H.TIGFAN »

ManInBlack wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:07 am Who do you think will be the favorites in 2020? Not sure what everyone across the state has coming back, but my Top 5 would be something like this:

#1 - Shiner (Senior heavy team, tons of playmakers)
#2 - Post (Bring back almost all starters from 2019, possible #1)
#3 - Cisco (Good year in 3A-D2, dropping down)
#4 - San Augustine (Think they bring back a good amount)
#5 - Refugio (Lose a lot, but the Champs are always in the mix)
Trying to find something to debate you about, but I cant argue with your list.

Mart easily #1 in Division 2.
tbpanther
Users

Post by tbpanther »

No argument with the D1 list.
D2, Hamlin will be strong again. Mart needed a pick-six to beat them last year. Mart is also losing basically all of the team leadership it has had for the last three years. It'll be interesting to see who will step up this year. Mart will have the athletes to win for the next 3 years at least, but without leadership on the field, athletes aren't enough to win championships.
Windthorstfan
Site Admin

Post by Windthorstfan »

tbpanther wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:23 am D2, Hamlin will be strong again. Mart needed a pick-six to beat them last year.
Mart doesn't "beat" themselves. Mart won the turnover battle 4-0.

I was going to say don't discount Stratford out of Region I as they turned it over 7 times in their semifinal loss to Hamlin. But looking at their roster all their offensive production were seniors.

Hamlin loses their stud RB, but Jackson Sepeda returns for them.
PurplePunch
Users

Post by PurplePunch »

Can’t argue with MIB’s list, although I doubt #s 2, 3, 4 want to play #5. Looks like the early favorites for each region, plus Refugio.

How about Region 4? Comanches and Bobcats, but there look to be quite a few contenders, even in Shiner’s district. Dark horses?
ganadofan1
Donating Member 22-23

Post by ganadofan1 »

I am thinking Mason is going to be better this year not that they were bad last year. 10-3 is not bad at all but I expect them to match up and be right there with Shiner and Refugio as they are most years.
ManInBlack
Users

Post by ManInBlack »

ganadofan1 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:05 pm I am thinking Mason is going to be better this year not that they were bad last year. 10-3 is not bad at all but I expect them to match up and be right there with Shiner and Refugio as they are most years.
They’re a team that was hard for me to leave out of my Top 5. Like you, I think of them being there annually in the recent battles for Region 4 supremacy. The reason I left them off is because a poster from Mason said on the Friday Night Rivals app that they’re only bringing back 2 starters on Offense and 3 on Defense. Seeing what Holland did to them, what Refugio did to Holland after that game with Shiner, and reading that they bring back so little is what gave me a lot of pause. I do think Mason and Shiner will meet up in Round 3 though, so I guess we will just have to wait and see.
PurplePunch
Users

Post by PurplePunch »

Mason doesn’t belong in the top 5, by any stretch; not now. 2 & 3 is correct, if misleading due to the rotation system and playoff playing time changes. With personnel changes and offensive changes, the identity of the Punchers will be different, and no one knows what that means. But, there is talent - potentially D1 talent - on hand.
Hoping for a full season to figure it out. The playoffs are another season.
ManInBlack
Users

Post by ManInBlack »

Are you saying Mason is going to go away from their traditional ground and pound style of play, and play more spread? I know they did more spread stuff the last time they played Refugio, and it seems like Shiner has started to open their offense up quite a bit as well.