1A & 2A STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS NEXT YEAR.

Ladies with bats, any questions??
H.TIGFAN

1A & 2A STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS NEXT YEAR.

Postby H.TIGFAN » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:11 pm

One change it did make in baseball and softball was to create a separate championship for Class A schools. Under the new format, A and 2A schools will be grouped for district play but then split into separate playoff brackets.

http://www.dfw.com/2016/06/14/1111563/u ... -shot.html

Windthorstfan

Re: 1A & 2A STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS NEXT YEAR.

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:25 pm

1A Teams
Region I
District 1 - Booker, Follett, McLean
District 3 - Gail Borden(finished 4th lost 21-15 in 1st round), Ira (advanced 3 rounds), Westbrook
District 4 - Marfa (finished 3rd lost to Ira 1st rd)
District 5 - Menard
District 6 - Hermleigh (DC lost 1st rd), Loraine, Roby (4th lost 1st rd), Rotan (3rd lost 1st round), Trent
District 7 - Baird, Clyde Eula
District 8 - Vernon Northside

Region II
District 9 - Cross Plains (3rd lost 1st rd), Gorman(2nd lost 1st rd), May, Richland Springs, Santa Anna
District 11 - Bryson (4th lost 1st rd), Gordon, Graford, Lipan, Strawn
District 12 - Tioga
District 13 - Dodd City, Ector, Savoy
District 14 - Ladonia Fannidel, Roxton
District 15 - Avalon, Blum, Covington (4th lost 1st rd), Kopperl
District 16 - Coolidge

Region III
District 17 - Bloomburg
District 18 - Saltillo (3rd lost 1st rd), Sulphur Bluff (4th lost 1st rd), Yantis
District 19 - Gilmer Union Hill
District 20 - Fruitvale (3rd lost 1st rd), Trinidad
District 21 - Kennard, Slocum (DC, advanced 3 rds)
District 22 - Wells
District 23 - Burkeville, Martinsville
District 24 - Apple Springs (4th lost 1st rd), Chester, Spurger

Region IV
District 25 - High Island
District 27 - Bartlett
District 28 - Fayetteville
District 29 - D'hanis (4th lost 1st rd), Medina
District 30 - Nordheim, Runge (4th lost 1st rd)
District 32 - Bruni (San Perlita has 1A numbers but elects to play 2A basketball so they 2A in softball)

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Based on the above I think Slocum is probably the best team in 1A. Even though Ira advanced 3 rounds I think the region goes District 7 and Clyde Eula. Region IV with only 8 teams should petition UIL for a double elimination super regional tournament like the College world series!!!

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:10 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:Based on the above I think Slocum is probably the best team in 1A. Even though Ira advanced 3 rounds I think the region goes District 7 and Clyde Eula. Region IV with only 8 teams should petition UIL for a double elimination super regional tournament like the College world series!!!

I'd go with Clyde Eula. They took down Anson and Haskell in district play and nearly beat Stamford. They would be contenders in 1A. I didn't see Knox City listed. Are they 1A?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Blue bayou wrote:I'd go with Clyde Eula. They took down Anson and Haskell in district play and nearly beat Stamford. They would be contenders in 1A. I didn't see Knox City listed. Are they 1A?

Knox City would be 1A but they don't play softball so they were not listed on the alignment.

Anson? Eula did beat Haskell in district play once. Playoff Reps for D7 were Hawley, Stamford, Haskell, and Albany. Eula finished 5th and Anson 6th.

I like Slocum for the simple fact they won their district. The runner-up of the district won bi-district. The 4th place team put a scare into Joaquin as Grapeland did take the second game of the series in the 1st round. Slocum lost to Joaquin in the 3rd round of the playoffs 3-9, 0-2. Joaquin then lost to Harleton in the next round. Very old history but Windthorst defeated Slocum 3-0 for their 1st State Championship in '04.

lynx

Postby lynx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:05 pm

In 1A there won't be a lot of competition but Eula will win it all vs. Slocum in title game....D'Hanis will represent Region 4 and Gorman for Region 3. There will be some very weak teams in 1A playoffs...similar to the VB playoffs now.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:50 pm

lynx wrote:There will be some very weak teams in 1A playoffs...similar to the VB playoffs now.

They are only taking two schools from each district to the playoffs - then again that is probably more to a lack of teams rather than due to weak teams.

Sandiettesoftball

Postby Sandiettesoftball » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:20 pm

Hello all, I think Windthorstfan is right on track with his Slocum prediction to take it all in Class 1A. They won our district this year and were very young. They only lost two starters and started several freshman and sophomores. I believe their SS was the only Junior. One of the starters was a pitcher but they had two freshman that shared pitching time with the senior. What makes them more dangerous is that 6 of those starters play travel ball on the same team year round. This will definitely have them prepared. It made all the difference this year. I am not familiar with Clyde Eula but I know Slocum and they have tradition and won't be easy to beat once they get confident. I don't see anybody in this region challenging them. Grapeland and Slocum have been district rivals for a long time but our girls and the Slocum girls have grown up together. They play league ball together and are about 15 miles apart. With Beckville and Harleton departing Class 2A to Class 3A it's going to be wide open in Region 3. Going to be an interesting spring.

lynx

Postby lynx » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Region 4 will once again win 1A ....D'Hanis was a very solid 2A last year and have their pitchers back...Runge could surprise
And yes Slocum should be the team to beat in 1A overall....Slocum vs D'Hanis...D'Hanis wins 5-3 and their pitcher gets MVP. That's my crystal ball outlook ;)

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Slocum defeated Bartlett (Region IV) 10-5 in the second semi-final. Hermleigh outlasted Dodd City 20-19 in 8 innings. Dodd City twice lead by 9 runs in the game and lead 19-11 heading to the Bottom of the 6th. Hermleigh scored 5 in the 7th to force extra innings. Dodd City had a chance to win 19-18 but an error on the throw allowed the run to score from second but the runner from 1st was gunned out at 3rd to end the 7th. (6-3-2-5 if you are scoring at home!!)

IMO the Slocum-Bartlett game was the championship. Hermleigh has only lost one game on the season but their schedule was only 1A and JV schools.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Slocum 10 Hermleigh 0 final

Return to “Texas Softball”