3. Forsan
4. Hawley
5. Beckville
6. Thrall
7. Kennard
8. Dodd City
9. Windthorst
10. Harleton
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

WindthorstDad

Re: 2015 Texas Girls Coaches Association Pre-Season Softball

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:14 am

Well - I am curious if they look at how the teams finished in the final poll of last year and then check with coaches on returning players, especially pitchers, or is this just a WAG. :lol:

I can understand having Weimar on the list as they return a solid core but with the loss of their two-time MVP pitcher, I would not expect them at #1. I would have expected Beckville to bet #1 in a pre-season poll. Now Crawford and Hawley dropped down a division and have solid cores and not surprised to see them in the top 10. Surprised that Hawley is that high as again, they lost an all-state pitcher and I'm not sure they have replaced her with a similar caliber arm. Forsan, Thrall and Kennard are unknowns so I'll have to do some research on those teams. Dodd City typically fields solid teams so I'm not surprised to see them in the poll.

I am surprised Windthorst is not in the top 3 or 5. Windthorst finished ranked #5 last season, came within one run of making the state tournament before losing to Petrolia. We graduated an all-state 3B but return both pitchers and our all-district catcher. Believe we need to replace an outfielder and 1B and SS. We do have a phenomenal freshman who will be our new SS so not let down in the infield. So, other than the 3B, we return all our bats and defense.

Anybody else want to weigh in?
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

Wildaggie

Postby Wildaggie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:15 pm

Weimar will be good, just not sure how good. I guess they deserve to be there until proven otherwise. I can tell you Thrall will be hard to beat because of their pitcher. They could have easily beat Weimar last year in the playoffs (lost 3 to 2). She was without a doubt the best pitcher I saw last year in class A. She is committed to Tennessee but not as a pitcher. She experienced some control issues early in the year, but once she straightened that out she was tough.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Wildaggie wrote:Weimar will be good, just not sure how good. I guess they deserve to be there until proven otherwise. I can tell you Thrall will be hard to beat because of their pitcher. They could have easily beat Weimar last year in the playoffs (lost 3 to 2). She was without a doubt the best pitcher I saw last year in class A. She is committed to Tennessee but not as a pitcher. She experienced some control issues early in the year, but once she straightened that out she was tough.

Kind of like football, you are the champs until someone beats you. Weimar will continue to be tough. Good luck to Weimar. Your district and region look pretty tough as well. Do you know anything about your pitcher this year?

Appreciate the info on Thrall; I have not seen them play so had little to go on.

I was a bit surprised to see Forsan ranked in the top 10 as well. They will need to get past Haskell first and I believe Haskell will crack the top 10 once play begins.

Our new district this year includes: Windthorst, Archer City and Petrolia - all made it at least to semi-regionals. Should be a fun district.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:19 pm

Hawley lost their star pitcher, but little sister is a force as well, so it should be an exciting year for us... It is never dull for our girls... We lost our first game last year in the first state playoff round in Austin.

This should be an exciting time with the new district. Good luck to all... Go Lady Cats...

As always... HawleyRocks!!!!
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

Wildaggie

Postby Wildaggie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Weimar will rely on 2 pitchers this year. One is a junior who has really good control but not over-powering and the other is a freshman who throws hard but has had some control issues in her select ball. Weimar will have the offense to score runs and the defense to make plays, will have to see what happens in the circle.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:39 pm

Wildaggie wrote:Weimar will rely on 2 pitchers this year. One is a junior who has really good control but not over-powering and the other is a freshman who throws hard but has had some control issues in her select ball. Weimar will have the offense to score runs and the defense to make plays, will have to see what happens in the circle.

Wildaggie - while it may not be the popular way to go, I believe using two pitchers can be beneficial. Both get work without wearing down, both most likely bring something different to the mound and of course both have experience in the event of an injury or illness. Weimar will benefit from this approach this season especially with the potent offense you typically bring.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:42 pm

HawleyRocks wrote:Hawley lost their star pitcher, but little sister is a force as well, so it should be an exciting year for us... It is never dull for our girls... We lost our first game last year in the first state playoff round in Austin.

This should be an exciting time with the new district. Good luck to all... Go Lady Cats...

As always... HawleyRocks!!!!

So that would be SR Makenzie Anderson who played SS last year, correct? Always good to have another arm ready to take the mound. I expect Hawley will make some noise this year once again.

I liked the look of your fields when we visited for football. Too bad our coaches didn't schedule a non-district game between us. Would love to watch the girls play and get to visit with you again.

Return to “Texas Softball”