2015 Softball

Ladies with bats, any questions??
WindthorstDad

Re: 2015 Softball

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:07 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:
WindthorstDad wrote:Big District 8-2A Softball match-up tonight between the Windthorst Trojanettes and the Archer City Lady Cats. Both bring undefeated districts records to the plate and this one promises to be a "barn-burner"!

Didn't know that AC is coached by former Midwestern State Star Mallory Mooney. She was a 3rd Team All-American her junior year at MSU.

Yes sir, Archer City going with younger coaching staffs and it's been paying off for them. Girls seem to identify with the younger coaches and the results have been playoff runs.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:36 pm

Congrats to windy on win great game cldve gone either way. Windy game w big 5th when score tied 2-2.AC had plenty cahnces bases loaded twice 1 out and runners at 2 and 3rd 1 outs. Only complaint was the head ump can't let a coach delay the game that long w score tid 2-2 Lonnie pulled out old tricks to halt momentum when we had runners at second and third tied 2-2. He did it to chang momentum which is smart but ump has to see that and get the game going again. They weren't changeing the call and play ball. One consultation fine but 2 is intentional delay on one call. Bad game management by ump..killed our MO not his fault that's smart get away with what you can get a way with but Ump has to see the situation for what it is

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:33 pm

WOW! Haskell beat Hawley 9-7

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:43 am

Aces - I asked about our coach talking to the umpire and the issue was the "look-back" rule. He claimed the girl took off, then returned to base while I pitcher was in the circle and therefore should have been called out. I guess the umps didn't agree and yes it did delay the game.

Typical Archer county softball battle again. I didn't feel either starting pitcher was at her best and felt both teams should have made pitching changes by the 4th or 5th inning. Bot teams were hitting the ball and I think we might have set a record for foul balls between the two teams. Audry Lopez worked a walk on a 17 pitch at-bat! I believe the difference in the end was Windthorst slappers were able to get on base to allow our big hitters to knock them in for runs, while Archer's slapper and bunters were not as successful. Archer hit some deep balls but the Windthorst outfield played outstanding and tracked down nearly all of them. Fun game as expected!

Our coach was interviewed after the game and stated he does not believe anyone goes undefeated in our district and he expects it to be real difficult to beat Archer City at their home field new time around. Either way, I expect yet another barn-burner!
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 am

AC left 10 runners on base - 8 of those were on base with 1 out in the inning. Ultimately we came up with the big outs and had the timely hitting. What a battle in the top of the 7th - bases juiced. Batter fouls off the first two pitches, fouls off the next 3 pitches, ball, fouls off another pitch and we finally get the strikeout on the 8th pitch of the at bat.

57 foul balls between the two teams according to AC play by play on Gamechanger

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:46 am

Agreed WindthorstFan; last battle between Archer batter (Howard) and Windthorst pitcher (Schroeder) was a good one. Thought any of those three fouls might have left the park, which would have tied the game. Luckily we got the out and the win. 57 foul balls...WOW! Think next game at Archer City we should suggest that BLUE wear two ball pouches so as not to delay the game waiting for returned foul balls. ;)

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:30 pm

Oh I understand the what he was arguing, and had a right too, however, my pt was after the first conference, that's it go back and play ball, they're not changing their mind. She didn't "take off' she did take 2 steps back towards 1st as she thought she was thrown out at 2nd. It would've been a ticky tacky call if they had made it. Both could argue their case; however, it was good gamesmanship by Hise; however, the ump lost some control at that point and he was pretty tight w/strike zone on both pitchers I thought. I agree w/ya, it's going to be tough to go unscathed in this district. We have got to lay off the high fast ball, it's not even a rise ball, but we keep chasing it. Also Windyfan is correct difference was that 5th we opened the inning w/2 errors on bobbles, plays that have to be made, I knew then we were in trouble that inning as you rarely get the lead off on an error and don't score at least one much less 2 errors . We didn't communicate on the bunt it wasn't a good bunt(too deep) and should've have been fielded cleanly. The second error was caused by a bobble to 3rd. Then ya'll came up timely hits which we couldn't do stranding as Windyfan pointed out way too many runners in scoring position. Can't do that and beat solid teams. But it was a fun game and all the fans were into it.

One things for sure no matter which 3 teams or in what order they fall come playoff time.. you better bring your sack lunch to beat'em. Seymour and P-town play a double header on Friday, that maybe worth going to. I "think" p-town maybe a little better but not if they don't get after it, Seymour will scrap. We should find out as we play P-town on Tuesday, hope girls are ready going to have to play good ball.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

You were ahead of me then as I had no idea what call Lonnie was arguing until one of the dads told me at the fish fry after the game. Agree it was a high fastball, not a riseball your girls were chasing. My opinion is that neither pitcher was throwing very hard (fast) or had much movement. Neither looked like they did last year; not sure what's going on there. Still think both teams should have made pitching changes by 4th or 5th inning as both sides batters were hitting the ball too hard for comfort. Both teams appeared even to me, just think we played a little cleaner on defense and getting the leadoffs on base was huge for us. Next game between us could go the other way easily.

We get Seymour Tuesday and the result of that game combined with your game vs P-Town should begin to see how district may shake out. Still a lot of softball to be played before we think about the playoffs.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:43 pm

AC scratched out a 7-4 win over ptown we were down 4-1 going into bottom of 5th, making some silly plays as of late, and as I predicted Seymour upset the apple cart by beating Windthorst I heard the score was 17-10, please correct me if I'm wrong.

have to agree neither had their best stuff part of that imo was blue was really squeezing the strike zone. Ya'll deserved it played a cleaner game defensively and had timely hitting. Against p-town we are still having trouble getting the leadoff on of each inning no matter who's up. I think we got the leadoff on once against ya'll and maybe twice tonight; however we did put up 4 in bottom of 5th 3 of them w/2 outs, so better not gripe to much.

Don't know how this district going to play out. One things for sure a pretty dang good team is going to be staying home. Should have more clarity Friday as P-Town and Seymour play a double header.
P-Town wins first game. First round finishes

Windy 5-1
AC 5-1
PTown 3-2
Seymour 3-2

Seymour wins first game

Windy 5-1
AC 5-1
Seymour 5-1
P-Town 3-3

P-Town is on the hot seat, they need the win bad. If Seymour wins first game that second is almost a must win for them, as you don't want to have to beat both AC and Windy to get in the playoffs.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:09 am

Acesful predicted Seymour would cause trouble in the district and that is exactly what happened last night when Seymour defended their home field by defeating Windthorst 17-10. Windthorst threw all three pitchers but it didn't matter as Seymour came to hit the ball. First pitcher struggled with control issues and after several walks, hits an an error loaded the bases; Coach Hise made a pitching change. First batter worked a 2-2 count and took a nice change-up down the middle but Blue called ball. Next pitch was change up down the middle and Blue called ball. I thought Coach Hise was going to pop a vein. Next pitch was to deep centerfield which was misjudged and allowed to go to the fence clearing the bases for a 3-run double. I really think that at-bat was the dagger in the heart for Windthorst. No walks but several hits and quite a few fielding errors allowed Seymour to increase their lead and Hise made another pitching change. Several more walks, hits and two errors eventually led to the 17-10 score. 27 runs combined but Seymour came through. Coach Hise had predicted no team would go undefeated in our district and he called it right. Good job by the Lady Panthers and we look forward to playing them again when they visit Windthorst. Windy and AC now stand tied with 5-1 district records.

Windthorst's last two district games are 4/21 vs Archer City and 4/24 vs Seymour. Anyone want to bet those will be close games?!

Wildaggie

Postby Wildaggie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:49 pm

Just curious...what velocity are these kids throwing out of this district?

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:02 pm

Nothing like you'd see at 6A :)) Top two for Windthorst, #2 for Seymour, #1 for Archer City can throw low 50s. Top two for Petrolia right at 50, #2 for Archer City and #1 for Electra at upper 40s and #1 for Seymour at 45 or so. The rest of the district throw less than 45

These are from my observations and my opinion only. I will note that I have been watching most of these girls since they were 10 years old so I am pretty familiar with them. Many have improved over last season but others have taken a step back; especially on movement pitches.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:49 am

Windthorst Trojanettes bounce back to take two games from Olney during last night's double-header. Won the first game in a 3-inning run-rule 15-0 victory and followed it up with a 15-5 win in game two. Trojanettes district record improved to 7-1 Games next week begin with a double-header vs Electra and end with a games vs Vernon Northside.

lynx

Postby lynx » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:17 am

Yes, the pitching is not that strong overall even in the higher classifications in that area. Another factor I believe is defense is not always that great. Lots of teams don't spend enough time on defense and work a lot on hitting. But as stated before it all starts in the circle...throw strikes and play catch....easier said than done.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:54 am

lynx wrote:Another factor I believe is defense is not always that great. Lots of teams don't spend enough time on defense and work a lot on hitting. But as stated before it all starts in the circle...throw strikes and play catch....easier said than done.

Boy you sure hit the nail on the head. Seen many a good pitcher who promotes ground balls and lazy pop flies (which is a good thing) and then her defense lets her down with dropped balls or over-throws Can really get a pitcher down when the defense doesn't back her up. It indeed starts in the circle but need all three (pitching, defense and hitting) to get to Austin.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:58 am

Windthorst Trojanettes are 7-1 in district play with a double-header at home today vs Electra and then host Vernon Northside on Friday.

hardrockers

Postby hardrockers » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:01 pm

8-2a standings update? I think Seymour needs help to get in the playoffs.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:34 pm

hardrockers wrote:8-2a standings update? I think Seymour needs help to get in the playoffs.

We were talking about this Sunday. Not sure of the records but know that Archer City has one loss (to Windthorst), Windthorst has one loss (to Seymour), Petrolia has two losses (Archer City, Windthorst), Seymour has three losses (Archer City, Petrolia, Petrolia). On the surface, Seymour needs the most help as they still have AC and Windthorst on the schedule. Windthorst plays Petrolia today, Quanah on Friday, AC next Tuesday, Seymour next Friday. AC still has Windthorst, Petrolia, Electra and Seymour to play. I would say there's still a lot of softball to play and nothing has been settled or eliminated.

My pre-season District 8-2A prediction (which I'm sticking with) was:
1) Windthorst
2) Archer City
3) Petrolia
4) Seymour
5) Electra
6) Olney
7) Quanah
8) Vernon Northside

hardrockers

Postby hardrockers » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:35 pm

Seymour has 4 losses, twice to AC

hardrockers

Postby hardrockers » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:35 pm

Seymour has 4 losses, twice to AC

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:03 am

With four losses Seymour has to win out to make the playoffs and hope that Archer City also beats Windthorst. If Windthorst loses out to Archer City and Seymour, then Seymour would get into the playoffs based on the 2 wins against Windthorst. Windthorst holds their destiny as if the win out against AC and Seymour then they would be District Champion based on two wins over AC.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:09 pm

#10 Petrolia took down #9 Windthorst 7-6 in a big district match-up. Windthorst bats were decent and the Trojanette outfield defense was spectacular as they kept Windthorst in the game snagging big hits by Petrolia batters. Petrolia hits three home runs and consistenly put the ball in play offensively. Windthorst coach stayed with the starting pitcher the entire game and in bottom of 7th it came back to get them. Started with two straight walks, a throwing error putting runners on 2nd and 3rd and then a wild pitch to score the winning run. Windthorst pitching depth is good and should have been used. Hopefully this is realized with big games vs Archer City and Seymour next week.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:36 am

Windthorst Trojanettes shut out Quanah last night, 15-0, with a combined no-hitter by Brooklyn King and Jenna Glawe. Windthorst plays tonight at Archer City in a game that could likely decide the district championship.

Seymour is hoping for a Trojanette loss, which would then setup a Friday winner makes the playoffs match-up with the Trojanettes in Windthorst. Love it when it comes down to the last week.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Well, Seymour got their wish last night as Archer City handed the Windthorst Trojanettes their third district loss with a 8-5 win. Archer City, with 1 district loss, pretty much wrapped up the district championship. Petrolia has 3 district losses and should finish no worse than second in district. Here's where it gets tricky: Seymour has four district losses but also has a win over Windthorst. If Seymour beat Windthorst Friday night, then both teams finish with four district losses and Seymour secures third place with two head-to-head victories and the Trojanettes (#10 in TGCA...so much for polls) miss the playoffs. If Windthorst wins, then Seymour is out and Windthorst ties Petrolia with 3 district losses each and a split on the head-to-head matchups. That would mean a one-game playoff to determine second and third place for playoff seedings. GO WINDTHORST!!

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:55 pm

Or they could flip a coin for 2nd/3rd. None the less Trojanettes need to protect their home field to make playoffs. That was the difference in the boys making the basketball playoffs was their road win at Petrolia and protecting their home court with the exception of Olney, who went undefeated.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:04 pm

I believe 2nd place leads to a more desirable playoff path so I would prefer to play for it. But first as you say, we need to defend the home turf and take down Seymour. Play as a team and everything should go fine.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:51 pm

District Certification is due Tuesday April 28th - so if we win in order to get a playoff game in would have to play Saturday or Monday. Bi-District has to be completed by Saturday May 2nd - so the teams may just choose to flip. Start looking at who is where in the bracket and you are liable to get beat. 3rd round match-up would be AC or Hawley on either side of the bracket as winners of D7 and D8 are on opposite sides of the bracket. Road to the Regional tournament is going to tough no matter which side of the bracket you are on.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:07 pm

Curious how has P-town got 3 losses?

1 to Windy

1 to AC

who is the 3rd and if that's the case yes my Ladycats are District Champs, however if not match-up Friday..AC wins they are District Champs, if P-town wins then, AC and Ptown finish co-champs and have game for seeding.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:11 pm

Curious how has P-town got 3 losses?

1 to Windy

1 to AC

who is the 3rd loss too? and if that's the case yes my Ladycats are District Champs, however if not match-up Friday..AC wins they are District Champs, if P-town wins then, AC and Ptown finish co-champs and have game for seeding.

I think either Seymour or P-town got beat by Electra I don't know which one.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:19 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:District Certification is due Tuesday April 28th - so if we win in order to get a playoff game in would have to play Saturday or Monday. Bi-District has to be completed by Saturday May 2nd - so the teams may just choose to flip. Start looking at who is where in the bracket and you are liable to get beat. 3rd round match-up would be AC or Hawley on either side of the bracket as winners of D7 and D8 are on opposite sides of the bracket. Road to the Regional tournament is going to tough no matter which side of the bracket you are on.

Coaches don't look down the road at brackets, just some of fans. ;)

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:21 pm

acesfull wrote:Curious how has P-town got 3 losses?

1 to Windy

1 to AC

who is the 3rd and if that's the case yes my Ladycats are District Champs, however if not match-up Friday..AC wins they are District Champs, if P-town wins then, AC and Ptown finish co-champs and have game for seeding.

My mistake. Friend of mine said Petrolia had three losses but he was counting AC beating the Lady Pirates twice already.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:26 pm

I think Electra beat Seymour which if that's the case

Seymour would be out win or lose Friday against Windy because they would already have 5 losses, 2 to AC, 2 to P-Town , and 1 to Electra

AC goes 1 or 2 anyway you shake it

Windy and P-town could have a seeding game for 2nd and 3rd assuming AC wins Friday.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:29 pm

You are correct - Petrolia only has 2 losses

Re Electra that is news to me - can't find any results on that other than Petrolia beating them 13-1 and 11-2, Seymour beat Electra 11-0 last night TRN shows their record at 9-4.

lynx

Postby lynx » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:57 am

Playoff Teams out there are Region 4
District 25
Evadale
Hull Daisetta
Sabine Pass

District 26
North Zulch
Burton
Iola

District 27
Thorndale
Holland
Milano

District 28
Shiner
Weimar
Ganado

District 29
Harper
Sabinal
Center Point/Johnson City

District 30
Charlotte
Falls City
Kenedy

District 31
Three Rivers
Port A
Woodsboro

District 32
Benavides
Rivera Kaufer
?

hardrockers

Postby hardrockers » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Electra did not beat Seymour, Seymour has 4 losses currently, 2 P-Town and 2 to AC

Seymour played poorly against Electra both times, but both were wins. That Electra squad in my opinion is close to being a contender, seems to be a severe lack of confidence, which causes most of their problems fielding wise.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:25 am

Seymour at Windthorst game tonight has been moved to the Henrietta turf fields at 7:00 PM. Winner makes the playoffs and loser is out.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:49 pm

Windthorst defeated Seymour 11-8 Friday night to capture third place in district and a playoff spot. Seymour's Maggie Slaggle started things off with a home run to go 1-0 but the Trojanettes scored 4 runs to go 4-1 after one inning. Windthorst would lead 5-1 in the fourth when Hannah Rivers would homer to close it to 5-4. Windthorst would erupt the next inning to take an 11-4 lead. This remained until the top of the 7th inning when Seymour would add 4 runs to make it 11-8. Cy Schroeder was relieved with 1 out by Brooklyn King who was able to get the final two outs to end the game and Seymour's season. Most likely the Trojanettes will face either Hawley or Haskell in the Bi-district round.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:53 am

Stamford upset Hawley 3-1 last night, therefore we will have a great Bi-district matchup between #9 Hawley and #12 Windthorst.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:40 am

AC and P-Town coin flipped for 1 and 2

P-Town won flip goes as 1 seed

AC opens w/Albany Thursday in Graham I believe.

Let the games begin.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:04 am

I see Windy and AC advancing out of first round. Second round for AC cld be a good one w/Ozona we shall see.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:58 am

BI-DISTRICT SOFTBALL PAIRING:
#9 Hawley vs. #12 Windthorst
Game 1: Thurs, 6 PM, at Hawley
Game 2: Fri, 8 PM, at Windthorst
Game 3: Sat, TBD

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:39 pm

In another match-up of D7 v D8 - Haskell and Petrolia will play in Windthorst Friday at 5.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:35 pm

That above has got to be considered not a good decision...LOL. You're going to play someone in your own region, seriously when you may meet them in 2-3 weeks? WOW!

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:37 pm

Ac wins first game 8-7 in 8 innings. Looked like we were goong to cruise up 6-0 after 2 then we aided a 4 run Albany 3 rd w 2 errors them answered w 1 making it 7-4. Then turned into a bit if a picther duel as both pitchers allowed some base runners but neither cld draw blood till the top of 7th when Albany down 7-4 1st batter popped up for 1 away then Albany hit a blooper to lft for a runner and walked nxt batter base hit wld make it 7-5 w runner on 1st then walked a batter grounder to 2nd gave Ac 2 outs w runners at first and second the big hit to lft gap to tie it up. Ac wasn't able to answer. El Hilbers came in to pitch in top 8th and did a great job given up a call walks but 2 strike outs and a pop up retired the side. AC leadoff came up, Ashtyn Wuthrich, to start the 8th first pitch was a walk off homer hitting the middle of the scoreboard at Jacksboro. A no doubter when it lft the bat ..and that was the ball game

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri May 01, 2015 11:37 am

I applaud your coach making the pitching changes when needed or just as a change of pace. It can really throw off the opposition having to readjust at the play to a new arm. Congrats on the win!

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Sun May 03, 2015 9:05 am

AC S BATS woke up in a big way in top of 4 putting up 13 in 4 at bats including 2 yard balls to finish Albany 13-2. Our pitchers did a great job keeping us in it early until the sticks came alive holding Albany by my acct to just 2-3 hits. Did walk a few as blue was consistent but very tight strike zone

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed May 06, 2015 3:07 pm

.....Removed for content.....

You can't post rants against coaching on the board....

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Sat May 09, 2015 12:24 am

AC run rules Ozona behind Wuthrich no hitter..10-0. She was unhitable tonight. 1 hit batter and a walk prevented a perfecto. Ozona only put ball in play 5 times.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon May 11, 2015 8:51 am

WindthorstDad wrote:.....Removed for content.....You can't post rants against coaching on the board....

More of a complaint than a rant but I'll go along with you and instead just state facts.

Pitcher, allowed 17 runs in two games - no pitching change made, team defense made 8 errors in two games - no defensive changes made.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon May 11, 2015 8:53 am

acesfull wrote:AC run rules Ozona behind Wuthrich no hitter..10-0. She was unhitable tonight. 1 hit batter and a walk prevented a perfecto. Ozona only put ball in play 5 times.

What a great time for Wuthrich to be hitting her stride! I was worried how she'd come back from ACL surgery but looks like she's on top of her game. Good luck to AC!

Return to “Texas Softball”