Collinsville unable to overcome a reunified Germany @ Region

Hitting the gym Baby!!!
cowboyz

Collinsville unable to overcome a reunified Germany @ Region

Postby cowboyz » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Haha! Great season Pirates. First ever to make it to regional finals. I know the schedule said Muenster but the coach and two of the starters looked an awful lot like people that were at Lindsay last year. Heckuva hire by muenster and just a bit too much size for the Pirates this time. Good luck to the Hornets at state.

friday nite x

Re: Collinsville unable to overcome a reunified Germany @ Re

Postby friday nite x » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:26 pm

two starters ..... 4 of their top 5-6 players plus a coach. I think it should say Muenster Consolidated or Lindsay#2

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:40 pm

Wow - couldn't beat them on the court or field, so you have to talk all derogatory towards them. I noticed it got pretty bad on Twitter as well. Of course what was being said there won't be tolerated here.

cowboyz

Postby cowboyz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:28 pm

I fail to understand what's derogatory about the truth. Looking at year over year rosters it appears that indeed 4 of the top 7 scorers at Muenster were at Lindsay last year, including the leading scorer. If more than half your team transfers in, in one year expect your opposition to take notice, if it was your opponent you'd probably crack a joke or two yourself. Heck, you might not even find it that humorous.

So in your opinion having 4 of your statistical top 7 basketball players transfer in one year is not noteworthy?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:07 pm

Are you allowed to work wherever you please? Coach saw an opportunity to better himself and left one school and went to another. He took his two sons with him - can't blame him there. Are you counting one of the freshmen as a transfer?

cowboyz

Postby cowboyz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Just counting kids that were at Lindsay last year now playing for Muenster varsity basketball. I don't believe anyone stated anyone was cheating and of course you can go work wherever you want and schools are certainly entitled to hire coaches with athletic kids (as Windthorst can well attest with Coach Green). What triple A academy did last year was perfectly legal as well. You still haven't answered either of my questions. One being, why is bringing up a fact without any accusations or hyperbole 'derogatory' and secondly when more than half your primary players were playing for another school last season would you not find that noteworthy?

I just bet if Windthorst lost a football game in the regional finals to a team where 5 or 6 of the offensive starters including star players had transferred in that season from another school someone would at least point out the oddity of it. Is that not the sort of thing message boards are for?

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:11 pm

This story is interesting. I have family in Lindsay, one a school board member, and plan to give them a call. I'm curious how with a good coach, good players and a state ranking last year, what situation led to him to leave for Muenster. Both being 1A, I doubt Muenster could offer a significant pay raise.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:47 am

Maybe coach wanted shot for his sons at a title. Happened before. Barnes at Paducah originally played for Eula his dad transferred him and his son after his soph yr. Paducah won the title they wld have won it anyway but believe his dad just saw an opportunity for his son. His dad became the girls coach. They weren't there long either. Also he went on and had a decent college career at UTEP.

Not saying this is why bit maybe an opportunity w what muenster already had in place. Really believe Mumford who has been beat last 2 yrs in finals will bring it home this yr.

I don't have a problem w it. We do many things for our kids

One of the greatest football coaches in Texas did it as well GA Moore went from pilot point to celina with his son Don and he lived in Mustang

cowboyz

Postby cowboyz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:43 am

Definitely Aces, coach has a great setup at Muenster brought his two kids and two other good basketball talents from Lindsay plus the shelves were already well stocked at Muenster. I don't think the expectation is a title this year although they have a shot as two of the Lindsay kids who are getting lots of time are Freshmen and all may be underclassmen, but I'd go ahead and pencil them in for deep playoff runs and state appearances over the next 4-5 years. I said in my original post it was a great move and hire and obviously the other kids from lindsay that came was all above board as well since they were eligible for play this year. It's like I told WTF, it's a free country you can move wherever you want for whatever reason, but when over half you key players transfer in, in one year people are free to talk about it as well just like people talked about triple A last year. At least I'm consistent. It's just good natured ribbing, they'll get their basketball success, I'll get to refer to them as reunified Germany. All anyone will remember are the playoff runs and titles when all is said and done.

Lindsay is the one who really lost in the deal and I don't see them complaining. They went from district champ of all underclassmen last year set to bring back everyone to not even getting out of district because all their players moved to Muenster.

Anyways, this dead horse has been beat enough by me until next year when I can report on the next chapter in reunified Germany's success.

friday nite x

Postby friday nite x » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:27 pm

There is nothing derogatory towards them. If you go back and look at their game with Alvord those 4 boys scored 70 some odd points out of 86. I have no dog in the race to have lost to them. I just see this issue as a major problem with the UIL set up. As far as them bringing in 4 players and a coach ..... it is no difference than the charter schools other than they bypassed the standards. 2 are the coaches sons the other 2 left Lindsay and protested to be able to play because of how bad the Catholics treated them. The Catholics were so horrible that you go the rival Catholic town to play. There were plenty of other schools without religous ties to choose from if that is the real reason you are using to play. There mother is rumored to be on the teaching staff at Era. And I would say anything short of state title this year is not okay for them. This team was built to challenge Triple A Academy.

I don't know the coaches number exactly but he is pulling $60,000 +

HORNETdad

Postby HORNETdad » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:00 am

Alvord game we still had our boys in football and had to pull two kids that didn't play much to make a basketball team... This team wasn't built to challenge triple a... This is ridiculous . Coach was there for two years.... Wasn't like he was a lifer there.... This had nothing to do about religion.... They are catholic themselves ....lol....They had a problem with the ad there as many others do I hear... And as far as money.... It's public knowledge ... I don't think it's that high but you can look it up on our school website

friday nite x

Postby friday nite x » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:00 am

No your right to say it has nothing to do religion. That is the excuse given to the district comittee to get them approved to play though. For some one who just coaches basketball and a little track I would say it is a lot of money. As far as the AD goes I do not think you can transfer and play just because you do not like the ad.

HORNETdad

Postby HORNETdad » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:05 am

So how many transfers has Lindsay had from gainesville over last ten years that were athletes? A whole bunch. It happens ... It's not like they made our team... Neither one starts on the basketball team and only one plays football and he didn't play that much either. The freshman has started but hasn't since Cheaney came back from his knee injury...

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:51 pm

friday nite x wrote:There is nothing derogatory towards them. If you go back and look at their game with Alvord those 4 boys scored 70 some odd points out of 86. I have no dog in the race to have lost to them. I just see this issue as a major problem with the UIL set up. As far as them bringing in 4 players and a coach ..... it is no difference than the charter schools other than they bypassed the standards. 2 are the coaches sons the other 2 left Lindsay and protested to be able to play because of how bad the Catholics treated them. The Catholics were so horrible that you go the rival Catholic town to play. There were plenty of other schools without religous ties to choose from if that is the real reason you are using to play. There mother is rumored to be on the teaching staff at Era. And I would say anything short of state title this year is not okay for them. This team was built to challenge Triple A Academy.

I don't know the coaches number exactly but he is pulling $60,000 +

uh...they still wouldn't challenge Triple A...sorry but true...they better worry about Mumford most likely, they will be all they can handle

HORNETdad

Postby HORNETdad » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:05 pm

Grape land will be all we can handle..... I honestly believe we will fall short in the morning..... I think their speed will get us..... And IF we happen to get by them Mumford will win.... Mumford I think wins state by 15+ whoever they play.... They are studly.... They beat a playoff 3a school Madisonville by 55...... Not a misprint 98-43..... That's good

cowboyz

Postby cowboyz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:42 pm

Does Grapeland have any big guys to slow down your rebounding under the basket?

I agree with you on Mumford. Yall have a good, big team with a div 1 football player playing basketball. They have a good, big team with a div 1 basketball player playing basketball.

cowboyz

Postby cowboyz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:29 am

Game is streaming on foxsportssouthwest.com Click on the UIl banner.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 am

Grapeland has good size for 1A team - 6' 5, 6' 4, and 2 6' 3 guys on their roster

If streaming is blocked at your place of work or school you can follow here as well: live scoreboard

www2.uil.utexas.edu/tournament-results/basketball/xlive.htm

HORNETdad

Postby HORNETdad » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12 am

Where is Patrick walker playing college ball at next year?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 am

HORNETdad wrote:Where is Patrick walker playing college ball at next year?

I couldn't find where he committed to anyone.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:01 am

Muenster holds on to win 65-64 despite shooting 8 of 15 from the free throw line.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:01 am

Great Game! Congrats Muenster
Last edited by acesfull on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

HORNETdad

Postby HORNETdad » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:07 am

I heard d1 somewhere but I saw he's been all state last 3 years ... That kids good

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:13 am

HORNETdad wrote:I heard d1 somewhere but I saw he's been all state last 3 years ... That kids good

yes he is, kept them in it, however, Muenster had problems w/full court press, yet the difference is the boards, Grapeland got killed on the boards, very few second chance opportunities and Muenster had several

dogfan1
Administrator

Postby dogfan1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:14 am

Congrats Muenster!

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:20 am

HORNETdad wrote:I heard d1 somewhere but I saw he's been all state last 3 years ... That kids good

Rivals had a page for him but did not list any schools. I couldn't find him in the Scout database or 247 database.

cowboyz

Postby cowboyz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:50 am

6 points in first quarter for Mumford and very dissappointing rebounding. Muenster's odds looking better from what I've seen.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:04 am

Mumford only shootin 20.7% in first half but only trail by 6. I noticed Muenster defeated Smyer earlier in the year 53-45, but there is still a lot of basketball to be played in the Mumford-Smyer game, afterall Muenster lead by 13 with 2:31 left in the 3rd and barely hung on to win.

cowboyz

Postby cowboyz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:11 am

True, and my knowledge of basketball is very limited. I just expected a more dominating eyeball test after a quick look at their scores this season. All it takes is one big run to break these things either way. Muenster got theirs 3rd quarter this week (although they almost gave it up at the end).

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:32 am

Mumford on 7-2 run to start the 4th to take 4 point lead with 5:40 left to play. timeout Smyer.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:36 am

Mumford pulling away 49-41 with 3:08 left

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 am

Mumford wins 59-48. Mumford only committed 3 turnovers in the game while Smyer committed 16.

HORNETdad

Postby HORNETdad » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:54 am

I feel much better about game Saturday...... I didn't say confident .... Just think it will be a better game than i thought ...but I do reserve the right to change again once pregnant starts!! :)

cowboyz

Postby cowboyz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:57 am

HORNETdad wrote:I feel much better about game Saturday...... I didn't say confident .... Just think it will be a better game than i thought ...but I do reserve the right to change again once pregnant starts!! :)

Once the pregnant starts? =)) I thought we were talking basketball here!

Should be a great game though. I think you guys will still have a nice rebounding advantage but going to have to protect the ball.

HORNETdad

Postby HORNETdad » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Pregame.... Wth.... I don't know how spell check changes that. Yes they will be tough

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:04 pm

HORNETdad wrote:I feel much better about game Saturday...... I didn't say confident .... Just think it will be a better game than i thought ...but I do reserve the right to change again once pregnant starts!! :)

What would worry me if i'm Muenster is the following

Mumford 1st half shot 20% and only down 2 buckets at half

Mumford despite only shooting around 35% for the game won by double digits(They usually average 50%)

Despite a height and weight advantage w/the 6'6" Fowler, Mumford out rebounded Smyer in second half

Mumford didn't play well fist half at all and still won going away.

Keys to game for Muenster to pull upset..imo:

Muenster has to get inside game going if they're forced outside, Muenster A, is not an outside team, and B long rebounds turn quickly into transition pts for Mumford, who has a distinct speed advantage. must keep to a half court set type of game, they get into running game w/Mumford it's over

Muenster must not melt under the pressure Mumford will apply on Defense, Grapeland dang near pulled it off w/the full court pressure. Up and down is not Muensters game, ball handling looked questionable towards the end. Must take care of the ball better than they did against Grapeland, Mumford is more fundamentally sound than Grapeland and your not going to get near the second chances, they block out better and great help defense. Big men need to keep ball above their heads on rebounds and going up, Mumford's guards great a stripping and going the other way quickly, made a good adjustment at half on the Fowler kid

Muenster either has to play a zone or have great help defense for #4 and #10 of Mumford, too athletic and they didn't play great today. Although 4 hit a different gear in 2nd half

Muenster has a height advantage but #10 goes 6.5 and 4 goes 6.4, so Mumford not small down low and 4 and 10 can take you from outside, match-up problem if you go man, pull your bigs out from under the goal and drive by, or don't come all the way out they can drain it.

Who's the kid no one thought about that steps up and has game of his life.

Going to be interesting I'll say Mumford doesn't shoot 20% again and takes the nets down by 12

TEMPO will be every thing.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Mumford shot 20 % in 1st half 60% in second half. What kept it close in first half Mumford got to the FT line 8 times making 6 for a neat 75%. Smyer didn't light it up from the field 12-29 41% in first half and 9-24 37.5%. Mumford scored 21 points from the FT line to Smyer's 4. If you make FTs at the end of a game, it can appear to be easy win (10+), Muenster didn't hit FTs at the end and it nearly cost them.

Muenster had 12 pt lead with 5:41 left in game, 7-0 run to cut lead to 5 ended with a FT with 3:48 left, could have pushed lead to 7 but missed FT. On the ensuing trip down the floor - following 2 Grapeland offensive rebs, a 3 pointer cut the lead to 4 with 3:16. 4-0 run for Muenster extended lead to 8 with 2:22, but 9 seconds later a lay-up cut lead to back to 6. Muenster missed front end of 1-1 and Muenster committed a foul to put Grapeland on line with 1:30 left. Grapeland made only 1 of 2 to cut lead to 5.

Almost wonder if Grapeland waited too long to start fouling. They missed a 3 pt with 2:04 and did not foul until the 1:47 mark, which was their 4th team foul. Did not commit their 7th until 1:31. Think they would have liked those extra seconds at the end with the way Muenster was missing FTs?

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:30 pm

well I missed the percentage by 5% overall said around 35%, I didn't have the numbers.

You kinda knew Mumford was going to win, it was just a matter of when they were going to wake up. Kinda played around a little too long. Smyer was not impressive to me other than the big kid, he could play.

I though Grapeland didn't full court press enough, it was evident they were much quicker than Muenster and caused problems when they pressed full court...imo. On the fouling too late, you never know, couple turnovers wo fouls and different game. And in the end they had 2 great looks to tie.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Congrats to Muenster on a great year

Return to “Texas Basketball”