District 10 Div I Basketball

Hitting the gym Baby!!!
WindthorstDad

Re: District 10 Div I Basketball

Postby WindthorstDad » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:16 am

Windthorstfan wrote:Petrolia 73 Windthorst 58

Jumped on us and never looked back

Petrolia's shooting was as good as I've seen in a long time. Floaters, 3-pointers, pull-up jumpers and free throws. Seems like they made everything. Dane Williams had 38 points but #1 & #24 were just as hot. Bet that between the three of them they missed less than 10 shots all night.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Rumor is we have a playoff warm-up game in Bowie (2PM) vs Chico. Let's see if the weather holds. :-)
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:51 am

Doesn't really matter anymore but I figured I would put the final standings and stats up.
uva uvam vivendo varia fit

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:21 am

TwoMarksHand wrote:Doesn't really matter anymore but I figured I would put the final standings and stats up.

Appreciate you keeping these posted throughout district. Been real nice to refer back to; good job!

Truly looking forward to the playoffs and hope our girls and boys go far. Our coaches have done a good job this year.

Closing Note: One parent mentioned the other day that our girls team will graduate 4 of 5 starters; whereas the boys return 4 of 5 starters. Hadn't really given it much thought either way but I'm excited for this year and figure Windthorst will reload again as they normally have done in the past. GO TROJANS & TROJANETTES!

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:27 am

The Archer City Girls won last night in double overtime against Mundy.

I think the final was 51-49.
uva uvam vivendo varia fit

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:45 am

Congrats to the Archer City Lady Cats. Windthorst Trojannettes play Poolville Friday @6PM in Jacksboro.

I heard Haskell beat Albany last night so that should mean the Windthorst Trojans play Albany Tuesday night. Site and time TBD.

Archer City boys should play Haskell, probably Tuesday site and time TBD.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:02 pm

Lady Eagles play Windthorst Tuesday in Dublin at 6:00.
Defense wins Championships!

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Eagle 1 wrote:Lady Eagles play Windthorst Tuesday in Dublin at 6:00.

Should be a very competitive game between to good teams.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Well great! Just heard the Windthorst Trojans playoff game in Mineral Wells tomorrow has been moved up to 6:00 PM which is the same time our girls play in Dublin so now we can't watch both games. :-q

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:28 pm

WindthorstDad wrote:Well great! Just heard the Windthorst Trojans playoff game in Mineral Wells tomorrow has been moved up to 6:00 PM which is the same time our girls play in Dublin so now we can't watch both games. :-q

Would have been difficult to watch both games anyway as Dublin is about an hour from MW.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:35 pm

I was looking at Region 2 Division 1 playoff bracket and Muenster appears didn't make it. Haven't paid real close attention, what district were they in?

dogfan1
Administrator

Postby dogfan1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:31 pm

Always knew you were a gym rat. :))

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:52 pm

dogfan1 wrote:

That cld get bloody...lol

dogfan1
Administrator

Postby dogfan1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 pm

acesfull wrote:
dogfan1 wrote:

That cld get bloody...lol

=))

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:44 am

acesfull wrote:I was looking at Region 2 Division 1 playoff bracket and Muenster appears didn't make it. Haven't paid real close attention, what district were they in?

Muenster is in District 13 - they won district, Collinsville was 2nd and Valley View 3rd.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:15 am

Weird must have just missed it. Knew the y were good just cldnt find them

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:38 am

Good luck to both the Windthorst Trojans and Trojanettes in their basketball playoff games tonight.

Also, good luck to our neighbors in Archer City whose boys also have a playoff game tonight.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:59 pm

dogfan1 wrote:

Says the guy who "Just" happens to stumble on the basketball board. :))

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:17 pm

Windthorst defeats Albany 58-51 to pick up first playoff win since '99

dogfan1
Administrator

Postby dogfan1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Congrats Windy. Shut up E1

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:29 am

"My name is Bobby and I secretly love basketball. "
"Hello Bobby."

=))

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:41 am

Still riding the high from last nights 58-51 playoff victory over Albany. Started the game 10-0 before Albany called a timeout and finished the first quarter 20-8. The boys came out with purpose and although they appeared a bit tired at the end, they played defense and hit free throws to get the victory.

As WindthorstFan stated, this was the Trojans first basketball playoff victory since 1999. Hard to believe it's been that long but with these boys and our new head coach, I see good things coming. Not sure how deep we can go with Poolville, Stamford and Muenster all on our side of the bracket but we return 4 of 5 starters and our 6th man so the future looks bright.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:45 am

We haven't had much success in the playoffs when it comes to boys basketball. You look at the banners in the gym and the boys playoff advancement is pretty sparse. We have had a couple of highly competitive teams but have run into some tough first match-ups against "basketball" schools - ie no football. It is what it is.

Hit a few free throws and things might have been different back in those years. There has been a vast improvement in that category this year and probably put us over the top and into the playoffs as in past years those were lost opportunities.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:11 am

Dawgs need to get going again got thumped pretty good by wayer valley on warm up game. poolville is good return 4 of 5 from last yrs team and muenster wld be a cpl favs out of region rt now. Of course dawgs are the dawgs and have a way of turning it on

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:24 am

Poolville whipped us in the their tournament earlier in the year. They are the favorite definitely but we are a different team than when we were first trying to get our legs underneath us. We will have our work cut out for us.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:26 am

Yeah them muenster and dawgs make this bracket pretty tough. Top bracket seems little more balanced not as loaded..imo

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:28 am

We only had one full week of practice before playing Poolville, were starting different players than we have now and was just learning our new coaches system. Honestly, the new coach was also still learning who he had as players. I agree Poolville is the favorite but the Trojan team we have now can beat them if we play our game and hit our free-throws.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:31 am

acesfull wrote:Yeah them muenster and dawgs make this bracket pretty tough. Top bracket seems little more balanced not as loaded..imo

Talk about a loaded bracket on our side. Boys TABC poll as of 2/17/2014 list the following:

3) Muenster
5) Poolville
13) Stamford

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:28 pm

WindthorstDad wrote:We only had one full week of practice before playing Poolville, were starting different players than we have now and was just learning our new coaches system. Honestly, the new coach was also still learning who he had as players. I agree Poolville is the favorite but the Trojan team we have now can beat them if we play our game and hit our free-throws.

Well how bad did y'all get beat and I can ansr this ..10 pts maybe 20+ pts probably not generally just means they're better. But ya never know

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:31 pm

acesfull wrote:Well how bad did y'all get beat and I can ansr this ..10 pts maybe 20+ pts probably not generally just means they're better. But ya never know

Was beat by 31 points. Yes, maybe a long shot but then again I have always been the ultimate optimist. ;)

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:39 pm

WindthorstDad wrote:
acesfull wrote:Well how bad did y'all get beat and I can ansr this ..10 pts maybe 20+ pts probably not generally just means they're better. But ya never know

Was beat by 31 points. Yes, maybe a long shot but then again I have always been the ultimate optimist. ;)

Well that's a bunch ..lol. Maybe their bus will break down or they will have a 30% shooting night. Makes u feel any better assuming Stamford wins not real optimistic abt beating them either assuming y'all don't beat them...lol

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:48 pm

acesfull wrote:
WindthorstDad wrote:

Well that's a bunch ..lol. Maybe their bus will break down or they will have a 30% shooting night. Makes u feel any better assuming Stamford wins not real optimistic abt beating them either assuming y'all don't beat them...lol

One game at a time. Right now, we're concentrating on Poolville.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Both the girls and boys will be underdogs Friday but as we like to say - that is why you play the game. Games are played between the lines and not on paper. If we win we get another game to represent Windthorst in our journey, if lose we'll congratulate the winner and wish them well on their journey.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:32 pm

On the boys side, think it's finally Mumford's year. They're due been knocking on that door last 2 yrs. As far as underdogs part of it, and yes anything can happen but aka NC State over Houston, Villanova over Georgetown, Princeton over UCLA, so on so forth. Most on this board know games are won between the lines, and ya'll already played once between the lines was my point. Wish ya'll the best

We are out , so go get'em

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:15 am

Reviewed film on Poolville and they deserve their #5 ranking. They only have one tall player (6'3") but the remaining players are quick, drive the lane, grab rebounds, press well and can make shots off the dribble and drain the three. Big issue for us will be not wasting time on their press and getting the ball across mid-court. We need to feed our post and hit threes to open up our offense. To win this game we must control the glass and hit outside shots or our post game will not open up. Still a long shot but fully expect a great effort from our Trojans.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:26 am

Well, it was a heck of a ride but Poolville ended our season Friday night. Love that we have 4 of 5 starter returning and our top 3 subs plus our new coach was very good. May be one of the few years in Windthorst where basketball and not football was remembered.

Something one of the Dads mentioned was if our baseball team performs as expected, it may be the first time in many years that Windthorst Trojans won at least Bi-District in all three major sports (Football, Basketball and Baseball). Great group of guys and I wish them luck.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:12 am

I know basketball has been down for a few years, but don't see how football won't be remembered. Some great comeback wins starting with Munday, then Archer City, and finally Forsan. The beatdown of Quanah was a bit unexpected as well, expected a 4th quarter battle to the end.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:I know basketball has been down for a few years, but don't see how football won't be remembered. Some great comeback wins starting with Munday, then Archer City, and finally Forsan. The beatdown of Quanah was a bit unexpected as well, expected a 4th quarter battle to the end.

LOL, can't get nothing past you. What it should have said was this may be the one season basketball would be remembered as much as football. Successful on both sports and looking forward to more.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:32 pm

Well on the upside Triple was eliminated 59-58 by Lone Star in 3A, didn't make it to regionals. year to late but some if any justice was done

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:08 pm

Olney falls to Collinsville 61-50 as they were outscored 19-9 in the decisive 4th quarter. Olney used a 7-0 run at the end of the 3rd to cut the C'ville lead to 42-41 heading to the 4th.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:11 am

District 10-A All-District Honors

Special honors

MVP — Tanner Thompson, Jr., Olney

Offensive MVP — Dane Williams Fr. - Petrolia

Defensive MVP — Zach George Jr.- Windthorst

Newcomer of the Year — Case Caldwell Fr. - Archer City

6th man of the year — Derrick Self Sr. - Archer City

Coach of the year —Carl Pennington - Olney

FIRST TEAM

Ty Tucker Jr. - Archer City

Matthew Haehn Sr. - Archer City

Cooper Pulliam Jr. - Olney

Chandler King Jr.- Windthorst

Logan Veithenheimer So. - Windthorst

Michael Bishop Sr. - Electra

R. J. Melton Sr.- Electra

2nd Team

Evan Knoblach Sr. - Archer City

Bandy Mataska So.- Petrolia

Ryan Harrison Sr. - Petrolia

Zach Barton Sr.- Seymour

Ethan Guerra Jr.- Olney

Hayden Berend Jr.- Windthorst

Tyler Bowden Sr. - Electra

All- Defensive Team

Cesar Martinez So. - Seymour

Bandy Mataska So. -Petrolia

Tracey Jones Jr. - Olney

Markeis Lee So. -Electra

Regan Bates Jr.- Archer City

Brady Berend Sr. - Windthorst

HONoRABLE MENTION

Jadon Lane Jr. - Petrolia

Avery Blagg Jr. - Windthorst

Xavier Waggoner Fr. - Electra

Robert Colgan Jr.- Olney

Lane Spivey Jr. - Olney

Davis Carter Sr- Seymour

Cody Adams Sr- Seymour

Academic All-district

Archer City — Kelvin Green, Matthew Haehn, Garrett Morris, Evan Knobolch, Landon Cox, Case Caldwell, Ty Tucker.

Windthorst — Brady Berend, Garrett Steinberger, Kalbe Greshan, Chandler King, Logan Veitenheimer, Garrett Syrus.

Electra — R.J. Melton, Treyce Cook, Markeis Lee, Drake Cooper .

Olney — Tracey Jones, Lane Spivey, Cooper Pulliam, Robert Colgan, Tanner Thompson, Bailey Zwerschke.

Petrolia — Ryan Harrsion, Brandon Shipley, John Mathews, Dane Williams.

Seymour — Zach Barton. Cody Adams.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:23 am

I knew we were returning most of our team, but Olney returns quite a bit as well.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:56 am

Windthorstfan wrote:I knew we were returning most of our team, but Olney returns quite a bit as well.

Electra loses their top three players, Petrolia loses two, Archer City loses both post and Seymour loses their top three scorers. Olney and Windthorst basically return the starting lineups so it should be a battle again between these two. I felt like we had them through three quarter but we must maintain a lead and finish games vs Olney. If we fall behind, they surely will go to their stall to cause you to foul them and they shoot free throws very well. Hopefully, the Windthorst Trojans will thrive in their second year under Coach Rackley's program.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:55 am

WindthorstDad wrote:
Windthorstfan wrote:I knew we were returning most of our team, but Olney returns quite a bit as well.

Electra loses their top three players, Petrolia loses two, Archer City loses both post and Seymour loses their top three scorers. Olney and Windthorst basically return the starting lineups so it should be a battle again between these two. I felt like we had them through three quarter but we must maintain a lead and finish games vs Olney. If we fall behind, they surely will go to their stall to cause you to foul them and they shoot free throws very well. Hopefully, the Windthorst Trojans will thrive in their second year under Coach Rackley's program.

Wouldn't got to fast some of AC's best athletes are under classmen, aka Freshman and sophs that didn't play varsity this year. Freshman group is solid when they're all together w/Caldwell, never lost a game in jr. high. I know it's not the same but that group has good chemistry

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:51 am

It's one thing to win at the junior high level when you are playing by class. A highly skilled athlete can easily dominate. Once you get into varsity most schools take their best players from all classes and meld them into a team.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:It's one thing to win at the junior high level when you are playing by class. A highly skilled athlete can easily dominate. Once you get into varsity most schools take their best players from all classes and meld them into a team.

Duh windy do you not think I realize that, read the comment, I even say that; however talent is talent to some degree. Akas Stamfords last 2 state title teams only lost a whopping total of 2 games in Jr. High and that was this yrs sr's who lost to the same team twice in jr high. So sometimes it is a telling sign of things to come, may not meet the expectations totally but does have some merit.

I've watched Windy Volleyball for years, and guess what they dominate most years on Jr. High level as well, just an observation, seeing that they continue on winning in High school

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:55 am

acesfull wrote: Akas Stamfords last 2 state title teams only lost a whopping total of 2 games in Jr. High and that was this yrs sr's who lost to the same team twice in jr high. So sometimes it is a telling sign of things to come, may not meet the expectations totally but does have some merit.

Stamford doesn't win the state championship this year if they don't get a transfer student from Haskell 2 years ago for his junior and senior year.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:19 am

Windthorstfan wrote:
acesfull wrote: Akas Stamfords last 2 state title teams only lost a whopping total of 2 games in Jr. High and that was this yrs sr's who lost to the same team twice in jr high. So sometimes it is a telling sign of things to come, may not meet the expectations totally but does have some merit.

Stamford doesn't win the state championship this year if they don't get a transfer student from Haskell 2 years ago for his junior and senior year.

Shows what you actually know. He was a sr last year, graduated last year only played 1 year at Stamford and that was last year. Did he help last year , yes, was he the difference in a state title or no state title, uh not even close, matter o fact his best contribution was defensively as a corner, did add another option on offense, yes, was he the go to guy, no that Would have been Washington or Hagen last year and this year, Wimberly or Washington, WOW, that was a clueless statement if I've ever seen one. If you believe that go back to football school and get your facts straight, considering they won it this year w/o him or Hagen, so that dog don't hunt. The past 2 teams won it and wld have won it w/ or w/o a transfer aka This year is a perfect example.

Also Wimberly and Washington both home grown boys! Hagen & Ty were there for 8 yrs not exactly a transfer at the last moment...Get your facts straight. The rest of the team all home grown boys as well, including a great line of scrimmage that let Wimberly and Hutch do what they did. That statement is an insult to both title teams as it takes 11 on both O and D

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:31 am

My mistake - I had it my head that someone else transfered. I was incorrect.

dogfan1
Administrator

Postby dogfan1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:17 am

acesfull wrote:
Windthorstfan wrote:

Shows what you actually know. He was a sr last year, graduated last year only played 1 year at Stamford and that was last year. Did he help last year , yes, was he the difference in a state title or no state title, uh not even close, matter o fact his best contribution was defensively as a corner, did add another option on offense, yes, was he the go to guy, no that Would have been Washington or Hagen last year and this year, Wimberly or Washington, WOW, that was a clueless statement if I've ever seen one. If you believe that go back to football school and get your facts straight, considering they won it this year w/o him or Hagen, so that dog don't hunt. The past 2 teams won it and wld have won it w/ or w/o a transfer aka This year is a perfect example.

Also Wimberly and Washington both home grown boys! Hagen & Ty were there for 8 yrs not exactly a transfer at the last moment...Get your facts straight. The rest of the team all home grown boys as well, including a great line of scrimmage that let Wimberly and Hutch do what they did. That statement is an insult to both title teams as it takes 11 on both O and D
Do you feel better now? :))

Return to “Texas Basketball”