Regional Semifinal: Johnson City Vs. Flatonia

Shooting for the perfect game!
jon91

Regional Semifinal: Johnson City Vs. Flatonia

Postby jon91 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:41 pm

J.C. is coming into this one playing some good fundamental ball and seem to be peaking at the right time. Their defense and pitching has been stellar so far in the playoffs with only 2 runs allowed in 5 games. Hopefully they can keep it up against Flatonia this week. I think the Eagles will give Flatonia a good series. Aside from being defending State Champs what does Flatonia bring to the table?

Game 1 Thursday, May 26
@ 7:30 @ Concordia University
11400 Concordia University Drive (Austin, TX)
Game 2 Saturday, May 28
@ 3:00 @ Concordia University
(If necessary)
Game 3 Saturday, May 28 30 minutes after game 2 @ Concordia University (Austin)

Philo Beddoe

Re: Regional Semifinal: Johnson City Vs. Flatonia

Postby Philo Beddoe » Wed May 25, 2016 10:43 am

Flatonia has 3 solid pitchers, none of them are fireballers that will blow you away, but they do a good job on the mound and their defense is very solid. That being said, their batting is what puts them over the top, they can hit 1-9, they don't miss bunts, they don't screw up on bases. They just put the ball in play and make you get them out. Against our Ace they only managed 5 hits and he held them scoreless, but our #1 is college material and not many teams score on him. They lost one starter from last year's club, of course he was their stud pitcher. I'm assuming JC must have some pretty good pitching just looking at their scores. We had a very good series with them this past weekend, just couldn't get a timely hit when we needed it in games 2 and 3, losing that series still stings.

jon91

Postby jon91 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:41 pm

Wow Flatonia sounds like a very solid ball club with a lot of experience. They kind of remind me of JC.'s 2011 state championship team with all the solid hitters and great pitching depth. I definitely wouldn't want to go 3 games with them. I'm really hoping the Eagles can maintain the level of play they have been at so far in the playoffs throughout this series. The C.C. London team J.C. beat last round had a .408 team batting average coming into the series but were held to only 6 hits combined in 2 games. Flatonia will definitely be at a whole other level though, seeing that they have had a much tougher road in the playoffs. I think the biggest thing J.C. has going against them is that they are very young with only 2 Seniors on the team. It will be interesting to see how Eagles match up with them. Shiner's series with Flatonia could of gone either way. I was really hoping for a Shiner/J.C. rematch from the 2011 playoffs, but that's baseball for us. I'm sure Shiner will be back with another great team next year.

jon91

Postby jon91 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:28 pm

I'm really hoping the rain doesn't affect this series.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Wed May 25, 2016 2:41 pm

jon91 wrote:Wow Flatonia sounds like a very solid ball club with a lot of experience. They kind of remind me of JC.'s 2011 state championship team with all the solid hitters and great pitching depth. I definitely wouldn't want to go 3 games with them. I'm really hoping the Eagles can maintain the level of play they have been at so far in the playoffs throughout this series. The C.C. London team J.C. beat last round had a .408 team batting average coming into the series but were held to only 6 hits combined in 2 games. Flatonia will definitely be at a whole other level though, seeing that they have had a much tougher road in the playoffs. I think the biggest thing J.C. has going against them is that they are very young with only 2 Seniors on the team. It will be interesting to see how Eagles match up with them. Shiner's series with Flatonia could of gone either way. I was really hoping for a Shiner/J.C. rematch from the 2011 playoffs, but that's baseball for us. I'm sure Shiner will be back with another great team next year.

Yeah, I learned a long time ago you have to take some of those team batting averages as a reflection of the competition they play. We have a very strong District, Weimar was the #1 seed and they were no slouch, but apparently Big Sandy isn't either. Man that was a series in 2011, every time I drive into JC I see that sign that reminds me of what could've been, lol. We have a lease in JC, one in town, and one out by Sandy, we spend a lot of time up there. Flatonia will be tough to beat in a 3 game series, it's hard to beat 7 srs and 2 very good jrs.

jon91

Postby jon91 » Wed May 25, 2016 3:34 pm

I definitely see that 2011 series with Shiner as the unofficial state championship. I'm absolutely confident that if Shiner had taken that series they would of won the championship as well. They were no doubt the best team J.C. played in the playoffs. Shiner has one of the most consistent programs out there though, I wouldn't be surprised to see them up there in the next couple of years. Flatonia definitely has a special team, it is going to be a tough series for J.C. The Eagles will need the bring their A-game and play some flawless baseball. Hopefully the weather won't play a factor in this series.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Wed May 25, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks for the compliment, and to be honest, this team was a State or bust kinda team. This group of boys have won tons of games since the little league days, went deep into little league play every year. But, just couldn't get that one hit when we needed it, baseball is kinda cruel like that, some days the balls find the holes, some days they don't. The weather may play a little factor, but Concordia is a very nice turf facility, just be ready for the Flatonia fans, they are a spirited bunch, hats off to them.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed May 25, 2016 5:00 pm

jon91 wrote:The C.C. London team J.C. beat last round had a .408 team batting average coming into the series but were held to only 6 hits combined in 2 games.

First not knocking the JC pitching since you would not be in this round of the playoffs without outstanding pitching

Batting average at the 2A level is somewhat of an anomaly. I do not trust the numbers teams often publish as for one the caliber of pitching can often inflate a batting average and scoring can sometimes be head scratching as scorers score like it is T-Ball and even though Johnny hit it to the 3rd baseman and he botched the fielding that is often times ruled a hit. (London's scoring shows they had 8 hits in JC series to prove my point!!!) Looking at London's GC box score for their games against Refugio in district they were 8 of 43 for an average of .186 to recover from that to bat .408 the pitching in other games they must have been facing slo-pitch softball pitching!!

jon91

Postby jon91 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:02 pm

Yeah I hear they are very loud with the noisemakers and whatnot lol. J.C. will bring a lot of fans as well. Do you know if this game will be broadcasted on the radio online?

jon91

Postby jon91 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:39 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:
jon91 wrote:The C.C. London team J.C. beat last round had a .408 team batting average coming into the series but were held to only 6 hits combined in 2 games.

First not knocking the JC pitching since you would not be in this round of the playoffs without outstanding pitching

Batting average at the 2A level is somewhat of an anomaly. I do not trust the numbers teams often publish as for one the caliber of pitching can often inflate a batting average and scoring can sometimes be head scratching as scorers score like it is T-Ball and even though Johnny hit it to the 3rd baseman and he botched the fielding that is often times ruled a hit. (London's scoring shows they had 8 hits in JC series to prove my point!!!) Looking at London's GC box score for their games against Refugio in district they were 8 of 43 for an average of .186 to recover from that to bat .408 the pitching in other games they must have been facing slo-pitch softball pitching!!

I definitely agree, I'd say that goes for the majority of 2A. I don't think C.C. London was as good as their record indicated (24-6) but they were by no means a slouch. They played Refugio close during both of their meetings (0-3, 5-8).

jon91

Postby jon91 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:20 pm

Tomorrows game has been moved to 6:00 P.M. due to the chance of thunderstorms.

jon91

Postby jon91 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:17 pm

Flatonia takes game one 4-3. J.C. almost rallied in the top of the 7th but they ended up leaving a runner stranded on 3rd. The Eagles appeared to be affected by nerves early on in the game with many mistakes and pitching control issues. Once they settled in though they really shut down the Bulldogs, but unfortunately it was too little too late. The Eagles out hit Flatonia 6 to 5 and struck out 9 of their batters. This definitely a tough loss that stings for the Eagles. I think game one was a must win for J.C. due to Flatonia's pitching depth. It's going to be tough to go 3 games with them. Hopefully J.C. will be able to regain their composure after this loss for game number two. The Eagles number two pitcher has pitched very well throughout the playoffs but Flatonia will be the best he has seen all season.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Fri May 27, 2016 7:11 am

I will agree that game was a very important one for JC to win, of course the other team won Game 1 the last 2 series and Flatonia came back to win both, so maybe this is a good thing for JC, lol.

jon91

Postby jon91 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:40 pm

One can only hope lol. Maybe Flatonia won't play with the urgency they played with in their last couple of game twos lol. This is J.C.'s last year in 2A so another playoff run like this will be tough even with virtually all their starters returning next year. Not to mention they will be in a very tough district with Blanco, Lago Vista, Georgetown Gateway, and Comfort.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Fri May 27, 2016 2:42 pm

Gonna be one heck of a Regional Finals series, all these teams are so close, great pitching dominates this Region.

jon91

Postby jon91 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:34 pm

Philo Beddoe wrote:Gonna be one heck of a Regional Finals series, all these teams are so close, great pitching dominates this Region.

Yeah it's going to be fun. I think from top to bottom Region 4 is the best region this year.

jon91

Postby jon91 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:48 pm

J.C. loses game two in very similar fashion 3 to 4. The Eagles started off slowly but and just did too little too late, very tough loss. Great season Eagles. Good luck to Flatonia.

Return to “Texas Baseball”