Propose pitch count to UIL medical advisory committee????????

Shooting for the perfect game!
Bearcat77

Propose pitch count to UIL medical advisory committee????????

Postby Bearcat77 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:12 pm

High School.
Baseball coaches association to propose pitch count to UIL medical advisory committee, but coaches for state powers think current rules are working.
By Greg Riddle , Staff Writer.

"The executive director of the Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association, along with athletic trainers and doctors, will propose implementing a pitch count when they make a presentation to the UIL's medical advisory committee April 17 in Austin.

But coaches from two of the state's best baseball teams don't think a mandated pitch count is necessary because they already track the number of pitches and are careful not to overuse their pitchers.

"I feel like every kid is different," said Frisco Wakeland coach Barry Rose, whose team is ranked No. 2 in the state in Class 5A by the THSBCA. "Some kids can handle 100 to 120 pitches, and some kids don't need to go over 90, so it's hard to just agree with one kind of strict pitch count. Our freshmen and JV kids, I don't really ever want them throwing more than about 85 pitches in a game. Our varsity guys, early on in the season, we don't let them throw over 100."

UIL rules say that a high school baseball player can pitch an unlimited number of innings and throw an unlimited number of pitches in one game. If a player pitches in more than one game during a day, he is limited to 10 innings total.

"I think what's in place is working," said Coppell coach Kendall Clark, whose team is ranked No. 1 in the nation by MaxPreps.com. "I can't speak for all the levels of schools. There might be some guys that overpitch them and the count may be very, very high. I know at the 6A level, we take care of our guys pretty well, and that's across the board. I think most of us know that these kids have more baseball in them than just in their high school careers, so we keep an accurate count and take care of them."

THSBCA executive director Rex Sanders said the proposal to the UIL will call for a sliding scale based on a pitcher's age, with a ballpark of 110 pitches being the maximum that an 18- or 19-year-old would be allowed to throw in a game. Younger pitchers would have lower pitch counts, but Sanders said the exact numbers are still being discussed.

"Kids are throwing so much year round that they're not getting the rest that their body needs," said Sanders, a former coach at College Station A&M Consolidated High School. "The National Federation, I think, in the next two or three years is going to require all states to have some type of pitching regulation, which we already do, but probably not enough. For probably 95 percent of our coaches, it has been fine. Most of them already do it anyway. We're trying to get ahead of the curve before somebody that maybe doesn't know much about baseball comes in and arbitrarily floats some numbers out there."

Sanders said the proposal would include asking for a mandated number of rest days for pitchers based on how many pitches they threw. While the exact number hasn't been determined, Sanders said the ballpark would be three to five days of rest.

Coppell has five pitchers who have committed to or signed with Division I college programs -- a luxury most high schools don't have. Clark tries to spread the pitching load for two district games a week between four or five pitchers.

Clark said his pitchers are limited to about 20 to 25 pitches the first week of scrimmages, increase to around 35 the following week, raise it to about 55 for the first tournament and by the start of district play hope to be throwing 70 to 80 pitches a game.
According to Coppell's GameChanger box score, starter John Kodros threw 98 pitches in six innings before being replaced by a reliever in Tuesday's 1-0 win over Southlake Carroll. Clark said the only reason he left the LSU pledge in that long is because Kodros was throwing a no-hitter in the sixth inning.

"We try to stay below 100," Clark said. "I think they start to wear down when you get to 90 or 100, unless you're deep in the season and they've been pitching a lot."

Wakeland's pitching coach keeps track of the pitch count during games and consults with Rose after each inning. Baylor-bound Andrew Davis threw about 125 to 130 pitches in a fourth-round playoff game last season, and "that scared me a little bit," Rose said.

Rochester (Wash.) pitcher Dylan Fosnacht made national headlines in 2014 when he threw 194 pitches before taken out of the game in the 15th inning.
Grand Prairie's Kerry Wood threw 175 pitches while starting two playoff games in the same day in 1995.

Wood was the National League Rookie of the Year for the Chicago Cubs in 1998 -- the season in which he struck out a major league-record 20 hitters in one game. But he had three arm surgeries during a career that ended in 2012."

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-sc ... es-working

Bearcat77

Re: Propose pitch count to UIL medical advisory committee????????

Postby Bearcat77 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Coaches--whatta think ? :-? ?
Pitchers--whatta think ? b-) ?

Windthorstfan

Re: Propose pitch count to UIL medical advisory committee????????

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:54 am

Bearcat77 wrote:Coaches--whatta think ? :-? ?
Pitchers--whatta think ? b-) ?

I fall into neither of these categories but I think it is very important for a coach to know his staff and what each kid is capable of when the pitch count gets up there. Looking at pitch counts for teams from our district on game changer seems like the coaches do a decent job of limiting pitch count then again I do not know how throwing is being done between starts. About a week ago the Seymour pitcher threw 130 pitches in 7 innings against and has not pitched officially in a game. Petrolia's ace threw 105 pitches against us on 3/21 and didn't throw again until last night. Our pitcher's rarely reach the 100 pitch mark, I have only seen one kid reach that mark and the other pitcher has hit 75ish pitches a couple of times. I don't think there is an overuse problem in our district.

Return to “Texas Baseball”