2016 Baseball

Shooting for the perfect game!
User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:13 pm

hardrockers wrote:Monday in Henrietta, no matter who wins tonight I do believe. So by it being Monday, Barton or Mataska will probably be available either way. Loser of the second game gets Chico, which I don't think anyone wants really.

If Seymour wins no doubt Barton will be back on the bump come Monday. Not so sure about Mataska. When do the playoffs start?

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:17 pm

District 10 Standings
Chico 12-0
Perrin-Whitt 8-4
Olney 7-5
Alvord 6-5
Poolville 6-6
Graford 2-9
Bryson 0-12

Alvord - Graford were to play Tuesday but the weather was bad in the area. Alvord won first game 8-2. Alvord and Olney split regular season match-up with Alvord winning 7-4 and Olney winning 5-4.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:18 pm

Petrolia 10 Seymour 0 (5)

Seymour's defense was atrocious to say the least.

Any idea where the Quanah game will be played?

hardrockers
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:09 am

Windthorstfan wrote:Petrolia 10 Seymour 0 (5)

Seymour's defense was atrocious to say the least.

Any idea where the Quanah game will be played?


I believe it is being played in Henrietta(Don't ask me why....) on Monday.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:08 am

Henrietta's field is turf and there is a 70% chance of rain in Wichita Falls. Electra or Seymour would be equal travelling distance for both teams!!

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:56 am

District 26 had a 4 way tie for 2nd place with Burton, Iola, Mumford, and Snook all tied at 7-5.

Snook played Mumford and Burton played Iola in the 1st playoff round
Snook defeated Mumford 5-0 and Burton beat Iola 1-0

2nd place/3rd place game
Snook defeated Burton 4-3 scoring twice in the bottom of the 7th - winning run reached on a dropped 3rd strike

4th place game
Iola defeats Mumford 6-1

TEXASHOLDEM
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:05 am

29aa
JC 1st
CP 2nd
Harper 3rd
Ozona 4th
3 of these teams will surprise some teams come next week. Top 3 teams all have very solid number 1 pitchers

hardrockers
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:10 am

I feel sorry for the 1 seed that has to play against Mataska or Leija in the first round, that is not what you expect to see when you get to play against a 4 seed. Haha

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:20 am

hardrockers wrote:I feel sorry for the 1 seed that has to play against Mataska or Leija in the first round, that is not what you expect to see when you get to play against a 4 seed. Haha

Sure that #1 seed will be looking for a 3 game series. Most teams have at least one decent pitcher it's the quality of your 2nd and even 3rd guys that make a difference in a series. Petrolia struggles to score runs against good pitching and good defense. Quanah struggles against good pitching and at times their defense leaks. You can't give a decent team extra outs at this stage of the season and expect to get away with it.

hardrockers
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:09 am

Windthorstfan wrote:
hardrockers wrote:I feel sorry for the 1 seed that has to play against Mataska or Leija in the first round, that is not what you expect to see when you get to play against a 4 seed. Haha

Sure that #1 seed will be looking for a 3 game series. Most teams have at least one decent pitcher it's the quality of your 2nd and even 3rd guys that make a difference in a series. Petrolia struggles to score runs against good pitching and good defense. Quanah struggles against good pitching and at times their defense leaks. You can't give a decent team extra outs at this stage of the season and expect to get away with it.



You should watch the Petrolia-Quanah game. Both teams look significantly different there than they do against windthorst I think. The name on the front of the jersey messes with heads sometimes.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:43 pm

Either you can hit the ball or you can't the name on jersey has nothing to do with it. Barton was off a bit yesterday but his defense let him down on numerous occasions. Fielders have to make the play, make the throw, make the catch the name on the front of a jersey has nothing to do with that.

Seymour was terrible in the field - missed cut offs allowed Petrolia to take extra bases dropped fly balls - granted Mataska was on and Seymour has shown they can't hit decent pitching. Over half of Seymour's line-up (5) hit over .360 / averaged out to be .387 but in their 5 game skid to end their season though those players only hit .206 which helps to explain why they lost the last five then again they faced playoff caliber pitching and couldn't get it done.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:28 am

Olney defeats Alvord 8-5 to claim 3rd place in District 10

hardrockers
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Mon May 02, 2016 9:23 pm

Petrolia beats Quanah 7 to 4. Petrolia 1 base hit, 0 earned runs. Quanah 8 base hits, hit the ball hard. Quanah tagged out at home 3 to 4 times.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue May 03, 2016 10:38 am

hardrockers wrote:Petrolia beats Quanah 7 to 4. Petrolia 1 base hit, 0 earned runs. Quanah 8 base hits, hit the ball hard. Quanah tagged out at home 3 to 4 times.

According to Ptown's Gamechanger Quanah was tagged out at home 3 times - twice on attempted steals of home? The other time was a Fielder's Choice on a ball the pitcher fielded. The couple of highlights KFDX showed last night was of Quanah throwing the ball the field!! Passed balls allowing runners to move up. Not sure how you throw the ball away when the big Ptown kid is at the plate. The pitcher could have run it to 1st before the runner got there. He should have hit a single against us in our 1st match-up but we got the force out for a 9-3 groundout.

I noticed Petrolia didn't throw Mataska having thrown 2 day earlier. Will Quanah's ace be able to go on 3 days rest having thrown 135 pitches. You said only 1 hit, but PTown shows 6, but they also scored the error above as a hit. Walks are just as important as hits which Petrolia walked 5 times and ROE 2 others to go with their "6" hits so they had 13 baserunners, while Quanah had 11 baserunners. What you do on the base paths is just as important as what you do at the plate. Many of times I have seen my beloved Trojans make 1-2 innings of outs on the base paths.

You have to be baseball "smart" when it comes to running and where you are throwing the ball.

hardrockers
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Tue May 03, 2016 11:10 am

There was 1 attempt to steal home, a throw out from Mataska in center, and the other was a chopper hit to the pitcher that Quanah tried to score on.

To be honest, I am not sure they even put 6 balls in play. I'd have to look at our game changer. Quanah just didn't play very good behind the plate or on the right side of the infield.

Mataska did come in and close, gave up a couple hits and 2 runs, obviously had a 5 run cushion to work with when he came in though.

7th inning Quanah repeatedly tried to get the lead runner on balls in the infield, and failed. So that ended up being the difference in the game. 3 infield fielders choice errors. Young, make bonehead mistakes.

Was thoroughly impressed with how much better Quanah hit the ball. Just have to make the easy play on D.

hardrockers
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Tue May 03, 2016 11:15 am

Windthorstfan wrote:
hardrockers wrote:Petrolia beats Quanah 7 to 4. Petrolia 1 base hit, 0 earned runs. Quanah 8 base hits, hit the ball hard. Quanah tagged out at home 3 to 4 times.

According to Ptown's Gamechanger Quanah was tagged out at home 3 times - twice on attempted steals of home? The other time was a Fielder's Choice on a ball the pitcher fielded. The couple of highlights KFDX showed last night was of Quanah throwing the ball the field!! Passed balls allowing runners to move up. Not sure how you throw the ball away when the big Ptown kid is at the plate. The pitcher could have run it to 1st before the runner got there. He should have hit a single against us in our 1st match-up but we got the force out for a 9-3 groundout.

I noticed Petrolia didn't throw Mataska having thrown 2 day earlier. Will Quanah's ace be able to go on 3 days rest having thrown 135 pitches. You said only 1 hit, but PTown shows 6, but they also scored the error above as a hit. Walks are just as important as hits which Petrolia walked 5 times and ROE 2 others to go with their "6" hits so they had 13 baserunners, while Quanah had 11 baserunners. What you do on the base paths is just as important as what you do at the plate. Many of times I have seen my beloved Trojans make 1-2 innings of outs on the base paths.

You have to be baseball "smart" when it comes to running and where you are throwing the ball.



P-Town is going to be in trouble in the playoffs, from what I've seen they consistently struggle to even put the ball in play, against teams that don't let passed balls happen at the plate, thats a problem. I don't know much about Perrin, but I am going to go out on a limb and say they don't have Archer/Windthorst or even Quanah Ace level pitching.

Quanah gets Chico, so its an uphill climb even playing as good as they did against Seymour/Petrolia the second time around.

hardrockers
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Tue May 03, 2016 11:15 am

Windthorstfan wrote:
hardrockers wrote:Petrolia beats Quanah 7 to 4. Petrolia 1 base hit, 0 earned runs. Quanah 8 base hits, hit the ball hard. Quanah tagged out at home 3 to 4 times.

According to Ptown's Gamechanger Quanah was tagged out at home 3 times - twice on attempted steals of home? The other time was a Fielder's Choice on a ball the pitcher fielded. The couple of highlights KFDX showed last night was of Quanah throwing the ball the field!! Passed balls allowing runners to move up. Not sure how you throw the ball away when the big Ptown kid is at the plate. The pitcher could have run it to 1st before the runner got there. He should have hit a single against us in our 1st match-up but we got the force out for a 9-3 groundout.

I noticed Petrolia didn't throw Mataska having thrown 2 day earlier. Will Quanah's ace be able to go on 3 days rest having thrown 135 pitches. You said only 1 hit, but PTown shows 6, but they also scored the error above as a hit. Walks are just as important as hits which Petrolia walked 5 times and ROE 2 others to go with their "6" hits so they had 13 baserunners, while Quanah had 11 baserunners. What you do on the base paths is just as important as what you do at the plate. Many of times I have seen my beloved Trojans make 1-2 innings of outs on the base paths.

You have to be baseball "smart" when it comes to running and where you are throwing the ball.



P-Town is going to be in trouble in the playoffs, from what I've seen they consistently struggle to even put the ball in play, against teams that don't let passed balls happen at the plate, thats a problem. I don't know much about Perrin, but I am going to go out on a limb and say they don't have Archer/Windthorst or even Quanah Ace level pitching.

Quanah gets Chico, so its an uphill climb even playing as good as they did against Seymour/Petrolia the second time around.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue May 03, 2016 7:19 pm

hardrockers wrote:P-Town is going to be in trouble in the playoffs, from what I've seen they consistently struggle to even put the ball in play, against teams that don't let passed balls happen at the plate, thats a problem. I don't know much about Perrin, but I am going to go out on a limb and say they don't have Archer/Windthorst or even Quanah Ace level pitching.

Quanah gets Chico, so its an uphill climb even playing as good as they did against Seymour/Petrolia the second time around.


As far as I am concerned the playoffs are a bonus. That is one more time you get to lace up you shoes and compete for each other, your friends, your school, your town. Each game you win means you get one more game.

hardrockers
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Sat May 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Chico defeats Quanah 9 to 4 and 6 to 3. Leija was not able to pitch either game.

Idk if the Melton kid for Chico was just THAT good, but they sure didn't look like a top 10 team. A good team for sure, but would really struggle against a Windthorst caliber team.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon May 09, 2016 9:05 am

Melton was a stud when he was a sophomore. Losing a player of his caliber would be a tough blow for any team.

Our next playoff match-up is a tough one against Trenton. They are a perennial playoff team. They beat us in a 2008 3-9, 7-6, and 4-5. I expect another hard fought series. It will comes down to playing good defense and being able to scrape out runs with opportunity comes. They won a one game series against Sam Rayburn 2-1.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Windthorst, TX
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon May 09, 2016 10:30 am

In Region II the only district that advanced a 3rd or 4th place team was District 16, which swept District 15.

hardrockers
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Mon May 09, 2016 10:59 am

Windthorstfan wrote:Melton was a stud when he was a sophomore. Losing a player of his caliber would be a tough blow for any team.

Our next playoff match-up is a tough one against Trenton. They are a perennial playoff team. They beat us in a 2008 3-9, 7-6, and 4-5. I expect another hard fought series. It will comes down to playing good defense and being able to scrape out runs with opportunity comes. They won a one game series against Sam Rayburn 2-1.



They looked like a Seymour/Petrolia (Really even Quanah Comparison), without an ace pitcher. 3 decent pitchers from I saw, but not an ace for sure. Put the ball in play, but always in the air, not many line drives or hard hit grounders.

Quanah hit the ball well both games, just not strung together, always in bits and pieces. First game, walked too many batters to win a playoff game. Second game just looked defeated the whole time.

TEXASHOLDEM
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Mon May 16, 2016 9:53 am

Well our boys from CP pulled of the upset this weekend with a sweep of Riviera 4-2 & 12-4. Now on to face the big bad Refugio Bobcats. Our boys are playing good baseball right now just hope they can with stand the arsenal of Refugio.
Thursday at Wimberley at 6pm and Saturday at Three Rivers at 2pm.

User avatar
Philo Beddoe
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Shiner
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Philo Beddoe » Mon May 16, 2016 10:49 am

TEXASHOLDEM wrote:Well our boys from CP pulled of the upset this weekend with a sweep of Riviera 4-2 & 12-4. Now on to face the big bad Refugio Bobcats. Our boys are playing good baseball right now just hope they can with stand the arsenal of Refugio.
Thursday at Wimberley at 6pm and Saturday at Three Rivers at 2pm.


I wish I could've caught the game here in Shiner on Saturday to check you guys out, but you took care of business Friday, lol. I think the series between you two should be a good one, from what I hear, CP has some good pitching, and one stud. Refugio is set up for a 3 game series unlike last year. Should be a good one. Riviera came to Shiner earlier in the season and beat us twice, but to me there was a little asterick next to those 2 wins, they threw their top 2 and we threw our 3 and 4 guys.

User avatar
Philo Beddoe
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Shiner
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Philo Beddoe » Mon May 16, 2016 10:53 am

Shiner has a big 3 game series against our District rival Flatonia, they beat us both times we played this year, but we did our best to give them both games. Plus they have yet to face our ace in Condel, so we'll see what happens, but hats off to them for coming back strong after a 15-1 blowout in Game 1. That folks is why you play 3 games, usually the best team will find a way to win 2 games.

TEXASHOLDEM
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Mon May 16, 2016 11:07 am

we had a great time in Shiner Friday. People all over town were very kind and friendly. It was a great day for our kids, coaches, and fans. Game 1 was a great pitching duel with our #1 doing his thing finish with a 3 hitter and 12 k's bringing his total to 143 for the season. Game 2 was an awakening of the Pirate bats going off with 14 hits. Our # 2 pitcher had some control issues but finished with 10k's and 4 hits.


Return to “Texas Baseball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron