2015 Baseball Playoffs

Shooting for the perfect game!
MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

2015 Baseball Playoffs

Postby MrBob » Sun May 17, 2015 5:15 pm

So what are the 4 teams that you think will make it to the State Championship right now. Really all I know anything about is Region 4.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

TEXASHOLDEM

Re: 2015 Baseball Playoffs

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Tue May 19, 2015 8:52 am

It is a tuff region to get out of!!! Not sure who the front runner is yet. I would have to say Weimar should be. However there are still 8 pretty good teams left. Really not sure of the other regions however with Douglass out it's a wide open race for the Title

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:40 am

So I take it, Shiner beating Weimar this past weekend was a huge upset! Comanches weren't even in the top 25 of the last poll I saw.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Mon May 25, 2015 8:42 am

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:So I take it, Shiner beating Weimar this past weekend was a huge upset! Comanches weren't even in the top 25 of the last poll I saw.

I would not say it was a huge upset, because of Shiner's tradition and how tight the district was. I was a little surprised because Weimar had beaten Shiner in both district match-ups this year. Good Luck moving on.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed May 27, 2015 7:45 am

MrBob wrote:
ComancheAlumni06 wrote:So I take it, Shiner beating Weimar this past weekend was a huge upset! Comanches weren't even in the top 25 of the last poll I saw.

I would not say it was a huge upset, because of Shiner's tradition and how tight the district was. I was a little surprised because Weimar had beaten Shiner in both district match-ups this year. Good Luck moving on.

It always seems to be hard to beat a team three times in a season... I know we played Albany twice this year and won both times with sizable margins, but upon meeting them Thursday night, we did not play well and they did. So when Friday evening rolled around we had business to take care of and won two straight to advance in the playoffs. Hats off to the Albany Lions, they are a class team with a bunch of good kids. Congratulations to my Hawley Bearcats as they advance and face Stinnett - West Texas. I do not know much about West Texas other than they were the 2nd place team in their district, but they have to be a pretty good ball club to get this far. Good luck to both teams and Go Bearcats!!!! Hawley Rocks!
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Thu May 28, 2015 11:11 am

Shiner and Weimar's regular season games were both 1 run games, and we committed a few errors in each of them. I knew if we could just play a solid couple of games we could pull it out and we did. All 3 teams in District 28 are very solid clubs, we just played better ball when it counted. Gonna be a good matchup tonight with Refugio, a bunch of these same boys played in a little league sectional tourney 2 years ago against each other and that was a tight game with Refugio coming out on top. Our ace Condel is no slouch, he has pitched a lot of big games in his life and has been lights out so far in these playoffs. I really don't know what Refugio has, but I'm sure they'll be a formidable opponent. The Flatonia - Kenedy series should be an interesting one, they both have a stud pitcher they've been riding so far, curious as to what will happen in games 2 and 3 when the other guys have to step up.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu May 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Philo Beddoe wrote:Shiner and Weimar's regular season games were both 1 run games, and we committed a few errors in each of them. I knew if we could just play a solid couple of games we could pull it out and we did. All 3 teams in District 28 are very solid clubs, we just played better ball when it counted. Gonna be a good matchup tonight with Refugio, a bunch of these same boys played in a little league sectional tourney 2 years ago against each other and that was a tight game with Refugio coming out on top. Our ace Condel is no slouch, he has pitched a lot of big games in his life and has been lights out so far in these playoffs. I really don't know what Refugio has, but I'm sure they'll be a formidable opponent. The Flatonia - Kenedy series should be an interesting one, they both have a stud pitcher they've been riding so far, curious as to what will happen in games 2 and 3 when the other guys have to step up.

You are so right on the pitching... Pitching makes the team, whether it is Baseball or Softball. The big difference is that the girls can pitch back to back to back and use the same pitcher in a series if they are inclined to do so, whereas the boys have to count innings or pitches depending on the league. We are lucky that we have two really good pitchers and then we have about five more that are decent, so it certainly helps for sure. Another thing that makes small school baseball so awesome is that these kids have been playing together since little league, which is certainly the case for our boys at Hawley. Good luck to you all tonight and may you have a safe outing and not have to fight the weather.
Continued Prayers of Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie Go Bearcats !!! **== **== **== **== **==

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu May 28, 2015 1:05 pm

Here is a nice write up about our area schools still in the playoff hunt...

http://www.reporternews.com/columnists/ ... e_36014476

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Thu May 28, 2015 1:27 pm

You are so right on the pitching... Pitching makes the team, whether it is Baseball or Softball. The big difference is that the girls can pitch back to back to back and use the same pitcher in a series if they are inclined to do so, whereas the boys have to count innings or pitches depending on the league. We are lucky that we have two really good pitchers and then we have about five more that are decent, so it certainly helps for sure. Another thing that makes small school baseball so awesome is that these kids have been playing together since little league, which is certainly the case for our boys at Hawley. Good luck to you all tonight and may you have a safe outing and not have to fight the weather.[/quote]

I think that is our strength also, our 2nd guy can bring it too, he's undefeated on the year. Plus we have a lefty that does a great job when brought in to relieve. This whole team has played together since they were in t-ball and they won a lot of ball games over the years. I had the priviledge to coach these boys growing up, I knew they were a special group, and always felt like they would be playing at Dell Diamond one day. They are mostly Sophs. so hopefully by the time they are Srs. they'll make it there. Four great teams left in this Region, we'll see what happens.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Thu May 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Refugio has a good pitcher that will pitch tonight. Cole Van Ness shutdown Ben Bolt last week and has pitched good all year. I believe Shiner will be better than Refugio at almost every position, so I expect Shiner to win. But in a 1 game playoff, anything can happen. I believe the 1 game playoff benefits Refugio, but we'll see.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Thu May 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Yeah, I know for a fact your coach won the toss for the 1 game, lol. We shoot for 3 games every series, but it didn't work out.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Thu May 28, 2015 8:10 pm

I figured that. A one game playoff gives Refugio a chance, in my opinion. One game playoffs have hurt them in the past. We will see.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Thu May 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Final: Refugio 1, Shiner 0

Refugio Advances

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:37 pm

Yea I would say that one game worked out well for Refugio. Must have been a good game. Congrats Refugio

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu May 28, 2015 11:41 pm

Well it has been one heck of a day for the Hawley and Stinnett Boys... We started the day heading to Lubbock Cooper... Well due to all the rain and bad weather, that got quickly moved to Sundown, which was quickly washed out, so they tried to move to Brownfield, which was washed out at well... So low and behold they drove out to Hobbs New Mexico to play this game... I want to shout out a big thank you to our friends from across the stateline.

Hawley wins the first game of this series 6 to 3... Hot Dang... How bout them Bearcats.... Hawley Rocks !!!!

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Fri May 29, 2015 7:28 am

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:Yea I would say that one game worked out well for Refugio. Must have been a good game. Congrats Refugio

First off, congrats to Refugio, when you can't score a run you're just not gonna win the game. Our pitcher and defense did an excellent job allowing Refugio to only one run, but we just didn't hit the Refugio pitcher very well, and the couple of times we did, they went straight to somebody. We thought we got the lead with a 2 run double down the 3rd base line in the 6th, our coach and our fans thought the 3rd baseman touched it before it went foul, but unfortunately the ump saw otherwise. Just part of baseball I guess.

On the other hand, never saw the whooping Flatonia put on Kenedy coming, they beat them 11-0, this against the same pitcher that shut everybody else down, looks like a Flatonia-Refugio matchup is likely. I'm sure Refugio would be shooting for a 1 game and Flatonia a 3 game. Well no more baseball, time to head to the coast and catch some trout.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Fri May 29, 2015 7:42 am

It's always a good time to head to the coast and catch some trout. I had not seen the Flatonia/Kennedy score. Wow. Kennedy beat Refugio both of their district games this year, so yeah, I would think Refugio will try for another one gamer. Good Luck

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:19 am

Dang Philo, you got me all hyped up about getting back to the coast now lol.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Fri May 29, 2015 8:48 am

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:Dang Philo, you got me all hyped up about getting back to the coast now lol.

Lol, yeah my son texted me on the bus ride home last night, "Well Dad time to go bust some trout". Good luck to all the teams going forward, hard to get to this point, enjoy the ride!

Mudder

Postby Mudder » Fri May 29, 2015 11:54 am

"It always seems to be hard to beat a team three times in a season... I know we played Albany twice this year and won both times with sizable margins, but upon meeting them Thursday night, we did not play well and they did. So when Friday evening rolled around we had business to take care of and won two straight to advance in the playoffs. Hats off to the Albany Lions, they are a class team with a bunch of good kids. Congratulations to my Hawley Bearcats as they advance and face Stinnett - West Texas. I do not know much about West Texas other than they were the 2nd place team in their district, but they have to be a pretty good ball club to get this far. Good luck to both teams and Go Bearcats!!!! Hawley Rocks!"

Actually, the first time Albany played Hawley in Hawley, the Bearcats won 4-3. The second game was won by a good margin. Good luck to Hawley the rest of they way - can't believe you all had to go all the way to Hobbs last night!

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri May 29, 2015 2:11 pm

Mudder wrote:"It always seems to be hard to beat a team three times in a season... I know we played Albany twice this year and won both times with sizable margins, but upon meeting them Thursday night, we did not play well and they did. So when Friday evening rolled around we had business to take care of and won two straight to advance in the playoffs. Hats off to the Albany Lions, they are a class team with a bunch of good kids. Congratulations to my Hawley Bearcats as they advance and face Stinnett - West Texas. I do not know much about West Texas other than they were the 2nd place team in their district, but they have to be a pretty good ball club to get this far. Good luck to both teams and Go Bearcats!!!! Hawley Rocks!"

Actually, the first time Albany played Hawley in Hawley, the Bearcats won 4-3. The second game was won by a good margin. Good luck to Hawley the rest of they way - can't believe you all had to go all the way to Hobbs last night!

Yes it was so wild... I think it was just a classic case that the two schools were not going to let the weather win... They both wanted to play at all cost and play safely. Both schools were impressive in handling the whole situation. Thank you for your well wishes...

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:23 pm

I just read an article. Kenedy forfeited game 2 against Flatonia at 4pm. Here's the story.

http://mysoutex.com/bookmark/26671733-G ... -cancelled

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Sun May 31, 2015 8:30 am

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:I just read an article. Kenedy forfeited game 2 against Flatonia at 4pm. Here's the story.

I heard the story earlier. I do not understand why Kenedy conceded. It was not their fault that the game was being postponed. Strange.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun May 31, 2015 8:31 am

What an awesome day for the Hawley Boys Baseball Team, winning 17 to 6 and just exploding in the final inning to score 10 runs. Congratulations to the Hawley Boys and advanceing to the next round of the playoffs, it was such a great day to be a Hawley fan for sure.

The only bad thing in this game was a kid from West Texas got hit in the face with a pitch, I pray that he is doing okay. Hats off to Stinnett - West Texas on a great season.

Good luck Hawley boys as we advance to play Booker. Go Bearcats!!! Hawley Rocks !!!!

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun May 31, 2015 8:37 am

MrBob wrote:
ComancheAlumni06 wrote:I just read an article. Kenedy forfeited game 2 against Flatonia at 4pm. Here's the story.

I heard the story earlier. I do not understand why Kenedy conceded. It was not their fault that the game was being postponed. Strange.

Wow, there must be more to this story... I hope someone in the know can let us know.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Sun May 31, 2015 4:20 pm

Hawley & Booker play the following:

Games played at Wayland Baptist - Plainview Texas
Thursday at 5:00 pm
Friday at 1:00 pm
3rd game after game two as required.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:22 am

Here is the story about how our boys had to endure a very long day and a very long bus ride, but in the end they rose to the occation.

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sport ... s5kWvIJc5A

Let's Take It To Booker... Go Bearcats !!!

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:10 am

Flatonia beats Refugio in Game 1 9-2, I heard it's the first time these playoffs Refugio lost the toss and had to play 3 games, so Flatonia and their deep pitching are probably the favorites. Plus those boys pound the ball, 1-9 can all hit and hit hard.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:05 am

Hawley lost a heart breaker 7 to 6 at Wayland Baptist in Plainview. Congrats to Booker on winning game 1.

Go Bearcats today for games 2 and 3.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:46 pm

Well, it was not our day... Ran into a buzz saw !!! Hats off to Booker, a good baseball team. Congratulations to them on advancing to the State Playoffs.

Equally, congratulations to my Hawley Bearcats on a record breaking year for us. We were doubted from the start and picked to be dead last in district. We made it to the Regional Final Round and further than any other Bearcat Baseball team. I am very proud of our kids. Great Season. Hawley Rocks!!!!
Last edited by HawleyRocks on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:13 am

This was definitely a great year for Hawley sports and I still claim the Hawley vs Windthorst football game this season was the most exciting game I have ever watched. Hats off to your girls, boys and coaching staff in all sports this year.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:29 am

HawleyRocks wrote:Well, it was not our day... Ran into a buzz saw !!! Hats off to Booker, a good baseball team. Congratulations to the on advancing to the State Playoffs.

Equally, congratulations to my Hawley Bearcats on a record breaking year for us. We were doubted from the start and picked to be dead last in district. We made it to the Regional Final Round and further than any other Bearcat Baseball team. I am very proud of our kids. Great Season. Hawley Rocks!!!!

Not sure where you got that you were picked last in district? In my opinion the best website for high school baseball, txhighschoolbaseball.com, had you picked 3rd in district to start the year and 9th in the region. You had 7 returning starters from a then 2A playoff team the year before so how you could have been picked last makes no sense to me.

http://txhighschoolbaseball.com/region- ... outlook-2/

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 17/18

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:02 am

Windthorstfan wrote:
HawleyRocks wrote:Well, it was not our day... Ran into a buzz saw !!! Hats off to Booker, a good baseball team. Congratulations to them on advancing to the State Playoffs.

Not sure where you got that you were picked last in district? In my opinion the best website for high school baseball, txhighschoolbaseball.com, had you picked 3rd in district to start the year and 9th in the region. You had 7 returning starters from a then 2A playoff team the year before so how you could have been picked last makes no sense to me.

http://txhighschoolbaseball.com/region- ... outlook-2/

I got this from the parents, I should have checked myself... My Bad... But still an outstanding run for the team that was 3rd in district.

Return to “Texas Baseball”