2019 Baseball

Shooting for the perfect game!
MrBob

2019 Baseball

Postby MrBob » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Well, I guess I will start this off. I know Refugio is ranked around 7ish, or so, but I believe they will be much better than that. Jared Kelley, a junior, gave up football to concentrate on baseball and is a member of the under 18 National team. The advantages of that are numerous, including being coached by some of the best coaches in America, which is huge. Plus, in the rankings, I don’t think they took into the account the additions of Austin Ochoa and Jordan Kelley. Austin Ochoa played for 5A Gregory Portland as a sophomore last year. He had a .315 batting average as a shortstop, and a 1.88 era as a pitcher. I expect those numbers to be better this year as a junior, playing 2A ball. Jordan is an incoming freshman, and is the brother of Jordan. He has played a lot of select ball, and I expect him to have an immediate impact on the team, and I think he will fall into his brothers footsteps, at some point. It’s getting closer to the start of baseball, and I can’t wait. Good Luck.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

Windthorstfan

Re: 2019 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:16 am

gotta score runs and not make untimely errors. You can have all the pitching in the world but if you can't score runs, doesn't do you any good....

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:07 pm

You got that right.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 am

I don't agree with these but here is THSB Pre-season Top 20 & Others...

Diamond Pro / THSB PreSeason 2A Top 20
1. Dallardsville Big Sandy – 7 Starters return from 34-4-1 2A State Championship Team. Brandon Hendrix, Sr, P/OF (Texas Tech, 11 W, 130 K, State Tournament MVP, THCBCA 1st Team All State); Broch Holmes, Sr, P/F (Howard College, 15 HRs, 2A TSWA Player of the Year, 108 Ks)
2. Douglass – 6 Starters return from 28-7 Regional Finalist Team. Jared Holland, Sr, INF (.389 BA, 1st Team All District); Wyatt Tucker, Jr, P (District MVP)
3. Windthorst – 7 Starters return from 25-9-2 Area Finalist Team. Hunter Wolf, Sr, P/SS (THSBCA All State); Sam Mcquerry, Sr, C/P (District Defensive MVP);
4. Gruver – 7 Starters return from 17-8 Regional Finalist Team. Keegan Kelp, Sr, SS/P (.357 BA, 46 K, 1st Team All District); Ferney Vallalobos, Sr, P/1B (.372 BA, 46 K, 1st Team All District)
5. Mason – 7 Starters return from 18-3-1 Regional Semi-Finalist Team. Otto Wofford, Sr, P/SS; Jake Cockerham, Sr, OF; Kyle Montoya, Sr, 2B; Clint Lane, Sr, C
6. Shiner – 8 Starters return from 20-6 Area Finalist Team. Hunter Kloesel, Sr, P/SS (.288 BA, TSWA HM All State, 1st Team All District); Collin Bujinoch, Sr, CF (.306 BA, 3 2B, 20 RBI, 1st Team All District)
7. Riesel – 9 Starters return from 17-12 Regional Quarter Finalist Team. Tanner Smith, Jr, P/UTIL (District Pitcher of the Year); Steven Searcy, Sr, P/C (1st Team All District)
8. Shelbyville – 7 Starters return from 15-6 Area Finalist Team. Cole Ferguson, Sr, P/SS (University of Houst.on); Kaleb Campbell, Sr, OF; Kaleb Campbell, Sr, OF; Kolby Parker, Jr, P/OF
9. Valley Mills – 8 Starters return from 24-9 Regional Semi-Finalist Team. Chase Keeton, Sr, SS/P (McLennan JC, 1st Team All State, 1st Team Super Centex, District MVP); Jace Navarro, Sr, 1B/DH (.430 BA, District Co-Offensive MVP);
10. Albany – 6 Starters return from 17-5-3 Regional Quarter Finalist Team. Ryan Hill, Sr, P (.360 BA, 8W, District Pitcher of the Year); Joshua Dyer, Sr, P/SS (.541 BA, 2W, District Offensive MVP);
11. Trenton – 8 Starters return from 21-7 Area Finalist Team. Efren Aguirre, Sr, 2B (31 H, 24 RBI, .378 BA, 1st Team All District); Justin Lambright, Sr, P/1B (0.00 ERA, 91Ks, .321 BA, TSWA HM All State, 1st Team All Texomaland, District Pitcher of the Year, Northeast Texas Community College);
12. Evadale -7 Starters return from 25-6 Regional Quarter Finalist Team. Parker Moye, Sr, P/INF (Panola JC, TSWA HM All State, 1st Team All District); Judd Powell, Sr, UTIL (.332 BA, 15 RBI, 1st Team All District)
13. Woden – 7 Starters return from 27-7-1 State Semi-Finalist Team. Reid Taylor, Jr, 3B/P (.347 BA, 28 RBIs, 8 Ws, 1st Team All State, 1st Team All District; Khristian Goree, Sr, OF (.351 BA, 31 RS, 22 RBIs, 1st Team All District);
14. Price Carlisle – 7 Starters return from 18-9 Regional Semi-Finalist Team. Trey Adkison, Sr, P/SS (.395 BA, 32 H, 21 RBIs, District Offensive MVP); Walker Adams, Sr, C/P (.282 BA, 22 RS, 21 RBI, 1st Team All District)
15. Refugio – 6 Starters return from 20-3 Regional Quarter Finalist Team. Jared Kelley, Jr, P/SS (TCU, 9W, .337 ERA, 153 Ks, TSWA 1st Team All State, District Pitcher of the Year); Ysidro Mascorro, Jr, C (.391 BA, 2 HR, 2 3B, 1st Team All District
16. Muenster – 4 Starters return from 35-5-1 State Runner-Up Team. Parker McGrew, Sr, 3B/P (.364 BA, 49 RBI, 6 HR, TSWA 2nd Team All State); Garrett Bindel, Jr, 2B (.245 BA, 29 RS, 1st Team All District)
17. Hawley – 7 Starters return from 27-10 Regional Semi Finalist Team. Dylan Frazier, Sr, P/RF (7 W, 2.02 ERA, 70 K, 1st Team All District); Tate Thompson, Jr, P/1B (.407 BA, 30 RBI, 3.32 ERA, 1st Team All District)
18. Burton – 8 Starters return from 19-11 Regional Quarter Finalist Team. Aaron Kohring, Sr, P/1B (.341 BA, 4 HR, 11 2B, 2nd Team All Brazos Valley, District Offensive MVP); Demonderick Winters, Sr, P/CF (.325 BA, 20 RBI, 7 2B, 1st Team All District);
19. Archer City – 7 Starters return from 24-6 Regional Quarter Finalist Team. Connor Byrd, Sr, P/SS; Wes Hilbers, Sr, 3B; Keegan Beaver, Jr, OF
20. Beckville – 1 Starter returns from 36-4 3A State Championship Team. Austin Bryan, Sr, P/3B (6 W, 1.00 ERA, 56 Ks, 1st Team TSWA All State, 1st Team All District)

Next 10 (Alphabetically): Charlotte, Cushing, Freer, Iola, Linden Kildare, Miles, New Deal, Ozona, Smyer, Sundown

MrBob

Postby MrBob » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:56 pm

MrBob wrote:Well, I guess I will start this off. I know Refugio is ranked around 7ish, or so, but I believe they will be much better than that. Jared Kelley, a junior, gave up football to concentrate on baseball and is a member of the under 18 National team. The advantages of that are numerous, including being coached by some of the best coaches in America, which is huge. Plus, in the rankings, I don’t think they took into the account the additions of Austin Ochoa and Jordan Kelley. Austin Ochoa played for 5A Gregory Portland as a sophomore last year. He had a .315 batting average as a shortstop, and a 1.88 era as a pitcher. I expect those numbers to be better this year as a junior, playing 2A ball. Jordan is an incoming freshman, and is the brother of Jordan. He has played a lot of select ball, and I expect him to have an immediate impact on the team, and I think he will fall into his brothers footsteps, at some point. It’s getting closer to the start of baseball, and I can’t wait. Good Luck.

I forgot about Izac Canchola, who came back to Refugio, after a couple of years absence at St. Joseph in Victoria. So that is three good to outstanding players that will mesh in with 5 returning starters for Refugio.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:28 pm

Our district scheduling is very interesting. Instead of playing every team one time and then playing them a second time, our district has scheduled the same teams to play the same week. So Tuesday you play at one site then Friday you play at the opposite site. A pitcher can throw up to 65 pitches on a Tuesday and be eligible to pitch on Friday.

Archer City and Windthorst both have 8 games scheduled between Thursday, March 7 to Tuesday, March 12 (district games on Monday & Tuesday)

gasoline

Postby gasoline » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:36 pm

I kind of like that idea of playing the same team twice in a week. That way if a team only has 1 "ace" they can't only rely solely on him to beat the best teams every time they play.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:25 pm

gasoline wrote:I kind of like that idea of playing the same team twice in a week. That way if a team only has 1 "ace" they can't only rely solely on him to beat the best teams every time they play.

I have no problems with it either - supposedly some of the larger schools districts do the same thing. I don't know if this came from the top of the district or those battling for one of the lower spots. I know a couple of times a team would hold their "ace" out against us or Archer City to pitch games they knew they had a better chance of winning.

Return to “Texas Baseball”