2015 Track Season

Running for the gold!
WindthorstDad

2015 Track Season

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:02 pm

A short story of friendship and great attitude - Yesterday was the last time I would watch one of my own kids run track. Chandler was a senior and one of the favorites in the 110 and 300 hurdles to make regionals. Coaches asked him to run a leg of the 4x100m relay and he he readily agreed. He ran second leg and handed off the baton tied for 2nd place. I then noticed he was holding his leg limping. The leg had tightened up and would not straighten all the way out when he ran. It appeared his day and career were finished. But he wasn't ready to quit. The trainers worked diligently on his leg and he finished the 110 hurdles in 8th place over two seconds past his normal time. he had the trainers work on him again and finished the 300 hurdles in 8th place over 10 seconds pas his normal time. At the end of the race, many of his competitors came over and hugged him. They knew he was a senior and understood what that day meant to him. We were all so proud he could start the race let alone finish. His mother and I waited on him as he spoke quietly to his friends. I was in tears as was his mother, but Chandler turned around to us, smiled and said, well I finished, and then hugged us both. I was astounded and wished I could have such a positive attitude as my son. He was just happy to have had the chance to compete and be with those he loved. All I can say is GOD blessed us with this amazing kid.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

Windthorstfan

Re: 2015 Track Season

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:17 pm

Must have been your military upbringing that taught him yes sir and no sir, but in all my dealings with him he has always been polite. A few other words that come to mind when I think of him:

Humble, competitor, kind, heart of a champion

Sorry to hear his track career came to the end the way it did - kind of came full circle from the injury his sophomore year during football season.

Return to “Track/Cross Country”